News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

My Website, advice?

Started by Deagonx, February 15, 2011, 04:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deagonx

Well, to put it simply. For a school competition I did a website on the causes of the civil war. Any insight on it?

http://thecivil-war.weebly.com/
I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?

bugfartboy

Seems to be pretty cool. I may keep a copy of the link for my American History class next year. If it's still up that is. ;)

Deagonx

Probably won't be, weebly clears their NHD servers after the competition is over.

Too bad I didn't get any more comments. But I think most everyone here already hates me for my opinion on gay marriage.

MikeW781

I just saw this. Its a good website, and I found it informative.
Quote from: Deagonx on February 15, 2011, 05:16:40 PM
Too bad I didn't get any more comments. But I think most everyone here already hates me for my opinion on gay marriage.
And no; I am opposed to your opinions on the subject, but I won't let that affect the way I treat you outside that debate. It would be silly to completely dislike a person over a difference in opinion, no?  ;)
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Deagonx

Agreed. Though I'm used to being around 13 year olds that get their religious and political opinions from their parents, and anyone who doesn't agree with this is a 'retard'

No means for offense, but I just come to expect it.

MikeW781

Quote from: Deagonx on February 15, 2011, 05:25:19 PM
Agreed. Though I'm used to being around 13 year olds that get their religious and political opinions from their parents, and anyone who doesn't agree with this is a 'retard'

No means for offense, but I just come to expect it.
Yeah, I just don't tell most people I'm an atheist, it leads to pointless debates that none of them actually understand...
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Deagonx

Yeah.. and its arrogant, like those 'im a mormon' commercials

Hi, I'm greg, I'm a Mormon.

Uhm... ok? Way to be prideful about it. Its cool and all, but really keep it to yourself...

Kaseke

13 year old that get their opinion from parents... I'll be 15 in 2 months, and my parents never talk to me about politics, rasicm, or sexuality. My parents are both christian, and I'm an atheist. I have my own opinions about the world. If you want people to get a good opinion about you, don't go saying such things, even if you didn't mean any of us.

Also I cant look at the website just yet, hence being on the forums, but I'll go check it out later. If you want, Mike, if he did the page himself and if he has all the files you can open the webpage without the server, if he's willing to send all the html and css code files, or which ever code he uses(java maybe)+the pictures he may has on the site. If he doesent have them you can ask me and i might be able to help you.
If you seek it, you can find it. Freedom can be attained.

Deagonx

I was actually referring to specific people. I don't understand why you..
Whatever..

Kaseke

just saying you shouldn't insult people...
If you seek it, you can find it. Freedom can be attained.

Steelfist

Thirteen year olds are perfectly capable of rational, coherent and occasionally superior intelligence. Simply because this is not the case for the majority does not mean that thirteen year olds are incapabable of forming their own opinion.

In any case, the website is good. Couple of bad word choices or just plain bad sentences, though. For example:

QuoteAlthough there were many causes to the civil war you cannot pin-point it to one subject

This, I'm afraid, does not appear to make sense.

Duskling

Quote from: Deagonx on February 15, 2011, 05:16:40 PM
It's like what Mike said, nobody hate you for your opinion, granted, the discussion itself irritates me a bit, but it doesn't harm my opinion of you, and so far, I haven't seen much on what to base an opinion on.

Deagonx

Quote from: Steelfist on February 18, 2011, 02:44:51 PM

QuoteAlthough there were many causes to the civil war you cannot pin-point it to one subject

This, I'm afraid, does not appear to make sense.

Yeah, what I reworded that. Thanks for the contribution.
(I think I should have used the word since)

Steelfist

How I would write the first paragraph (Feel free to ignore me):

Historians have long debated the main cause of the civil war, and in early years of schooling many are taught that the main cause was due to the outlawing of slavery. This is partially correct, but there were many other causes which culminated in that horrific war. Since there are so many major (And minor) causes of the Civil War, it is impossible to generalize it into one event. This website intends to educate you on every main cause of the war, and allow you decide for yourself what the true causes were.

EDIT: The 'Kansas-Nebraska Act' paragraph was very good. I suspect you copied it  ;).

As for the Abe Lincoln part, I would have written it:

Another major cause of the civil war was Abraham Lincoln's election; many southerners had problems with this decision, due to the fact they considered him anti-slavery and biased in favor of the northern part of the United States. Even before Lincoln was even elected seven states had decided to break off from the union: South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas. Furthermore, he planned to move the entire African population to Central America, because he believed that "whites and blacks could not live together in harmony." This is one of the major reasons a lot of slaves fought for the Southern side of the Civil War.

A few small changes. I think it makes it appear more professional. I never heard that slaves fought for the Confederacy. Are you sure of your source?

Deagonx

Yes steelfist. I am sure.
I don't have a source other than my SS teacher, but if he's wrong then eh. Not my fault.

I didn't copy and paste anything there.
As a matter of fact, I love writing essays and such, my Mom tweaks out if I don't let her proof read it so when she does she's like "Did you copy this?"

Eh. I'm more professional when I'm not directly speaking to anyone. I'm kind of awkward in person.