News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

How does the Crystal Orb work?

Started by SmartyPants, July 09, 2010, 12:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmartyPants

I understand that the White, Orange, Blue, and Black orbs work just like the Elemental Shields, but how does an orb give a non-spirit Physical Resistance.  How does the Crystal Orb work?

Bromtaghon

Maybe it toughens up its holder's skin or something like that?  Or maybe it forms a weak mind shield around them?
Quote from: Tastidian on July 02, 2010, 02:52:50 AM
He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends.

Current Elemental Master of Cryokinesis.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Bromtaghon on July 09, 2010, 04:51:01 PM
Maybe it toughens up its holder's skin or something like that?  Or maybe it forms a weak mind shield around them?
Wouldn't tougher skin would make higher resistance to every elements(maybe not mind)?  The second theory sounds like Static Shield.

Would spirit's physical resistance work anything like the Crystal Orb?  Spirits use their psy powers to hold themselves together.  Physical attacks distrupt their ability to hold themselves together, but physical attacks don't do much harm because spirits don't have solid bodies.  The most powerful spirits have physical immunity, because their psy defences are so powerful that no physical attacks can distrupt their ability to hold themselves together.

Zhampir

the Crystal Orb temporarily transitions the user into the Ethereal realm, distorting their physical form momentarily avoiding any physical damage.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Zhampir on July 10, 2010, 02:15:50 AM
the Crystal Orb temporarily transitions the user into the Ethereal realm, distorting their physical form momentarily avoiding any physical damage.
That seems too farfetch, but it is the only theory so far that makes sense.

KZ

Methinks it will work along the same lines as a Mind Shield, effectively reinforcing the wearer's armor by, say, putting on an extra layer of molecules (eg like covering something in a polymer, extra durability may insue). Now, that will decrease damage from kinetic attacks.
How can this still work and not affect othere elemental attacks?
Well, even a toughened up armor will heat up significantly upon being hit by a Pyro Blast, thus doing significant heat damage to the person inside it. The force of an impact with the shrads of ice from Cryo Blast will still hit the wearer with significant force and cool the suit down a lot and cause extensive frost bite to the body. Electromagnetic radiation, especially at shorter wavelengths, will easily penetrate through the thickened armor (think gamma radiation- no one is going to wear a meter of lead as armor, just to stop it, and the Crystal orb seems to give the armor only an extra couple of mm in thickness in terms of protection), so a Light Blast will deal the same amount of damage as before. Finally, the "corrosive miasma" of ionized gas deals most damage when inhaled by the user, or goes up into other orifices (e.g. eyes) and then starts to ionize the person from the inside (e.g. like alpha radiation), so a Shadow Blast will remain as potent as ever (also don't forget that no one wears full face-covering helmets, not even Gamblin' Jack and Helena, and evne if they did, those helmets are not hermetically sealed, so the plasma gas will find its way into their lungs).
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

HeadShot

Maybe it brings Metal inside the person hold it's body.
My head got shot up once. And I lived and my head Remained.....

bugfartboy

That post made no sense. And you are attempting to revive a thread that doesn't need revived. It's not really wanted or needed.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Fyer on January 17, 2011, 07:49:09 PMThat post made no sense. And you are attempting to revive a thread that doesn't need revived. It's not really wanted or needed.
I agree that his theory makes no sense, but I am also open to new ideas.

cyso

Perhaps the crystal orb somehow draws power from the users spirit to make them more like a spirit to the point where they resist physical damage, but not to the point where they become float around and have significantly lower health like an actual spirit.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

bugfartboy

That doesn't sound... Unreasonable.

SmartyPants

Quote from: cyso on January 18, 2011, 10:40:55 PMPerhaps the crystal orb somehow draws power from the users spirit to make them more like a spirit to the point where they resist physical damage, but not to the point where they become float around and have significantly lower health like an actual spirit.
It seems far fetch, but not enough to be rejected as a possible theory.

Steel Ersatz Man

Um, I don't mean to sound condescending, but, it IS a game. I mean, come on, psychic powers, it's all fiction. Just saying...
We are the steel alliance. None shall take our hill!

SmartyPants

Quote from: Steel Ersatz Man on January 19, 2011, 01:07:08 PMUm, I don't mean to sound condescending, but, it IS a game. I mean, come on, psychic powers, it's all fiction. Just saying...
How does psychic powers turn living flesh into a spirital body?  Even for fantasy, it seems far fetch.

bugfartboy

IT'S A GHOOO-SSTT OOORRBBB... Ooooooo!!!! Wooohh!!! Maybe instead of it just beig crafted or forged, a powerful spirit was somehow trapped in it so that the bearer of the orb becomes like the spirit to a degree. Including the resistance. But not the flight. Does that make more sense? I mean, we already have ghosts. Why can't one just be trapped telekinetically in a crystal orb?