News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Talking to the merchants!

Started by Fireblasto, March 30, 2010, 11:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fireblasto

You know all those shopkeepers in the main square, why not talk to them? Most tell you to buzz off, but one could ask for your help in the protecting his goods from the bandits. This would be when they would be traded to the clans and/or sommus.

The mission type would be protect. The trade caravan could be on a road, in the middle of the desert, while bandits come from both sides and in front. The layout could be something like this on a bigger scale:

RXBBBBXR
XXXXXXXX
BXTTTTXB
XXTOOTXX
BXTOOTXB

X = unused space O = Trade caravan T = Team members B = Bandits R = Reinforcements

After the fight, you would arrive at your target destination. You would then have to travel back to the merchant to receive a payment.

To make sure that people do not find it too easy and don't use the other bandit fight mission, this 'protect' mission would be seriously hard because of the amount of bandits that come to get the trade caravan. The trade caravan would have health, and if it got too badly damaged the mission would be fail. The bandits do not always attack you however, so there could be a chance that they don't. Something like 1/5

I was also thinking that after so many missions of protecting it, the player could get a orb from the merchant, to actually make the person 'work' for it, instead of 'finding' it. Unless the game dev has already decided where the orbs are going.

Zackirus

Its sounds like a good side-quest battle, but your map in too small.The Regular sized map must be 11 X 8. I think that after you save the merchant (who is under attack from bandits) around 15 times he says everything is fine. He says something like this. You will need this to start your side-quest

1. Achmed *My Friend, You have helped me get rid those bandits. I can know start my business again. You are in my gratitude*

- Glad I could help (Exits Conversation)
- What are you going to do about starting your business again (Go to 2) *Needs 12 Apititude

2. Achmed *I do need a new Caravan, would you mind giving me 1000 gold so that I may buy another one*

- Sure (Give 1000 Gold) (Go 4)
- I don't have the money on me (Go to 3)

3. Achmed *Please, I need to start my business again please get me the money as soon as possible*

- I will as soon as I can (Exits Conversation) (If talked to again go to conversation B)

4. Achmed * Thank You, I am in your dept!"

- Your Welcome (Exits Conversation) (If talked to again go to conversation A)

A.  Achmed *My Friend! How are you? My business is going well.

- That's Good (Exits Conversation)

B.  Achmed * Please, Do you have the 1000 gold for my new caravan

- Yes I Do (Give 1000 gold) (Go to 4)
-  No I sadly don't yet (exit conversation)

You can add on the rest from here...

If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

Fireblasto

Like I said, the map will be on a bigger scale, I couldn't be bothered to create a larger one.

1) Achmed - My Friend! How are you? My business is going well.
- That's Good (Exits Conversation)
- Fine, thank you. How are you? (Go to 2)

2) Achmed - Business is good, but a few bandits keep attacking some of  my caravan's. I can't stop some them with a normal garrison of soldiers.
- What! I thought I had finished them off! (Go to 3)
- Not interested ( Exits Conversation)   

3) Achmed - Yes, but the guard keeps purging its ranks occasionally. New bandits are coming everyday.
- What can I do to help? (Go to 4)
- Not interested ( Exits Conversation)   

4) Achmed - You can protect my most valuable caravan's from harm.
- I'll go right now (Go to 5)
- I'll be back later to help (Exit Conversation)

5) Achmed - Remember! The bandits are again growing again, I wouldn't be surprised if many came to attack my caravan. Good luck!
- (Done)

This is bit is after you have done the first bit of speech:

1) Achmed - How can I help you my friend? My business continues to benefit from your help!
- I'll like to protect your caravan's from attack (Done)
- Never mind (Exits Conversation)

bugfartboy

Nice thought. It would be like protecting general darkeye except several unmoveable objects instead. That also does sound like a good place for an orb.

Steelfist

Firstly, there has been a side quest suggestion for the merchants, already.

Perhaps, when you give him 1000 gold he says "My friend, I am deeply indebted to you. I wish for you to take this, a family heirloom. May it bring you luck."

And that is how you could get an orb!

Zackirus

Quote from: Steelfist on August 13, 2010, 10:09:45 PM
Firstly, there has been a side quest suggestion for the merchants, already.

Perhaps, when you give him 1000 gold he says "My friend, I am deeply indebted to you. I wish for you to take this, a family heirloom. May it bring you luck."

And that is how you could get an orb!

That would be a sneakly place to hide an orb but I think it is too like the Gelf lamb-orb thing
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

Steelfist

You do have to complete a quest (of sorts) first with this. But I see your point.