News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

What's your religion?

Started by Cypher, August 23, 2010, 11:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypher

Most religions just don't make any sense.

Cypher

Quote from: bugfartboy on August 28, 2010, 01:25:40 PM
Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea.

-Revalations 21:1
I don't get your point.

Cypher

Christianity is interesting, though I think there are some flaws (no offence)

Cypher

I will eventually, after doing some research (sometimes I confuse religions and I don't want to offend people).

Cypher

Quote from: Cypher on August 28, 2010, 01:39:46 PM
Christianity is interesting, though I think there are some flaws (no offence)
For example, I don't quite believe that, just because you don't believe in Jesus, you should be eternally punished. No proof, and everlasting punishment for not believing in a religion while there are lots of other religions around to steal your attention...

Cypher

Quote from: bugfartboy on August 28, 2010, 02:15:07 PM
There is proof. The perfection of the entire universe screams "THERE IS A GOD!!!!" at us.
Quote from: bugfartboy on August 28, 2010, 11:46:02 AM
Fact: a man fell into a fire and lost 90% of all his skin. Fact: the doctors told him that they would need a skin transplant. Fact: as he was going into sugery, the doctors peeled away the bandages to find all the skin healed. How did that happen? The man was Christian.
What about miracles? The scream it too. And if there is God, who by the way is perfect, does not lie, and is the same yesterday, today, and forever, says he sent his son to die in our place, why don't we believe him?
Perfection? I'm going to have to disagree. I believe in science, not religion.

MikeW781

First off, I'm liking this debate- its about something very personal, and important, but everybody is being very mature.
Next up bugfartboy,
Quote from: bugfartboy on August 28, 2010, 02:15:07 PM
There is proof. The perfection of the entire universe screams "THERE IS A GOD!!!!" at us.
Quote from: bugfartboy on August 28, 2010, 11:46:02 AM
Fact: a man fell into a fire and lost 90% of all his skin. Fact: the doctors told him that they would need a skin transplant. Fact: as he was going into sugery, the doctors peeled away the bandages to find all the skin healed. How did that happen? The man was Christian.
What about miracles? The scream it too. And if there is God, who by the way is perfect, does not lie, and is the same yesterday, today, and forever, says he sent his son to die in our place, why don't we believe him?
How about Islam? Or Judaism? Both believe in one God who made the universe, why should they suffer merely because they don't believe in Jesus also?
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Tastidian

Quote from: bugfartboy on August 28, 2010, 03:08:03 PM
If I am correct (I am sorry if I am not and I offended anyone), the Jewish people are the decendents of Isreal, which is the nation God chose to call "His chosen people", therefore, I believe they will be spared. And to the Islamic faith: they do believe in Jesus. They belive that he will return and force all into the Islamic faith (am I religously correct?). They also believe that Allah, their God, is to distant to care about them. But If Allah is God, why does he/she/it not care? He/she/it created life right? I also have a tidbit of information that re-enforces my general idea. Just PM me for it.
To add to that its all the same really its just the fact of is it Jesus Mohammed or Abraham(not so sure it is for this one though.)

MikeW781

Quote from: bugfartboy on August 28, 2010, 03:08:03 PM
If I am correct (I am sorry if I am not and I offended anyone), the Jewish people are the decendents of Isreal, which is the nation God chose to call "His chosen people", therefore, I believe they will be spared. And to the Islamic faith: they do believe in Jesus. They belive that he will return and force all into the Islamic faith (am I religously correct?). They also believe that Allah, their God, is to distant to care about them. But If Allah is God, why does he/she/it not care? He/she/it created life right? I also have a tidbit of information that re-enforces my general idea. Just PM me for it.
Muslims believe Jesus exsisted, but was only a prophet. Mohammed is their savior, who they believe will return

Cypher

Quote from: bugfartboy on August 28, 2010, 02:21:09 PM
Explain how its imperfect.
Well, it's true that it's all very convenient (a nice warm habitable planet, a relatively peaceful society, etc.), but if there is a God, then why does he let tons of innocent people suffer and die in accidents, etc? Why doesn't he come to us, or give us a vision (or something of the kind) to prove he exists and all the other religions are fake? Why do we have to eternally suffer just because we don't believe in him/her/it?

Duskling

Quote from: Cypher on August 29, 2010, 01:30:15 AM
Well, it's true that it's all very convenient (a nice warm habitable planet, a relatively peaceful society, etc.)
It's not convenient, we live in an enormous universe with tens of thousands of galaxies, odds are, there will be a civilized race on a habitable planet, am I right? Also, on a non/slightly-related not,  since the universe is so gigantic, there has to be other life out there, just not intelligent or curious enough to reach here yet.

Cypher

Quote from: Duskling on August 29, 2010, 02:10:54 AM
Well, it's true that it's all very convenient (a nice warm habitable planet, a relatively peaceful society, etc.)
It's not convenient, we live in an enormous universe with tens of thousands of galaxies, odds are, there will be a civilized race on a habitable planet, am I right? Also, on a non/slightly-related not,  since the universe is so gigantic, there has to be other life out there, just not intelligent or curious enough to reach here yet.
I meant the earth only.
Quote from: bugfartboy on August 29, 2010, 02:04:06 AM
Because it's life.
[spoiler]Recount of the Murder of John the Baptist
3  For Herod had laid hold of John and bound him, and put him in prison for the sake of Herodias, his brother Philip's wife. 4 Because John had said to him, "It is not lawful for you to have her." 5 And although he wanted to put him to death, he feared the multitude, because they counted him as a prophet.
6  But when Herod's birthday was celebrated, the daughter of Herodias danced before them and pleased Herod. 7 Therefore he promised with an oath to give her whatever she might ask.
8  So she, having been prompted by her mother, said, "Give me John the Baptist's head here on a platter."
9  And the king was sorry; nevertheless, because of the oaths and because of those who sat with him, he commanded it to be given to her. 10 So he sent and had John beheaded in prison. 11 And his head was brought on a platter and given to the girl, and she brought it to her mother. 12 Then his disciples came and took away the body and buried it, and went and told Jesus.
Matthew 14 [/spoiler]

Why did he let John the Baptist die? It's part of his plan. You never know when the end of your life is near. And as to why he doesn't speak directly to us, he created a famine. A famine of Him. Why? The Isrealites kept turning away from him, so like always he punished them. And that punishment affects everyone, even today. That is why he doesn't speak directly to us through a burning bush. [spoiler]Moses at the Burning Bush
1 Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian. And he led the flock to the back of the desert, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. 2 And the Angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire from the midst of a bush. So he looked, and behold, the bush was burning with fire, but the bush was not consumed. 3 Then Moses said, "I will now turn aside and see this great sight, why the bush does not burn."
4  So when the Lord saw that he turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, "Moses, Moses!" And he said, "Here I am."
5  Then He said, "Do not draw near this place. Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground." 6 Moreover He said, "I am the God of your father—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look upon God.
7  And the Lord said: "I have surely seen the oppression of My people who are in Egypt, and have heard their cry because of their taskmasters, for I know their sorrows. 8 So I have come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up from that land to a good and large land, to a land flowing with milk and honey, to the place of the Canaanites and the Hittites and the Amorites and the Perizzites and the Hivites and the Jebusites. 9 Now therefore, behold, the cry of the children of Israel has come to Me, and I have also seen the oppression with which the Egyptians oppress them. 10 Come now, therefore, and I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring My people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt." 11 But Moses said to God, "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?" 12 So He said, "I will certainly be with you. And this shall be a sign to you that I have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall serve God on this mountain." 13 Then Moses said to God, "Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they say to me, 'What is His name?' what shall I say to them?" 14 And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.' " 15 Moreover God said to Moses, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel: 'The Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This isMy name forever, and this is My memorial to all generations.' 16 Go and gather the elders of Israel together, and say to them, 'The Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob, appeared to me, saying, "I have surely visited you and seen what is done to you in Egypt; 17 and I have said I will bring you up out of the affliction of Egypt to the land of the Canaanites and the Hittites and the Amorites and the Perizzites and the Hivites and the Jebusites, to a land flowing with milk and honey." ' 18 Then they will heed your voice; and you shall come, you and the elders of Israel, to the king of Egypt; and you shall say to him, 'The Lord God of the Hebrews has met with us; and now, please, let us go three days' journey into the wilderness, that we may sacrifice to the Lord our God.' 19 But I am sure that the king of Egypt will not let you go, no, not even by a mighty hand. 20 So I will stretch out My hand and strike Egypt with all My wonders which I will do in its midst; and after that he will let you go. 21 And I will give this people favor in the sight of the Egyptians; and it shall be, when you go, that you shall not go empty-handed. 22 But every woman shall ask of her neighbor, namely, of her who dwells near her house, articles of silver, articles of gold, and clothing; and you shall put them on your sons and on your daughters. So you shall plunder the Egyptians." [/spoiler]

You can't just say that! I assume that since you said that you have no argument against mine:
Quote from: bugfartboy on August 28, 2010, 02:21:09 PM
Explain how its imperfect.
Well, it's true that it's all very convenient (a nice warm habitable planet, a relatively peaceful society, etc.), but if there is a God, then why does he let tons of innocent people suffer and die in accidents, etc? Why doesn't he come to us, or give us a vision (or something of the kind) to prove he exists and all the other religions are fake? Why do we have to eternally suffer just because we don't believe in him/her/it?

Cypher

I agree there can't be life without death, but how do explain all the innocent people dying?

MikeW781

Quote from: bugfartboy on August 29, 2010, 08:15:07 AM
Duskling: How do we know how large the universe is? Has anyone ever been to the edge of it to measure?
Science. First site i found on the matter. The universe is either infinite, or so large that it doesn't really matter, especially because the universe is constantly expanding. In fact, New planets are still being formed.

The Holy namelesskitty

Quote from: Cypher on August 29, 2010, 09:56:49 AM
I agree there can't be life without death, but how do explain all the innocent people dying?
people might be dying because god knows that a world of infinite people would be a worse thing than everyone dying when it's their time.
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic