News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

golem immunity

Started by mezzoforte, August 18, 2010, 05:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mezzoforte

Shouldn't golems be immune to mental attacks?  At least resistant?

SmartyPants

No.  If it has a mind, then it should be hurt by mental attacks.  Since Golems have minds, then they should be hurt like every other sentient being.

mezzoforte

I thought an energy golem was a machine.

Zackirus

What about Flint! He showed emotion througout the entire game!
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

bugfartboy

Though maybe the could have a physical resistance?

Ertxiem

The way I see it, a sword can hit a golem and make damage, much in the same way a sword can hit a swordsman mechanic with an armour and make damage.

About the mind blast affecting golems, I recall discussing that in the old forums. One of the possible explanations is that mind blast provokes electric currents in the brain of the attacked that affects the connections between neurons (think that it's a short circuit in a brain). If we assume that the golems have a mind controlled by some electric device (or electronic, who knows what the mechanics are capable of), then the mind blast may affect equally the golems.

The way Barzul describes the mind blast in his story The Reign of Nelis the Merciless happens to be much in line with my ideas.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

SmartyPants

A mind blast is to overload a brain with information.  Many viruses damage computers by overloading a them with spam.

Ertxiem

Yep. The flow of information in the brain is associated to electric currents between neurons.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.