News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

What's your religion?

Started by Cypher, August 23, 2010, 11:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duskling

Quote from: cyso on February 05, 2011, 02:04:38 PM
Just out of curiosity, and since this thread is the "What's your religion?" thread, I would like to know how much you or anyone else actually knows about Christianity. You could give me a summary of what you know about it if you don't mind.
Is that a challenge?

bugfartboy

I think he just did. I really don't know what I'm saying. I didn't get your question.

cyso

Quote from: Duskling on February 05, 2011, 10:40:11 PM
Just out of curiosity, and since this thread is the "What's your religion?" thread, I would like to know how much you or anyone else actually knows about Christianity. You could give me a summary of what you know about it if you don't mind.
Is that a challenge?

No, I just want to know how much you know.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

Duskling

Quote from: cyso on February 06, 2011, 02:49:51 PM
Quote from: Duskling on February 05, 2011, 10:40:11 PM
Is that a challenge?

No, I just want to know how much you know.
Alright, thanks, because it sounded like you were going to go im2smart4u on us, teaching us something while being brutally smart and honest.

cyso

I'm going to avoid brutality. Honestly, I don't expect you to be a theologian or anything, so I'm not looking for some excerpt from a textbook.

bugfartboy

Remember anything from our conversations Duskie-Poo?

Duskling

Well... one thing I know for sure about Christianity is God supposedly created everything in the universe, even the universe itself, then had a son named Jesus, who then died for our sins. Much more than that is pretty much a mystery to me, I might know more, I just can't remember, so, I might pop in during these conversations offering what knowledge I know, but it's probably just common knowledge.

bugfartboy

Did you know he didn't stay dead? Put into a hole in the ground and the hole was covered by a giant rock. Three days later, three ladies go up to his grave to annoint his corpse with oils and perfumes and see something. The rock was rolled away. They go in, no ones there. Only the strips of cloth he was wrapped in. They run into town to find his disciples and they go up and look. He's not there. Only the strips of cloth. Then, Mary Magdalene was cryin in the garden where Jesus had been laid and suddenly, Jesus appeared to her. Alive and well. And he hadn't just been killed. He had been beaten and tortured by other methods, forced to carry his own cross, and stripped and his clothes divided up among the guards by gambling. That's a lot for someone to go through.

Duskling

Quote from: Fyer on February 06, 2011, 03:16:31 PM
Did you know he didn't stay dead? Put into a hole in the ground and the hole was covered by a giant rock. Three days later, three ladies go up to his grave to annoint his corpse with oils and perfumes and see something. The rock was rolled away. They go in, no ones there. Only the strips of cloth he was wrapped in.
This part I knew.

Quote from: Fyer on February 06, 2011, 03:16:31 PM
And he hadn't just been killed. He had been beaten and tortured by other methods, forced to carry his own cross, and stripped and his clothes divided up among the guards by gambling.
This part, I also knew, the rest, not really.

cyso

Quote from: Duskling on February 06, 2011, 03:04:55 PM
Well... one thing I know for sure about Christianity is God supposedly created everything in the universe, even the universe itself, then had a son named Jesus, who then died for our sins. Much more than that is pretty much a mystery to me, I might know more, I just can't remember, so, I might pop in during these conversations offering what knowledge I know, but it's probably just common knowledge.

You got the gist of it. Do you know why Jesus died for our sins?

Duskling

cyso

Well, the idea goes something like this. God created all things perfect/sinless originally. However, they still sinned. God couldn't let the sin go by, just like a just judge couldn't just let a bank robber free to do whatever they wanted without enforcing the law and still be called just (assuming the person is definitely a bank robber). The law condemns us. But, God still loves his creation. So, as stated in John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believes in should not perish but have eternal life.
Jesus was sent to save us by taking our punishment, and paying our debt. It would be like Person A who owed Person B some money and couldn't pay it back. Person B lets Person A go and just takes the loss of money. Not a very good scenario, sorry. Anyways, the punishment that was originally ours was put on Jesus. This is what the Bible has to say about it in 2 Corinthians 5:21
God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
Jesus takes our sins, and we get off. God no longer sees our sins.

I think I did a terrible job explaining, sorry. I hope I don't just confuse you more.

EDIT: Wow. No one else posted before I did.

bugfartboy

I think you did okay. You left out that Jesus was not just the son of God but rather God himself.

cyso

I guess I should have mentioned that. I think (correct me if I'm wrong or just totally crazy) that the term son of God was used to describe Jesus because his earthly body was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit (God).

bugfartboy

Yep. He was the son of man and the son of God.