News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Affinity Related Stats

Started by bugfartboy, September 02, 2010, 10:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want affinity related stats?

Hell Yeah!!!
I love the idea, but I want to choose my stat.
Its okay.
It's okay but not nesesary.
I don't know.
I don't like the idea.
I hate the idea.
BE QUIET BUGFARTBOY!!!! YOU ARE WORTHLESS!!! THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA!!!!

bugfartboy

What if when you chose an affinity, the affinity you chose would affect some of your stats slightly. Examples:

• Heat-Psi Power Boost
  • Cold-Psi Defence Boost
  • Light-Aptitude Boost
  • Shadow-Personality Boost
Every 2nd or third time the main levels up, they could receive a point in their appropriate stat. What are your thoughts? Please vote and then post about why you voted what you did.

SmartyPants

That seems to limit the player's gameplay choices.  I rather be able to choose what element I want and what stat I want to boost.  I don't like the idea of them being tied together.

bugfartboy

Alright. I was thinking along the lines of the affinity altering the player in some way. The player taking on some of the properties of their affinity.

SmartyPants

Quote from: bugfartboy on September 02, 2010, 11:04:20 PM
Alright. I was thinking along the lines of the affinity altering the player in some way. The player taking on some of the properties of their affinity.
I rather choose how I will alter my charcter instead one way being forced upon me.

Zackirus

I agree with im2smart4u, I would like to choose what I get to advance aswell.

BE QUIET BUGFARTBOY! YOUR WORTHLESS! THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA! (Just kidding)
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

ArtDrake

The idea is: have affinity at the choosing up some stats, and every few levels, gain an extra stat that is entirely based on your chosen affinity. If you don't like having the way you play dictated -- it's not. You wouldn't have gotten that stat to begin with, so it can only help, and would never be a "rather than" sort of thing. This is a bonus that would be dependent on your choice of affinity, so you probably would have wanted this stat anyway, and if you don't, it just adds a stat where otherwise it wouldn't be. How does this "dictate" your gameplay? How does this "force" a choice on the player? It doesn't.

Personally, I see im2smart4u's argument as irrational, or most likely a misunderstanding. If this hasn't been cleared up, or you disagree, an explanation would be nice.

I say "Hell, yeah!"

Zackirus

Oh! I thought it meant.... Never mind what I said before. I like the idea. Buggy do you think you could add a button to be able to change your vote please.
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

Ertxiem

I think it's OK, but not necessary. I think that when we choose an affinity we already make a drastic choice, since we are restricting ourselves to 25% of the elemental attacks.

Typo:necessary.
Quote from: pollIt's okay but not nesesary.

Edit: corrected pool to poll. lol
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

ArtDrake

You could say that by not making a choice, you are cutting yourself off from 100% of the options.

SmartyPants

Quote from: algebra17 on September 03, 2010, 03:47:02 PM
The idea is: have affinity at the choosing up some stats, and every few levels, gain an extra stat that is entirely based on your chosen affinity. If you don't like having the way you play dictated -- it's not. You wouldn't have gotten that stat to begin with, so it can only help, and would never be a "rather than" sort of thing. This is a bonus that would be dependent on your choice of affinity, so you probably would have wanted this stat anyway, and if you don't, it just adds a stat where otherwise it wouldn't be. How does this "dictate" your gameplay? How does this "force" a choice on the player? It doesn't.
I want my stats entirely based on my choices.  I don't want to pick fire affinity and be pushed into the offensive direction.  I want to be able to pick fire affinity and then have an equal choice between offensive and defensive directions.

KZ

I agree with im2smart4u here- I'd rather not see affinity affect anything apart from what element the attacks will be. Not only that, it doesn't make much sense in any case: after all, your temperament does not indicate how strong or how smart you are- those are not properly related variables.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Ertxiem

My arguments are close to im2smart4u's. We already make a drastic choice when we choose an affinity (and if we don't choose one, the it will be worse). In my opinion, if the evolution of our stats also depends on that, the choice will be much more drastic. I chose "It's okay but not necessary." because even if it's implemented, it will not ruin the game for to me.

Furthermore someone could choose an affinity based on which stat will increase (with the ones that we can't train being the most tempting).
Ert, the Dead Cow.

MikeW781

Quote from: Ertxiem on September 03, 2010, 04:18:57 PM
I think it's OK, but not necessary. I think that when we choose an affinity we already make a drastic choice, since we are restricting ourselves to 25% of the elemental attacks.

Typo:necessary.
Quote from: poolIt's okay but not nesesary.

I assume you meant poll? Just pointing it out because you made a mistake while correcting his.

OT, I disagree with your idea. People would have an even bigger reason to chose Light, because they could train easier and have an even better fighter. Also, as Ert said, there is no correlation in the stats for specific elements.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Ertxiem

But if we want the game to be balanced, people should equally choose the 4 affinities (based on their personal preferences). Therefore, the game should have a careful balancing to prevent, in particular, that an element has a bigger advantage when playing than other.

lol I stand corrected.
Ert, the Dead Cow.

KZ

Yep, I think that the majority argue against inclusion of such an idea. And certainly given that TSoG tries to give the player a choice, adding felxibility and increasing re-playability value, methinks it's unwise to restrict players in such a way and, also, reduce the desire to replay the game with different outcomes as it cuts down on number of potential combinations.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!