News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Somnus Wishlist

Started by KZ, February 10, 2010, 07:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KZ

Carriying on from a popular thread in the old forums (see here) by im2smart4u.
What would you like to see in Somnus (w.r.t. new areas, NPCs, old teammates, old NPCs, changes, etc)?
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Kaseke

Hmm... In the last forums I was a bit late from the conversation that had already started, so I have to post some ideas in here. I think that somnus could be alot bigger than in thesecond game. After all, there are thousands of shadowling living in there. If the queen died, what happened to his castle? I think that you should get inside it in some point. I'd like to see also restraunt, or was it pub, that darkling and shadowboxer own.
If you seek it, you can find it. Freedom can be attained.

KZ

You summed up several of the more popular ideas there, kivatti.The general desire was to see Somnus expnaded, potentially side-ways (e.g. the player can go to the right or left of the central Somnus map and get to another row of buildings). There was general desire to see the Assassin's Square, as well as the pub with Shadowboxer & Darkling, as well as the Library, filled with books, and Grotius/Nightling/Festus in it. Then there was the desire to see inside the palace, possibly to interact with the newly-formed Republican senate. Also, CraigStern commented on an idea of a musuem made inside the palace or the Deeper Downs.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on February 13, 2010, 08:41:42 AM
as well as the Library, filled with books, and Grotius/Nightling/Festus in it. 
I thought Grotius was teaching at the Psy Academy.

KZ

True that, I was thinking how the duo was interactiong in TRPG2, hence the accidental  inclusion. That's another NPC for seeing, Grotius at the Psy Academy.
Welcome to the forums!

Frosty

Well, if people die, that might throw a curveball. Are you just going to assume that everyone is alive? I think it should be made possible so that you take choices in the intro of the game regarding what characters are alive, or just make a system that makes it so as if your stats in the begining are all the same, Festus and Niven died, or you psy power was max, Helena and grotius died, like Mass Effect 2. Do you see what I'm getting at here?

And you should make it so that there is a shadowling in the Barracks (Shadowboxer/Darkling's bar) who you can play at psy wars (Jack's new gambling game).
Yeah, I'm a snowman. Got a problem with that?

KZ

Do you realise, Frosty, just how much programming that will require? It might've been feasible, had there been a team of programmers and story-writers working on this full time, but honestly, I don't think it's worth the effort to add all this additional variation, especially if the characters from TRPG2 might have significant impact on the story of TSoG. (Take the Nameless One, for insatnce.)

Might not be a  bad idea, though there is already one card mini-game present, two might be a bit too much of the same. Something reminding of Jack though, like dice rolling, might be a nice addition though!
Welcome to the forums!

Zhampir

Besides you could very easily revive any characters in TRPG2

Frosty

Makes sense why you wouldn't put it in I suppose.
And Zhamphir, you killed the queen, who is the only reason you can revive people in TRPG2.

Zhampir

Ah, but if one person can learn a skill, certainly another can?
Maybe a shadowling, scared by his days of interrogator finds the way, through his knowledge of the limits of the species' anatomy  and knowledge of healing powers discovers the way to revive characters?
Or simply the Queen was not really the one to revive them, but had enslaved Ghosts, reminding them of their names only if they revived her loyal subjects?

Frosty

You brought up a good point, but there are two problems with your reasoning:
A) The Queen is powerful enough to defy her natural element. Tastiadan was they only other shadowling that can do that. And I doubt another shadowling will take their place as that powerful.
B) The Queen would probably make the ghosts attack you if they were helping her.

Kaseke

Quote from: Frosty on February 19, 2010, 07:38:20 PM
You brought up a good point, but there are two problems with your reasoning:
A) The Queen is powerful enough to defy her natural element. Tastiadan was they only other shadowling that can do that. And I doubt another shadowling will take their place as that powerful.
B) The Queen would probably make the ghosts attack you if they were helping her.

But what if she DID make the ghosts attack you? Remeber the armors you had to fight before the queen? What if they were the ghosts, just in psychical form.(The Queen may have made this possible. After all, The Queen is powerful enought to defy her natural element)
If you seek it, you can find it. Freedom can be attained.

Frosty

The phantom armors were resistant to shadow, not physical like spirits are.

Zhampir

if they were bound to the armor they'd absorb the properties of the armor. So they would have shadow res.

KZ

From the previous forums, it's been decided that the phantom armors were just that: armor that was operated by Nelis at a distance. Speculation had it it might've been the armor of slain warriors of long past, or something else, but it was not ghost in nature. Having it be the armor of Shadowling enemies would also explain the Shadow Resistance: as almost all Shadowlinsg use Shadow attacks, building Shadow-resistant armor would be logical. Also, if Nelis feared an insuurection from her own forces, than she could use the armor to protect herself (or, rather, remove as many enemies as possible beforehand) and it would be easier if the armor was resistant to the attacks of potential rebels. Plus, the Spriggats have rebelled- the most powerful seen so far are the Dark Spriggats, and having Shadow Resistant armor will make it more effective against such an enemy.
Welcome to the forums!