News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New Orb Ideas

Started by SmartyPants, August 20, 2010, 12:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArtDrake

Does this orb apply to teammates? After all, Duvalier sees the weaknesses, and he's also speaking to them in their heads, so he could tell them where the weak spots were in an enemy.

KZ

Nope: all the orbs apply solely to Duvalier. In this case, I think it's pretty easy to explain- you cannot make a blind person see a bird on a tree, you can point it out to them, but they'll still not see it. I think it's the same here, the fluctuations in defense are so fast, that by the time Duvalier conveyed part of the message, it will be too late- too much info in too much short time (ike trying to do as many tasks per second as your computer does: you simply cannot keep up with that).
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

ArtDrake

Got it.

My bad. When you said
QuoteIblis will be affected only by attacks of Duvalier and no one else. Having even a single teammate who can pack a punch with mind blast would be useful. Iblis' immunity will be not as effective, and resistance will also be halved. Thus, the orb will affect both of the properties.
I thought you were implying that Duvalier could do damage normally, and no one else, but the orb would change that.

SmartyPants

Quote from: The Holy namelesskitty on September 06, 2010, 07:21:34 PM
Nay, bacause an orb will have a very hard time protecting you physically, as for the other, it just gives me a sense that even though it sounds good it will not go over well.
I don't know which orb you are talking about, becuase your reasoning wouldn't make sense for either orb.  Which doesn't protect physically and which orb "will not go over well".

ArtDrake

@ im2smart4u

In reference to the mental orb, I had been saying that I personally did not have a use for it, and that based solely on my own judgement, I would not have used the orb in-game. The people that want the orb in the game can vote for themselves. What if everyone voted yes because they thought everyone else was voting yes, not because they personally liked the idea.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling on September 06, 2010, 08:15:30 PMIn reference to the mental orb, I had been saying that I personally did not have a use for it, and that based solely on my own judgement, I would not have used the orb in-game. The people that want the orb in the game can vote for themselves.
Quote from: im2smart4u on September 06, 2010, 07:24:05 PMYou said how you see how other people could use the orb, but since you couldn't use it yourself, then you didn't want it in the game.
As you can see, I know what you met.  You don't think it is a bad idea, but you don't see yourself ever using it.  Therefore, you vote nay.

I have a solution for the elmental reduction thingy orb.  Why don't we just ignore immunities, because immunities are too perfect for the orb to find imperfections in.  It would be much simpler, if the orb only effected resistances.

ArtDrake

Sounds good. I guess I'll just have to add a teammate to play the Bandit Stronghold battle with. Until he learns Knife.

Ertxiem

About the elemental resistance reduction orb.
You mean like disabling all resistances (0%) or still reducing them to 25%?
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

ArtDrake

I think it's the 25% one.

Ertxiem

What about an orb that increases Duvalier's Sight, meaning that it's easier for him to see in detail more of the enemies' weaknesses and pass that information to his teammates, thereby allowing everybody to deal 10% more damage on all the attacks.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

SmartyPants

Quote from: im2smart4u on September 06, 2010, 06:45:59 PM
Mental Resistance vote
"Nay"
*Duckling
*Cypher
*The Holy namelesskitty

"Yay"
*KZ
*MikeW781
*Ertxiem
*im2smart4u
*Zackirus
*bugfartboy

Does anyone want to add or change their vote?
Is this good enough to formulate?
There are only three who oppose it.  Duckling doesn't dislike the idea, but he doesn't see himself using it, so I wouldn't consider him strongly opposing it.  Cypher (or whatever his new name is) has yet to explain his reasoning behind naying the orb, so it is impossible to be sure where he stands.  I don't understand what The Holy namelesskitty's reasons are due to his unclear explanation.

ArtDrake

Do you know exactly what the artist formerly known as bugfartboy's reasons are for yay-saying?

bugfartboy

1. It's APoC now.
2. What am I yay-saying?
3. Why am I an artist?

KZ

That would be mental resistance, bugfartboy.

Ok, right now it's 6 "yays", two of them quite lukewarm, versus 3 "nays", just barely on the line for cutting it in- there is quite a large nay minority. I'll add it to formulated.

Now, can all kindly and clearly vote on the issue of the immunity/resistance orb please?
Personally, I would find the orb much more useful/powerful if it affected immunities as well as resistances- for resistances you deal damage to an enemy anyway, but there are some battles in TPA2 where a certain immunity would mean that some teams were not able to beat a single enemy and required special teammates! Thus, I strongly oppose the idea of dropping immunities (although it is a rather neat solution to the problem, im2smart4u), and try to decide whether we should include inanimate objects on the list of things whose immunities are reduced to resistance status by he orb's effects (for Duvalier only).

I don't really like an idea of an orb which affects teammates as well as Duvalier, Ert- sorry about that, but it's  a "nay" from me.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

bugfartboy

I vote yay for mental resistance because I think it might be nice to complete the set. And Ert got the idea for that orb from a post of mine in new attacks for teammates. It was originally an idea for Luca that would temporarily boost all team mates max health for one turn.