News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New Orb Ideas

Started by SmartyPants, August 20, 2010, 12:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KZ

Quote from: im2smart4u on September 06, 2010, 01:59:31 PM
I also don't "nays" should count unless you give a reason behind it.
We count both the "yay" and the "nays", nomatter what reason is given- be that emotional (for some reason a "yay I like it" counts without question - the reverse should also be counted then) or otherwise.
'Cause what you propose in the real world is called "election rigging".

Fine, folks- can you kindly re-vote on the mental resistance orb.

I vote "yay" with a clause I mention in the previous post.

Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

ArtDrake

I vote "Nay" as in no. (Just to be extra-clear)

MikeW781

I have been swayed by the arguements posted here- I vote "yay"
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

KZ

Guess we overlooked that part- not sure if that would present certain problems for Craig to code in and to allow inanimate objects to keep their physical immunity.  A very good point, that!

Though, maybe, one can explain that since a mind blast, for instance, works by overloading synapses with info, thefore creating many electric currents in the brain- if that's applied to a stone or a plant, surely a though which is given electric form will deal some damage to them?
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on September 06, 2010, 05:14:43 PMThough, maybe, one can explain that since a mind blast, for instance, works by overloading synapses with info, thefore creating many electric currents in the brain- if that's applied to a stone or a plant, surely a though which is given electric form will deal some damage to them?
That is a stretch. 

Duskling, try to mention this stuff before formulation.

Duskling

Quote from: im2smart4u on September 06, 2010, 06:15:58 PM
Duskling, try to mention this stuff before formulation.
Sorry, I don't think I noticed that idea earlier, I don't pay much attention to the wishlist anymore.

KZ

Agree 100% there- it's a big stretch. Suggest making battlefield objects exception to the rule, thus shall we vote on this?

I don't think he was online when we formulated it. Plus, you know, ideas come and go, and not always in a timely fashion.

Welcome to the forums!

bugfartboy

Vote on what? What did I miss?

[spoiler]Why doesnt someone just set up a poll to vote? Then take the stats to find whether or not to include it? Then remove the poll.[/spoiler]

KZ

Ok:  Duskling highly perceptively noted that the orb which reduces immunity to resistance will also affect battlefield objects, but surely if they have no brain, things like mind blast (overloading brain with info) and the likes shouldn't work on them?
Thus, I suggest that the "battlefield objects" class of enemies should not be affected by the orb.

About polls: believe it or not, this is actually faster and more coherent/productive: it's like the roman forums, everyone has their say, one can give arguments for and against, and this is also open voting, so if people really wanted something, they could attempt to politely persuade the other person of their views and know which objections to try and counter.
Welcome to the forums!

KZ

Quote from: im2smart4u on September 06, 2010, 06:28:02 PM
Can we rename this topic to avoid confusion?
Why? It is discussion about new orb ideas and how to best apply them: we just simply found a fault with one of the ideas and are quickly coming up with a "patch".
The poll for the mental orb resistance is still on, so a new orb idea is still under discussion.
Welcome to the forums!

ArtDrake

We don't necessarily need to hear the reasons. The users voting are supposed to represent the players of the game. Not all of them would have a spoken reason for not really thinking that the mental resistance orb had been worth adding.

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on September 06, 2010, 04:49:01 PM
Quote from: im2smart4u on September 06, 2010, 01:59:31 PM
I also don't "nays" should count unless you give a reason behind it.
We count both the "yay" and the "nays", nomatter what reason is given- be that emotional (for some reason a "yay I like it" counts without question - the reverse should also be counted then) or otherwise.
'Cause what you propose in the real world is called "election rigging".

Fine, folks- can you kindly re-vote on the mental resistance orb.

I vote "yay" with a clause I mention in the previous post.
Like in Congress, you are expected to give a reason behind your vote.  How else will be able to discuss it.  If you didn't clearify your reason behind you earlier vote, then we wouldn't come to a consensus.

KZ

Well, those who wish, can voice their reasons, whilst others simply can clearly indicate what they're voting for. Certainly makes my role much easier, especially as sometimes people change their votes, etc.

In any case, what vote you on the issue with the immujnity/reisstance orb?

im2smart4u: unlike in congress, some people are judging by their "gut feelings" and simple likes/dislikes, which is fine aorund here- after all, we're trying to find suggestions which have the most appeal to fans, thus emulating a political system will not quite correctly model the current situation (it's like taking opinion polls of the voters- some may have very good logical reasons, whislt others vote out of pure emotion).
Welcome to the forums!

Ertxiem

Perhaps the pool could be in a different thread and people could change their mind. The discussion would be on that specific thread. It may have the disadvantage of spreading too much the discussions.

For the "mind resistance orb" I vote a not too enthusiastic yay.

The enemy resistance reducer orb may even work on battlefield objects. Either directly affecting microbes living in it (making them explode with mind blast :P ) or indirectly, say, by Duvalier being able to feel the presence of little bits of metal (or other conductive materials) and creating electric currents that, in turn, create electro-magnetic fields in them that would push different parts of the material apart, thus effectively dealing damage. A bit far-fetched but not impossible.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

SmartyPants

Mental Resistance vote
"Nay"
*Duckling
*Cypher
*The Holy namelesskitty

"Yay"
*KZ
*MikeW781
*Ertxiem
*im2smart4u
*Zackirus
*bugfartboy

Does anyone want to add or change their vote?