News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Thoughts on WWII

Started by Duskling, July 11, 2010, 08:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KZ

Eh, a sad topic, this is. Just to give you a glimpse of what it does feel like on a personal level, rather than abstract, I have been inside (naturally, non operational, and not in the too distant past) one of the gas chambers in Dachau. A dark place, to say the least. One of the more well known concentration camps.
Now, what's written below, is not a pleasant read, so please, if you're young or don't want to read unpleasant stuff, seriously, don't read on.
[spoiler]
Inside, the walls are wooden, and there are fake shower heads- so people don't get scared, y'see (they were told that they're taking a shower), and instead of water came a gas, once they were in. But that was in earleir versions, in later versions tey were less humane, and there are simple numerous holes in the white cieling, a bit like ventilation shafts. And there are a great many of them. People were also given towels, since they were supposed to "take a shower", so some, when the gas started to come out, they wrapped their heads in the towels, hoping that it will slow the gas down, and then maybe they'll live through it. Well, the towels did slow the gas down. But the camp operators well knew of this technique, so they kept it up for 10 minutes, so those with towels simply took much longer to die.  The thing that got to me though, was there there were windows in the room! The walls were very thick, and the windows were located on the outer edge of the wall, but still, the windows could be opened, and there were handles, from what I remember. And the darn thing was, there were, naturally, bars on the inner side of the wall. And what really gets to you, is you could see that it is possible to open the window, and you even can fit your hand through the bars (I tried, and I'm sure camp inhabitants had much skinnier hands than I), but the window was just out of reach. Horrible really- you see an escape, and in your last moments you try and save yourself, but it's just beyond you, failing at the last instant. Terrible. Unpleasant. Sadistic. [/spoiler]

Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Cypher

You don't really know, and can't possibly imagine how WWII is horrible, until you get a taste of it.

bugfartboy

Quote from: KZ on August 30, 2010, 11:34:14 AM
Eh, a sad topic, this is. Just to give you a glimpse of what it does feel like on a personal level, rather than abstract, I have been inside (naturally, non operational, and not in the too distant past) one of the gas chambers in Dachau. A dark place, to say the least. One of the more well known concentration camps.
Now, what's written below, is not a pleasant read, so please, if you're young or don't want to read unpleasant stuff, seriously, don't read on.
[spoiler]
Inside, the walls are wooden, and there are fake shower heads- so people don't get scared, y'see (they were told that they're taking a shower), and instead of water came a gas, once they were in. But that was in earleir versions, in later versions tey were less humane, and there are simple numerous holes in the white cieling, a bit like ventilation shafts. And there are a great many of them. People were also given towels, since they were supposed to "take a shower", so some, when the gas started to come out, they wrapped their heads in the towels, hoping that it will slow the gas down, and then maybe they'll live through it. Well, the towels did slow the gas down. But the camp operators well knew of this technique, so they kept it up for 10 minutes, so those with towels simply took much longer to die.  The thing that got to me though, was there there were windows in the room! The walls were very thick, and the windows were located on the outer edge of the wall, but still, the windows could be opened, and there were handles, from what I remember. And the darn thing was, there were, naturally, bars on the inner side of the wall. And what really gets to you, is you could see that it is possible to open the window, and you even can fit your hand through the bars (I tried, and I'm sure camp inhabitants had much skinnier hands than I), but the window was just out of reach. Horrible really- you see an escape, and in your last moments you try and save yourself, but it's just beyond you, failing at the last instant. Terrible. Unpleasant. Sadistic. [/spoiler]
That's just evil!! I feel really bad for those in the holocaust.

KZ

Indeed, but you can come close by hearing first-witness accounts, to be in the places they were, to see the archives and the material from those times. It also depends on how often its mentioned and how deeply rooted it is in the mentality of the people. Still better than abstract ponderings of the current generation.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Duskling

Quote from: im2smart4u on July 15, 2010, 04:52:57 PM
It is unfair to compare the Japanese's human experimentation and the Nazi's Holocaust to the USA who bombed two cities with the intention to reduce the lost of lives.
Yes, but, as it turns out, the Japanese killed far more Chinese during WWII than Nazis killed Jews.

MikeW781

His point was that the Nazis and Japanese were worse than US. Not that Japan was more or less inhumane than Germany
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Duskling

Quote from: MikeW781 on August 31, 2010, 07:06:20 PM
His point was that the Nazis and Japanese were worse than US. Not that Japan was more or less inhumane than Germany
Sorry, I thought he meant it was unfair to compare the Japanese's murder of the Chinese to the Holocaust. :(

Tastidian

Quote from: KZ on August 30, 2010, 11:34:14 AM
[spoiler]
Inside, the walls are wooden, and there are fake shower heads- so people don't get scared, y'see (they were told that they're taking a shower), and instead of water came a gas, once they were in. But that was in earleir versions, in later versions tey were less humane, and there are simple numerous holes in the white cieling, a bit like ventilation shafts. And there are a great many of them. People were also given towels, since they were supposed to "take a shower", so some, when the gas started to come out, they wrapped their heads in the towels, hoping that it will slow the gas down, and then maybe they'll live through it. Well, the towels did slow the gas down. But the camp operators well knew of this technique, so they kept it up for 10 minutes, so those with towels simply took much longer to die.  The thing that got to me though, was there there were windows in the room! The walls were very thick, and the windows were located on the outer edge of the wall, but still, the windows could be opened, and there were handles, from what I remember. And the darn thing was, there were, naturally, bars on the inner side of the wall. And what really gets to you, is you could see that it is possible to open the window, and you even can fit your hand through the bars (I tried, and I'm sure camp inhabitants had much skinnier hands than I), but the window was just out of reach. Horrible really- you see an escape, and in your last moments you try and save yourself, but it's just beyond you, failing at the last instant. Terrible. Unpleasant. Sadistic. [/spoiler]

KZ this feels like i'm reading my holocaust book when I was in 6th grade. My teacher always taught this for the last quarter of the year. I read an amazing book called the Bielski Brothers. Though the first 20 pages are boring dew to over explanation of th the war but it makes sense with the brothers story. They smuggled 3,000 Jews in a forest. They joined the Russian Partisans to increase their odds for survival. Of course in their camps they had all sorts  of things from Hospitals to Workshops to tailors. They fought some of the most incredible battles too. If you have seen the movie defiance its exactly the story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYZ2oYDSKHA is the trailer. Do not mind the fact that its rated R the trailer does not have any thing to get a R rating but the whole movie does.
Also http://www.usi.edu/music/SITES/MAD/GALLERY/tourgallery/Auschwitz.html has god pics of the most horrible camp in the Holocaust. If you where going there the first thing you would see is burning babies. Due to the fact that babies are useless to their war effort.