News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

What's your religion?

Started by Cypher, August 23, 2010, 11:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

Gah. Dontcha know it's Romans 3:23? And don't hate on me and gang up on me. I'm going away for the weekend.

ArtDrake

Who would want to be as glorious as a God that is so controlling, demanding, creepy, and downright insecure?

(Dictates your fate, asks tithes, tells people to commit atrocious crimes against women/children, and wants constant worship so people don't see the flaws he supposedly doesn't have)

bugfartboy

Quote from: Duckling on November 12, 2010, 11:24:26 PM
Who would want to be as glorious as a God that is so controlling, demanding, creepy, and downright insecure?

(Dictates your fate, asks tithes, tells people to commit atrocious crimes against women/children, and wants constant worship so people don't see the flaws he supposedly doesn't have)
What makes you think so? And what flaws? He survived centuries without correct worship until the arrival of Jesus. And he doesn't dictate our fate. We decide for ourselves. Such as in the Garden of Eden. Did God say,"And Adam shall eat of the tree I specifically said not to eat from"?

Steel Ersatz Man

Quote from: Bugfartboy on November 12, 2010, 03:36:49 PM
Sorry. The way you just left it on it's own suggested that you care nothing for human life. We are worth more than blue-green foamy pond scum you know.

Well, technically, we are just chemicals. We've got enough iron in us to make a small nail, some carbon (what coal and diamonds are made of) and we're 70% (genetically) similiar to a tree.
We are the steel alliance. None shall take our hill!

bugfartboy

Quote from: Genesis 2:7
And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.
I don't doubt that we are mostly carbon. God formed us by hand out of the dust of the earth. He gave man something that the other beasts of the earth didn't have: To made into the likeness of God and have a soul. We were made perfect in originality. But then Adam broke the only rule God had made. He ate of the Tree of the Knowlege of Good and Evil. He sinned. And it's been buried in us ever since.

ArtDrake

Wait a sec... sins are hereditary?

cyso

Basically, yeah. Adam and Eve represented the entire human race. They were innocent, completely without knowledge of evil. They had one command, and they disobeyed it. If you think it is unfair that all of human kind fell with them, think about it. They were innocent, more innocent than a child at birth. Yet, with the temptation of the devil and each other, they fell. If any other human had been in the same scenario, they would have failed too. Once they ate the fruit of the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, they, and the entire human race, gained the knowledge of good and evil.
(Edit: I remember now, Adam and Eve did represent the entire human race)
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

bugfartboy

It was put into their genes and passed down from generation to generation until this very day. And Eve had had kids already. That's why it was such a punishment to have pain in childbirth. Sin became our mortal inheritance.

ArtDrake

Oh, HECK NO! Don't diss the science of genetics by putting religion into it. Sin is NOT an evolutionary advantage, and would be bred out. Furthermore, your take on the SCIENCE of genetics is that theoretically, one could remove the S-iN gene from an embryo, and you would thus have another non-sinning human, that didn't need to be Christian. I can't believe you would sully the field like that.

Anyway, I thought that the tempting serpent was Lilith, not the devil...

bugfartboy

Nope. The devil, who had been cast from heaven. And I had been using the genes as an example.

cyso

Sin is not exactly a genetic thing, it's a part of being a human.
Quote from: Duckling on November 14, 2010, 08:02:59 PM
Sin is NOT an evolutionary advantage, and would be bred out.
Not all genetic disadvantages are bred out. Several things come to my mind, like albinism, sickle cell, Huntington's disease, and pretty much every other genetic disease.

TheWanderingShadow

No one is actually sure who the serpent was. He may have been possessed by the devil, or maybe he was just a nasty snake. Most Christians believe that it was the devil, for the verses
"And I will put enmity
between you [the serpent] and the woman,
and between your offspring and hers;
he will crush your head;
and you will strike his heel."
from the book of Genesis are often interpreted as Jesus later defeating the devil.

Anyway, I thought that the tempting serpent was Lilith,
I'm sorry, who's Lilith?
_   _   _   ___     ___     _   _    ___   |  |
\ \/  \/ / '| _  \  / / \ \  |  \| |  / /  _  |_|
\_/\_ /   |_|\'\  \ \ / /  |_\_ |  \ \_./   O

MikeW781

Quote from: yogc elf on November 14, 2010, 08:53:54 PM
Not all genetic disadvantages are bred out. Several things come to my mind, like albinism, sickle cell, Huntington's disease, and pretty much every other genetic disease.
They aren't always bred out, but they usually are. Otherwise we'd all have that type of problem.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

cyso

I have no clue what Lilith is. I don't think it's in the bible.
I'm fairly sure that the serpent was possessed by the devil. When God created all of the animals, he saw that they were good. So, it wouldn't make sense that a snake, created by God, would tempt Eve. Plus, Jesus defeating the devil does match the verses. Jesus defeated sins/the devils claims on people, hence the "crush your head", but died a painful death (and took the full wrath of God that he had against our sins), hence the "strike his heel."
Edit: Sorry Mike, I didn't see your post. Sickle cell and albinism (and probably Huntington's disease) are caused by recessive genes, so they don't manifest themselves even if they are still in your DNA. So, even if we all had some genes that could cause these problems, we wouldn't all have the problem, since the genes would be inactive. Just because the disease doesn't show doesn't mean it isn't there.

ArtDrake

Thank you, Mike. And most genetic diseases maintain their existence by being recessive, and thus carriable, for a few generations, but die out in time. These disease you mentioned are simply among the most common mutations. Sickle-cell is even an advantage of sorts in malaria-infested areas, in that the malaria parasite cannot live inside the "sickle" cells.