News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

What's your religion?

Started by Cypher, August 23, 2010, 11:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deagonx

Quote from: Kaseke on February 17, 2011, 09:59:10 AM
Quote from: cyso on February 17, 2011, 12:06:57 AM
I guess by that, you mean that Christianity doesn't answer every single little question that you have about it (or maybe we can't answer every question about Christianity). But, from my point a view, a large amount of the reason Christianity requires faith is that it is about an infinite God. We aren't exactly infinite, and we really don't understand infinity, so we don't always completely understand God.
If you want something along the lines of proof for Christianity, look for the effects God has had on the world, or perhaps some of the Old Testament prophesies that ended up coming true.
Old Testament isn't proof for CHRISTIANITY, but actually for what the jews believe in. Christianity is based on the New Testament, which is basically about a man who did "wonders" If someone did that kind of things nowdays, you wouldn't believe it without proof, and would have people investigate such things. So basically you beleive that a man that was born approximately 2011 years ago, and did some kind of magic tricks. In the middle ages "witches" were burned for doing same kind of "wonders". What if they were touched by god too, like Moses was. Also the effects God has had on the world... Do you maybe mean crusades, or Hitler killing Jews? Millions of people were killed because of such things. Also people were able to have slaves for so long, because it was "accepted by god".

No offens to those who are Christian...

Note quite. The witches were accused of being so ignorantly, because there is no mention of witchcraft in the bible and still they considered it a holy crusade. And most little things could be considered witchcraft.

Jesus actually DID things, walking on water, turning said water into wine. (No not really that was just a pun)
Miraculous things. There is a reason he was a savior, yet our paranoid nature turned most against him. He was crucified.
I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?

bugfartboy

Actually, if you'd read into it at all DeagonX, there are mentions of witchcraft. I'll look more into it but in essence, witchcraft was using unholy processes to do unholy things. One such is demon summoning that, believe it or not, is very common today. I'll get back to you on that.

MikeW781

Quote from: Deagonx on February 17, 2011, 11:07:29 PM
Note quite. The witches were accused of being so ignorantly, because there is no mention of witchcraft in the bible and still they considered it a holy crusade. And most little things could be considered witchcraft.
Exodus 22:18- "suffer not a witch to live"

I think that, as witches don't and never did exist, this is further proof AGAINST literal interpretation of the bible
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

bugfartboy

Then what do you think it meant by using the word "witch"? I'm curious.

Deagonx

Well, honestly I think the bible is very much open for interpretation. A lot like the US Constitution.

I mean, as a christian I could bend the words to fit my needs, but I won't. And those that do well... :/
I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?

cyso

Quote from: im2smart4u on February 17, 2011, 10:23:49 PM
Quote from: Bugfartboy on February 17, 2011, 04:15:13 PM@im2smart4u On the issue of sin, you think that partial sin should be good enough to stand in the presence of God? Sin is sin. It's His perfection and our imperfection that separates us from Him. It's the blots on our spiritual white robes.
So a child that steals a candy bar should go to hell alongside the homicidal rapist, since all sins are equal and unforgivable.
Stealing a candy bar wouldn't be the only thing sin the child committed. But I think I know what you mean. Why would God punish a relatively moral guy with the same punishment he gave a genocidal maniac? But, by sinning, we are basically turning our back to God, saying that we don't want to and won't do things his way, and that we want to do our own thing apart from him. We tell him basically to leave us alone and that we don't want him to tell us what to do. It doesn't really matter what our sin is; we are still turning our backs on God. So God's punishment for telling him we don't want anything to do with him is giving us what we ask for. He withdraws from us and cuts us off from him. This is hell. Eternally apart from God. Since we are creations of God, being cut off from him is eternal/everlasting death.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

CraigStern

Quote from: im2smart4u on February 17, 2011, 10:23:49 PMAmerica was built on the beilef of religious tolerance, but a new generation of narrow-minded athiest are threatening that coexistence by attacking people's religious beliefs (and Christmas).

You might find this study interesting.

SmartyPants

Quote from: CraigStern on February 18, 2011, 07:03:21 PM
Quote from: im2smart4u on February 17, 2011, 10:23:49 PMAmerica was built on the beilef of religious tolerance, but a new generation of narrow-minded athiest are threatening that coexistence by attacking people's religious beliefs (and Christmas).
You might find this study interesting.
I don't find the study surprising.

A large group of athiest have created mistrust among many Americans by crudely insulting religion, by demanding the word "god" be remove from the Pledge of Allegiance and all US currency, and by aggressively attacking Christmas.  Unfortunately, the asshole athiest (including a few who have posted in this topic) draw attention away from the quiet, respectful athiest.

ArtDrake

Man, why would you want to get rid of Christmas? That's just dumb. I'd prefer to keep Chirstmas around, and celebrate it as a celebration of light and gift-giving, not a religion I don't think I can trust.

And most of my disrespect and crude insults to religion have nothing to do with my atheism. They're just me not liking the way organized religion takes up part of the day that you could be spending doing something else, and maybe, just maybe, if, as you claim, homophobia is genetic (which I genuinely and sincerely doubt), there's an equal or greater chance that not feeling the need to be part of somthing greater or waste my time just to fit in is genetic, too. Don't hate on me for it, please.

And the past participle of "remove" is "removed". The third person singular present indicative of the verb "to draw" is "draws".

And finally, while one can have a "large group of atheists", there is no such thing as a "large group of athiest", unless you are trying to insist that atheists are uncountable, and one conglomeration of the substance "athiest" can make up a large group.

Please excuse the nit-pick.

cyso

Quote from: Duckling on February 18, 2011, 11:08:08 PM
And most of my disrespect and crude insults to religion have nothing to do with my atheism. They're just me not liking the way organized religion takes up part of the day that you could be spending doing something else, and maybe, just maybe, if, as you claim, homophobia is genetic (which I genuinely and sincerely doubt), there's an equal or greater chance that not feeling the need to be part of somthing greater or waste my time just to fit in is genetic, too. Don't hate on me for it, please.
Waste my time? I'm sure you do some of things that are a waste of time, but I don't criticize you for it. So why are you so concerned about me wasting my own time? Does it bother you that I'm not making perfect use of my time? Sure, religion takes time. But, I get done what I need to get done, and I don't waste a lot of my time doing things that a normal kid would do, partially because of my religion.
And about the fit in part, I could probably fit in better if I weren't a Christian. Where I live, there isn't any repercussion for saying that your not a Christian. You fit in just fine. And if you act like a Christian, you don't fit in just fine.

bugfartboy

Which for us is a good thing. It means that we're acting our faith right. So hate us. I could really not care. In fact, I'd actually revel in it. The day Christianity ceases to stand out among a crowd of unrepentant sinners is the day that the world begins to end.

ArtDrake

Note I said "or... just to fit in".

I do not waste my time. I spend it. And if religion prevents you from doing things normal kids do, good for you; I wouldn't know what normal kids do to waste their time.

And is it your problem I don't like organized religion? Is it my problem that organized religion exists? These are both equally valid questions, and both are equally unanswerable, so let's drop those.

May I ask in what sort of community live you?

And Bugger, why should I repent? I don't hurt people. I've done nothing in the last 60 days that strays from my moral compass, my community's ethical code, and call me a sinner if you want, but I can call you ignorant, because you don't believe my gospel truth.

Was that clear, or do I need to rephrase that. Sorry, I'm a bit tired, and if that wasn't understandable, just say which part.

cyso

Quote from: Duckling on February 18, 2011, 11:36:06 PM
I do not waste my time. I spend it. And if religion prevents you from doing things normal kids do, good for you; I wouldn't know what normal kids do to waste their time.
And Bugger, why should I repent? I don't hurt people. I've done nothing in the last 60 days that strays from my moral compass, my community's ethical code, and call me a sinner if you want, but I can call you ignorant, because you don't believe my gospel truth.
And I'm sure that you've never spent your time on something that wasn't or isn't worth it. I'm sure that you've used 100% of your time with perfect efficiency.
By saying that you aren't a sinner, you are basically saying that you don't do anything morally wrong. That you are morally perfect. Maybe you should ask your friends or your parents if that's true, and if you never do anything wrong.

ArtDrake

No. I may have done some things that go against their moral compass in the evaluation of the actions they would take in the circumstances, but I have not done anything against my moral code in the last 60 days. Not perfect.

Who's to judge whether the time spent was worth it? You? I don't waste my time. Other people (irritatingly) waste my time, but I allow them to because they convince me that they have the authority to waste my time, or that the waste of time isn't, really, or that the expenditure of time at the present will grant me gain in the future. But, yeah. I haven't really wasted my time recently. I'm sorry if this isn't the case with you.

SmartyPants

If you are 13, then your time isn't as valuable as you think it is.  Maybe you should consider going to church as a form of self reflection.  I don't really buy into the whole god thing, but I find it beneficial to take time to reflect on moral issues and ways to improve myself.  Church was a good way for me to do that.  Instead of being closed-minded, I have visted many different churches and two synagogues.