News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Gelf and his pet Bird: namegiving!

Started by KZ, July 03, 2010, 11:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the name for the pet Gelf bird be "Oris"?

Yes
No
Maybe
No, see my alternative suggestion below
Indifferent

KZ

Hi folks, this has been raised on the old forums once, and we went through a similar process some time ago when coming up with a name for the Tigs. Thus, here is a thread to suggest names for one of the pets that potential teammate Gelf will have: it's a bird, with relatively low hp, relatively low attack, but which has incredibly high speed and can be used to tip the balance in favour of the play when things are on the knife's edge.
Now, the Tig came from Craig playing around with the name that was generally agreed upon by the forum populace: Sterigma Sprout, Greater Sterigma, etc (initial name idea suggested by Ertxiem).
Thus, if one assumes that this is a real-world bird equivalent, what type of bird should it be (e.g. eagle, hawk, or latin equivalents?) and how can that name be Gelvified?

E.g. there is a Crowned Solitary Eagle, in latin Harpyhaliaetus coronatus. Why not have that as "Haet" or "Haaet" or "Cron" or "Nat"?
Thoughts, folks?
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Barzul

I'd say Oris would be a pretty good name. A one letter change from the Greek root for bird, ornis.

KZ

Neat- I like this suggestion, the name has enough aggression and is a nice cultural reference to ancient Greeks- certainly in line with what we've seen elsewhere!

What think you folks of "Oris"?
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Bromtaghon

Oris is a nice name.  And it reminds me of Horus, Egyptian God of the Sky sometimes associated with falcons.
Quote from: Tastidian on July 02, 2010, 02:52:50 AM
He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends.

Current Elemental Master of Cryokinesis.

Duskling

Oris seems a bit too intelligent a name for the Wood Folk, let alone a pet of theirs.

Duskling

Yes the name sounds good, but does it sound likely?

Bromtaghon

Do people using powers to slow down particles and conjure up ice seem likely, Duskling? Do green elf-men who live in forests? This is a fantasy world, I don't know what's 'likely' for the Folk-of-the-Woods.
Quote from: Tastidian on July 02, 2010, 02:52:50 AM
He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends.

Current Elemental Master of Cryokinesis.

KZ

I don't know about sounding intellgient, Duskling- I think, if we don't think too much about where the word comes from in the real world, I think the name is highly suitable.
Same logic goes with the names for Spriggats- I mean, it was rather amusing, though hardly likely to play with Aristotle and Locke, you know?

Thus, folks, I'll create a poll then to see if everyone likes "Oris" as the name to be given to the pet Gelf bird, or do you have any good alternatives?
Welcome to the forums!

SmartyPants

I want to vote something like "maybe", because I like the name, but I think there could be a better name.

KZ

Voila, thanks for catching- forgot to add a  "maybe" option.

Have you got any suggestions?
Welcome to the forums!

MikeW781

I think it works fine- I've rarely seen a game with this much thought into every name.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Duskling

Alright, I submit to logic, Oris dooes sound pretty good.

KZ

5 yes, 1 maybe so far. If there are no other viable alternative, folks, then, methinks, we'll stick with Oris (thanks, Barzul). Let's see what a few more of you will say on the matter.
Welcome to the forums!

algebra15

Quote from: algebra15 on July 08, 2010, 07:57:57 PM
Bird => Galliformes => Alf or Ifor

The Galliformes order contains such birds as the Rock Ptarmgan, or "snow chicken."

:)

Whoops, I put this in "More About Gelf."
This is Gambit. The cards are about to explode. Goodbye!