News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

What's your religion?

Started by Cypher, August 23, 2010, 11:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

God is above the world. That's why, in beginning, the only way man could talk to him was to be spiritually perfect. Once we botched that... Well, look back into the previous pages and you'll find it. But God is outside time and space. He's outside our existence. He had no beginning and has no end. The "Alpha and Omega"(rough quote from Revalations 22:13)

Kaseke

Kay. It's kinda sad that none of my christian friends could answer this.
If you seek it, you can find it. Freedom can be attained.

MikeW781

Quote from: Kaseke on February 13, 2011, 08:35:51 AM
Kay. It's kinda sad that none of my christian friends could answer this.
True, the majority of my Christian friends seem to have done what most of us do with the terms and conditions on iTunes, and just checked the accept box without so much as opening the document they agreed to.

Despite my difference in views to the Christian advocates in this thread, I respect the knowledge of the subject they posses. Just taking a slightly OT post to point that out.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Steelfist

Despite being an athiest, I find religion is a fascinating thing, if misguided.

Steel Ersatz Man

I am agnostic, but, I too, find religion fascinating.
We are the steel alliance. None shall take our hill!

MikeW781

Thought this was a good place to share this quote:
'Religion is about turning untested belief into unshakeable truth through the power of institutions and the passage of time.

Richard Dawkins (1941 - ), "The Root of All Evil", Channel 4 UK, 2006"

Steelfist

A very true statement.

The main problem with religion is that it offers answers that simply beg more questions, then answers with a request for 'faith'. Science may give more questions than answers, but at least it is honest and says: 'We're working on it, but right now we don't have a clue'.

cyso

I guess by that, you mean that Christianity doesn't answer every single little question that you have about it (or maybe we can't answer every question about Christianity). But, from my point a view, a large amount of the reason Christianity requires faith is that it is about an infinite God. We aren't exactly infinite, and we really don't understand infinity, so we don't always completely understand God.
If you want something along the lines of proof for Christianity, look for the effects God has had on the world, or perhaps some of the Old Testament prophesies that ended up coming true.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

bugfartboy

Here's a prediction of the next response:

Yeah but if someone says something, it's bound to happen eventually. Look at Noestradamous (think I spelled that right). He said a bunch of stuff and he was almost always right. How did that happen.

That's just a predicition.

Kaseke

Quote from: cyso on February 17, 2011, 12:06:57 AM
I guess by that, you mean that Christianity doesn't answer every single little question that you have about it (or maybe we can't answer every question about Christianity). But, from my point a view, a large amount of the reason Christianity requires faith is that it is about an infinite God. We aren't exactly infinite, and we really don't understand infinity, so we don't always completely understand God.
If you want something along the lines of proof for Christianity, look for the effects God has had on the world, or perhaps some of the Old Testament prophesies that ended up coming true.
Old Testament isn't proof for CHRISTIANITY, but actually for what the jews believe in. Christianity is based on the New Testament, which is basically about a man who did "wonders" If someone did that kind of things nowdays, you wouldn't believe it without proof, and would have people investigate such things. So basically you beleive that a man that was born approximately 2011 years ago, and did some kind of magic tricks. In the middle ages "witches" were burned for doing same kind of "wonders". What if they were touched by god too, like Moses was. Also the effects God has had on the world... Do you maybe mean crusades, or Hitler killing Jews? Millions of people were killed because of such things. Also people were able to have slaves for so long, because it was "accepted by god".

No offens to those who are Christian...
If you seek it, you can find it. Freedom can be attained.

SmartyPants

I was avoiding this topic, because frankly my religion beliefs are none of your business, but I changed my mind after some asshole in the Gay Marriage topic said religious beliefs are "stupid and ridiculous >:(."

Why are do so many atheist act like assholes?  Most people know that it wrong to push religion on people, so there have been very few instinces in my life where people have tired to convert me.  On the otherhand, I know dozens of athiest that try to force thier beliefs on people.  Instead of expressing their views in a sensible, respectable way, these athiest would rather berate people's religions and portray religous followers as imbeciles.  If you don't believe in god, then so be it, but why try to make everyone as cynical as you are?  What is so wrong about thinking a higher power will reward one's immortal soul for doing good, while punishing those who do bad?  I have never met a bad person who follows their religous beliefs properly, but I know many aithiest who mistreat thier fellow man, because they think they will end up as worm food no matter how they act. (I am not saying that all aithist are bad and all religious people are good, but I do think religion tends to make one a better person.)

Quote from: Duskling on August 23, 2010, 08:04:29 PMI would have to agree with that, seeing as how no religion has any hard evidence of their gods or demons, or of Heaven or Hell. I'm a fairly open-minded person, but until I have some proof of God, Jesus, etc., I will have to say that I don't believe in them.
What about the white light seen by people who have had near death experiences?

Quote from: Bugfartboy on October 31, 2010, 04:44:01 PMThere is no purgatory. It's heaven or hell. No middle ground.
I never understood why protestants, especially baptists, think you are either all good and go to heaven or you are a sinner and go to hell.  I perfer the Catholic belief that some sins are worst then others and that you have a chance to repent your minor sins in confession or in purgatory.

Quote from: Duskling on October 31, 2010, 05:43:03 PMI say that Hitler only believed he was a true Christian, and felt that, as such, he had a right to exterminate Jews because of their beliefs.
If you actually read about Hitler's religous views, then you will see how he warped Christainity into something that has no resemblance to actual Christain beliefs.

Quote from: MikeW781 on November 03, 2010, 06:11:51 PMThe idiocy displayed by those who believe homosexuality will send you to hell continuosly astounds me.
The Catholic Church says it is okay to be homosexual, since it is not a choice, but to engage in homosexual sex would be a sin.  Yes, the urge may be natural, but that does not mean you are suppose to give into that urge.  You are supposed to ignore sinful urges like premarital sex, homosexuality, and violence.

MikeW781

Quote from: im2smart4u on February 17, 2011, 10:58:37 AM
Why are do so many atheist act like assholes?  Most people know that it wrong to push religion on people, so there have been very few instinces in my life where people have tired to convert me.  On the otherhand, I know dozens of athiest that try to force thier beliefs on people.  Instead of expressing their views in a sensible, respectable way, these athiest would rather berate people's religions and portray religous followers as imbeciles.  If you don't believe in god, then so be it, but why try to make everyone as cynical as you are?  What is so wrong about thinking a higher power will reward one's immortal soul for doing good, while punishing those who do bad?  I have never met a bad person who follows their religous beliefs properly, but I know many aithiest who mistreat thier fellow man, because they think they will end up as worm food no matter how they act. (I am not saying that all aithist are bad and all religious people are good, but I do think religion tends to make one a better person.)
This is an incorrect generalization; the people you talk about are the obnoxious ones, and therefore the ones you know are atheists. If you knew me in real life, you would never hear of my religious beliefs, and would probably assume I am a Catholic like the majority of my community.
Therefore, the only people you know are atheists are the ones who are obnoxious enough to tell you in person their beliefs, so your generalization is based of an incorrect sample. I have no issue debating the topic with people in an online community, but to do so in public is just plain rude.

Quote from: MikeW781 on November 03, 2010, 06:11:51 PMThe idiocy displayed by those who believe homosexuality will send you to hell continuosly astounds me.
The Catholic Church says it is okay to be homosexual, since it is not a choice, but to engage in homosexual sex would be a sin.  Yes, the urge may be natural, but that does not mean you are suppose to give into that urge.  You are supposed to ignore sinful urges like premarital sex, homosexuality, and violence.
I still disagree with this; I think there is nothing immoral about two gays having sex, and I think its offensive that you put it on par with premarital sex and violence, which are immoral acts.

As a side note, the correct spellings are
atheist
religious
religion
Other spelling mistakes aren't as important, but those severely limit one's ability to convincingly convey ideas on the topic at hand, and they are far to numerous in this thread.

And finally, an issue that I am also a part of:
Quote from: CraigStern on January 24, 2011, 09:27:19 PM
Attention: I do not want to see the words "dumb" or "ass" used to describe another member on these forums. It's rude, it undermines your ability to make a persuasive argument, and it violates the rules.

I'm not going to post about this again. The next time I see flaming like this, I'm handing out individual warnings, then bans.

bugfartboy

@im2smart4u On the issue of sin, you think that partial sin should be good enough to stand in the presence of God? Sin is sin. It's His perfection and our imperfection that separates us from Him. It's the blots on our spiritual white robes.

SmartyPants

To put things in perspective, I am an agnostic from a Catholic family.  I rarely go to church, but I do read the bible on occasion.  I do keep tracks on the pope (Pope John Paul was better then the new guy).  I view the bible in more of a philosophical way, then a religious way.  To me, the old testament seems more of a set of tales met to teach moral lessons, then an actual historical account.  America was built on the beilef of religious tolerance, but a new generation of narrow-minded athiest are threatening that coexistence by attacking people's religious beliefs (and Christmas).  If someone wants to better themselves through religion, what gives me or anyone else the right to object?  Any other questions about my beliefs?

Quote from: MikeW781 on February 17, 2011, 04:01:40 PMThis is an incorrect generalization; the people you talk about are the obnoxious ones, and therefore the ones you know are atheists. If you knew me in real life, you would never hear of my religious beliefs, and would probably assume I am a Catholic like the majority of my community.
Therefore, the only people you know are atheists are the ones who are obnoxious enough to tell you in person their beliefs, so your generalization is based of an incorrect sample. I have no issue debating the topic with people in an online community, but to do so in public is just plain rude.
I never said that all atheist are obnoxious (infact I said "I am not saying that all atheist are bad") and I never said that all the atheist that I know are obnoxious (infact I am friends with both obnoxious and non-obnoxious atheist).  I am just curious to why snobbishness and arrogance are so prevalent among athiest.  How does believing that one will become worm-food after death make someone feel superior?  How would you characterize a person who would create an entire topic to ask about people's religions, so they can point out flaws in their logic?  How would you characterize a person who crudely insult someone eles' religion?

Quote from: MikeW781 on February 17, 2011, 04:01:40 PM
The Catholic Church says it is okay to be homosexual, since it is not a choice, but to engage in homosexual sex would be a sin.  Yes, the urge may be natural, but that does not mean you are suppose to give into that urge.  You are supposed to ignore sinful urges like premarital sex, homosexuality, and violence.
I still disagree with this; I think there is nothing immoral about two gays having sex, and I think its offensive that you put it on par with premarital sex and violence, which are immoral acts.
Well that is the common view amount millions of Catholics.  If you don't believe that, then I don't think Catholicism is for you. Catholics believe that sex is for the purpose of creating a family, so that would make homosexuality as sinful as premarital sex.

Quote from: Bugfartboy on February 17, 2011, 04:15:13 PM@im2smart4u On the issue of sin, you think that partial sin should be good enough to stand in the presence of God? Sin is sin. It's His perfection and our imperfection that separates us from Him. It's the blots on our spiritual white robes.
So a child that steals a candy bar should go to hell alongside the homicidal rapist, since all sins are equal and unforgivable.

MikeW781

Quote from: im2smart4u on February 17, 2011, 10:23:49 PM
Quote from: MikeW781 on February 17, 2011, 04:01:40 PMThis is an incorrect generalization; the people you talk about are the obnoxious ones, and therefore the ones you know are atheists. If you knew me in real life, you would never hear of my religious beliefs, and would probably assume I am a Catholic like the majority of my community.
I never said that all atheist are obnoxious (infact I said "I am not saying that all atheist are bad") and I never said that all the atheist that I know are obnoxious (infact I am friends with both obnoxious and non-obnoxious atheist).  I am just curious to why snobbishness and arrogance are so prevalent among athiest.  How does believing that one will become worm-food after death make someone feel superior?  How would you characterize a person who would create an entire topic to ask about people's religions, so they can point out flaws in their logic?  How would you characterize a person who crudely insult someone eles' religion?
My point was that arrogance and snobbishness are not more prevalent among atheists, as there are more than likely dozens of atheists you have met, but just never talked about religion with. Therefore, your data is missing a number of polite atheists who understand they should not discuss religion and are not at all snobbish. Being an atheist, I am not happy with that stereotype, and wish some of my fellow atheists knew to keep their mouths shut to avoid giving the rest of us a bad name.

As a clumsy analogy, it would be like if you presented the idea that homosexuals tended to be flamboyant in their sexuality, as even though you knew gays that were both flamboyant and not, you had seen many flamboyant ones. This would be untrue, as the vast majority of gays just keep relatively quite about their sexuality to avoid harassment and because they feel no need to wave their beliefs in another's face.