News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Golden Spriggat

Started by SmartyPants, February 13, 2010, 11:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you like to see a Spriggat with a light affinity?

Definitely
30 (61.2%)
Yes
24 (49%)
Maybe
8 (16.3%)
No
2 (4.1%)
Hell No
3 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

bugfartboy

Aphrodite was a god in ancient Greek. Am I right? Cleopatra might be a good idea for an enemy female spriggat.

KZ

PinkPanzer, what does the Greek mythology, although interesting, have anything to do with the topic on hand? You're not exactly offering any names, and from the criteria, it seems that people who really exitsed, or there is a high degree of possibility of their existence, were used for creating Spriggat names.

Cleopatra was a very powerful, highly influential woman, and she was also real, which seems to fit the bill well for the names for Light Spriggat females.
Although the discussion is interesting, I would think that at this stage (what with the members proposing the Light Spriggat enemy and the stats, different roles as NPCs and explanations as to why the Light Spriggat wasn't seen before, and a vast majority wanting to see a Light Spriggat in the game), it would be nice to get some feedback from Craig himself, as we can go on and on developing further (and we have come up with quite a few things for light spriggats) this idea, but it would be great to know if there is any hope of inclusion of such species in TSoG in any way, methinks.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Ertxiem

Furthermore, Cleopatra has the advantage of being from ancient Egypt and the style of TSoG is related to that area of the Earth.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

Tastidian

Andromeda in Greek mythology, princess of Ethiopia, daughter of King Cepheus, king of Ethiopia, and Cassiopeia. According to most legends Cassiopeia angered Poseidon by saying that Andromeda (or possibly Cassiopeia herself) was more beautiful than the nereids. Poseidon sent a sea monster to prey upon the country; he could be appeased only by the sacrifice of the king's daughter. Andromeda in sacrifice was chained to a rock by the sea; but she was rescued by Perseus, who killed the monster and later married her. Cassiopeia, Cepheus, and Andromeda were all set among the stars as constellations.

I don't think the name's history will fit any character but I do like the name.

KZ

The name is nice, but so far all the Spriggat names were referring to real people (or those, whose existence is highly likely- like Socrates), not myths and legends.

Indeed, Ert. I really like Cleopatra, actually- it has appeal to it. Can anyone think of any other, quiet ancient, names?
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Ertxiem

I also remembered Nefertiti, but I think she's not as well known as Cleopatra.
But, for completeness sake, somebody may want to take a look at Queens consort of Pharaohs (a number of them became Pharaohs themselves later in life).
Ert, the Dead Cow.

KZ

Ahhh yes, Nefertiti, how could I forget her! Well, the argument for including this interesting woman is that it will expand people's horizons and they'll learn something new ;)
(Think about it- how many more people found out that there was a philosopher by the surname of Locke, and Hobbes, etc?)
Welcome to the forums!

MikeW781

Quote from: KZ on September 03, 2010, 05:10:02 PM
Ahhh yes, Nefertiti, how could I forget her! Well, the argument for including this interesting woman is that it will expand people's horizons and they'll learn something new ;)
(Think about it- how many more people found out that there was a philosopher by the surname of Locke, and Hobbes, etc?)
I doubt it- most people probably either recognized it, or thought the names were made up.
I kind of prefer the idea of sticking with philosophers, especially obscure ones, because it seems more original. If there was a character named Kain (FFIV), you immeadiately know he will betray people and it makes the story less fun. Even if it isn't true, it kills immersion and makes you predict the ending. Also, famous rules have such defined personalities and expected actions, where as philosophers names don't.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

KZ

I wouldn't agree with that- those who read the philosopher's works would expect to see them act in certain ways and hold certain beliefs. This is more like being names after someone- I don't think naming here should be indicative of what the characters do (and so far, it hasn't really been, at least, not with Spriggats- after all, would you expct 3 philosophers to be assassins?).
I think this is good for the more intellectually inclined- if they notice at least one name they recognize, they might wonder if there are any other names which might be of persons of interest and will go and look them up.
Welcome to the forums!

Tastidian

Continuing the ancient Egypt plot what about Hatshepsut one of the most successful female pharaohs, reigning longer than any other woman of an indigenous Egyptian dynasty.

Xemadus Echina

i definitely like the idea of using Egyptian names for the light spriggats.  Something about them being sort of golden and having the names of female Egyptian Pharaohs and other well known female Egyptians from the days of the Pharaohs.
im writing a book!
http://sinisterdesign.net/forum/index.php?topic=236.0;topicseen
heres a free verse poem I wrote for school
You never know
Just what you will find after you
Lost your favorite thing. But
The important thing is that the
Game you play will help you to get by.

The Holy namelesskitty

I concur egyptian names are great idea for light spriggats.
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

SmartyPants

QuoteGolden Spriggat - flying fighters with a claw attack and light-based breath attacks that hit multiple spaces in a row. Strong against light attacks, but weak to shadow.
We going to see a Spriggat with light affinity in Telepath Tactics, but I am still hoping to see them in TSoG.  What do you guys think?

Duskling

Quote from: im2smart4u on June 11, 2011, 03:33:08 PM
QuoteGolden Spriggat - flying fighters with a claw attack and light-based breath attacks that hit multiple spaces in a row. Strong against light attacks, but weak to shadow.
We going to see a Spriggat with light affinity in Telepath Tactics, but I am still hoping to see them in TSoG.  What do you guys think?
I'd still like to see them in TSoG, but, at this stage, I don't think that's very likely.

Ertxiem

OK. I'm moving it.
Done.

Regarding seeing a Golden Spriggat, I think it's possible to see one in the latter stages of the game, perhaps in Somnus or in Lake Alto.
I think I (or somebody else) suggested before that we might even fight one of those in a battle to prove that we have the ability to defeat the Cult (and, who knows, get some troops).
Ert, the Dead Cow.