News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Use mouse to walk

Started by mezzoforte, August 10, 2010, 04:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want to be able to use the mouse to walk?

Yes, always
Only in battles
Only exploring (outside of the battles)
Never
Not sure

mezzoforte

It would be cool if the game could be played with mouse-only if you wanted.

By clicking a "non-clickable" part of the screen, the Main would walk to that spot.  By clicking and holding, the character walks in that direction... you continually "steer" him.

Double-clicking makes him run instead of walk.  I've played games with this kind of movement control.

In battles, it would be convenient if you could click on the square you want to walk to!  But a simpler way (for the developer) might be to click on the "next square" you want to move to.  (Just like you do with the keyboard.)

bugfartboy

Hmm... I might like that. Just for a little variety in controls.

SmartyPants

I don't know about that.  When we search for hidden things like in Crypt 2 and Baz's Cellar, it woud be annoying to move every time one clicks.

bugfartboy

Hmm... True. That would become annoying.

mezzoforte

Yea, but doesn't the cursor change to a hand when you hover over the spot?  Do you need to be clicking around to find it?  (I don't know, because I'm not there yet.)

Steelfist

Hmm. Honestly; I don't think it's really necessary. Mouse controls wouldn't add anything, and could become frustrating, so I wouldn't recommend adding it.

Dorgon 5000

Quote from: Steelfist on August 10, 2010, 09:10:49 PM
Hmm. Honestly; I don't think it's really necessary. Mouse controls wouldn't add anything, and could become frustrating, so I wouldn't recommend adding it.

Same here.

bugfartboy

It might be nice but unnecessary. And some of us DO search by clicking.

Cypher

Buggy: this would get decided much faster if you turned it into a poll.

Steelfist

He can't; He didn't create the topic.

But it doesn't seem to matter; few like it, and it has no advantages. But obvious obvious disadvantages. I think it's very unlikely to be added.

Cypher

Quote from: Steelfist on August 11, 2010, 04:18:18 PM
He can't; He didn't create the topic.

But it doesn't seem to matter; few like it, and it has no advantages. But obvious obvious disadvantages. I think it's very unlikely to be added.
Gosh, what's wrong with me?

mezzoforte

I like your animation below....

P.S. It's a poll now, albeit not exactly what you asked for.

MikeW781

Yes. Its more work for Craig, with no gains and some losses.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

SmartyPants

This shouldn't be deleted, because someone might have the same idea and recreat this topic.  If the topic remains, then the person with the same idea would read the responces and realize that no one agrees with him.

Ertxiem

I think that it's a nice idea to be able to use the mouse to move (and the arrow keys too). I also agree that it might give too much work to Craig for the small benefit it gives.

Regarding the pool: even if we all disagree (which is not the case) with the suggestion of using the mouse to walk, there would be no need to delete this thread. Even the suggestions that are turned down in a moment might be used later on (on TSoG or in other games).
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.