News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Make character move faster

Started by BasiliskKnight, July 18, 2010, 07:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In Ravinale, do you walk or run with Duvalier?

I walk around, there is no hurry.
I run around, as it takes ages to get from one place to another.
It depends...

KZ

Good, seems many are for the idea.
And given how much attention to detail Craig pays, I would rather have high quality and high speed.
Given the size of Ravinale, and the fact that it might grow bigger (same with Somnus), I think this would become an even bigger problem. I certainly would think this to be a pretty high priority suggestion due to the fact that it could save folks a lot of gaming time (literally, quite a few minutes for every hour played) and rather than getting annoyed at the need to transport between the locations, I'd rather enjoy the actual plot-related content. And since already some realism has been sacrificed for placing random chests (personally, I don't like that), I don't think speeding up the player, or swapping what the shifted and non-shifted walking functions do would do that much harm.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Cypher

Well then, I think we're all in agreement. (Most of us)

Steelfist

bugfartboy

Swapping would be good. It takes forever to get around. But detail is more important.

KZ

Judging on the poll stats, methinks it's worth to bring this topic back to light- I am sure that if 4/5 people think the movement is too slow, it's something worth doing about, especially since TSoG is going to be a long game, and because Ravinale is so large and, lately, also because Craig encourages players to explore, which will take up even more of their time. I think if we're really going for a highly positive experience, we get all the little and big things right.
At the very least what can be done is switching the use of Shift from Run to Walk- as I cannot recall a single time in Ravinale when I wasn't running anywhere. Practically no one walks- why should people keep holding down an extra button all the time- new players will find it irritating and, hence, might not rate the game as favourably or recommend it as positively to others.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

MikeW781

I agree. Just to satisfy everybody, can it be made so that you can choose if running or walking was the default? It was a nice feature in Final Fantasy. A small increase on running speed would also be nice.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Cypher

Quote from: MikeW781 on August 31, 2010, 08:32:31 PM
I agree. Just to satisfy everybody, can it be made so that you can choose if running or walking was the default? It was a nice feature in Final Fantasy. A small increase on running speed would also be nice.
I totally agree. All who are opposed, speak now or forever be silent.

SmartyPants

A running default would be a pain in the Crypts.  It would require one to hold shift, so one doesn't run into a trap.  Is this issue really important enough for Craig to stop creating his story, so he can spend time to make it where you don't have to hold down shift to run?

Cypher

Quote from: im2smart4u on September 01, 2010, 10:21:54 AM
A running default would be a pain in the Crypts.  It would require one to hold shift, so one doesn't run into a trap.  Is this issue really important enough for Craig to stop creating his story, so he can spend time to make it where you don't have to hold down shift to run?
I think he meant whether you could toggle if Shift makes you run or walk.

KZ

I think it is important enough, im2smart4u- check the % of those who run, instead of walk in the game. Given that this is supposed to be a long project with many hours of game play, the amount of time spent moving from one place to another will really start to accumuate. And from experience and speaking to others who play exploration games, most agree that it can be a pain in the back and can, on occaison force people to drop the game for a while- just the sheer annoyance at the fact that someone forgot to talk to someone else on the other side of town and it will take a minute to get there- if enough of those build up, at least part of the gaming experience will be affected in a negative way.  At the very least swapping what shift does with respect to running or walking will make it all much easier- plus, the Crypts are really the only place where you need walk as your running default, and even at that, I only need walk in one place in Crypt 1, so there is a lot of incentive to change those to arround, or have the option to choose which one is the default.
Welcome to the forums!

SmartyPants

So you do find the issue important enough for Craig to make it a bigger priority then continueing the story?

KZ

I find this issue important enough to be included and dealt with before TSoG is released- people complained about this issue in TRPG2 as well. And given how much effort Craig put into this game, and how much user feedback he acted upon, I'd rather not see such a "minor" thing spoil the gaming experience for a proportion of players.
Welcome to the forums!

MikeW781

I agree with KZ. Either shift should toggle movement, instead of needing to hold it, or you should be able to set running as the default movement. Take FFX111 as an example. Its a great game, with fun gameplay, wonderful graphics, and a fun storyline. But after crossing the giant plains that you are at in Chapter 11, I put my game down and haven't played since
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Zackirus

I also agree with KZ on this one. Although, why not instead of holding down sift to walk we have a button in the menu that lets us decide wiether we want to want or run. The Button could be interchangable. Also, I don't think it would be too much of a hassell to change.

Another option would be that pressing the Shift button switches from running to walking (Vice Versa). This would eliminate the holdign of the sift button.

Everybody Wins! Yay!
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

KZ

Seeing as it seems that everyone, save im2smart4u, agrees on the idea, I'll make this topic a sticky for now, so as to ensure Craig notices it and, hopefully, has the time to do something about this.
Welcome to the forums!