News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Post your theological argument here.

Started by The Holy namelesskitty, September 18, 2010, 10:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

That was then. I don't want to spam other threads. Be thankful I didn't just use that in the threads that you hold most dear.

ArtDrake

It hasn't been proven, but scientist have managed to pick up trace background cosmic radiation they conjecture could only have been emitted at around the time of 13 billion years ago, at very high energy levels, suggesting that it originated in a fiery cataclysm, not unlike a certain religion's idea of the end of the world.

bugfartboy

But it is ONLY a conjecture. The official definition is:
Dictionary.com

Conjecture
-noun
1.   the formation or expression of an opinion or theory without sufficient evidence for proof.
2.   an opinion or theory so formed or expressed; guess; speculation.
3.   Obsolete . the interpretation of signs or omens.

If it is only a conjecture then aren't you trying to force YOUR beliefs on those of us who don't?

ArtDrake

Yes, but it is the best conjecture we can guess; conclude; form from the little evidence we do have. I was wrong to have called it a conjecture. This diminishes the value I place on conjectures, but should not detract from a theory. I was using the geometry definition;

"an idea based on exemplary proof, and not on deductive logic, as yet unproven." Fitting, eh?

bugfartboy

Quote from: Duckling on October 29, 2010, 05:44:54 PM
an idea based on exemplary proof, and not on deductive logic, as yet unproven.
How is that different from the definition that I had given? It remains unproven. And even if you call it a theory:
Dictionary.com
-noun
2.   a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.

Again, how is that different from Conjecture?
Quote from: Bugfartboy on October 29, 2010, 05:33:02 PM
Dictionary.com

Conjecture
-noun
1.   the formation or expression of an opinion or theory without sufficient evidence for proof.
2.   an opinion or theory so formed or expressed; guess; speculation.
3.   Obsolete . the interpretation of signs or omens.

ArtDrake

You cherry-picked a definition.

Miriam-Webster

Theory: (n.) a plausible or scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles offered to explain phenomena (the wave theory of light)

and

The analysis of facts in their relation to one another.

Fact: Electromagnetic radiation has been detected from outer space.
Fact: This radiation has levels of energy, timing, and location that are heavily correspondant with those which scientists, through theoretical calculations, have found would have originated in a sort of fiery cataclysm.
Fact: From this, we can derive that, perhaps, (it's just a theory) the universe and its corresponding spacetime originated in a fiery cataclysm.

Theory: Big Bang.

The Holy namelesskitty

NEW RULE!!!!! To avoid cherry picked "facts" and definitions, please give at least 3 definitions to abide by and give supporting and reputable testimony/statistics also repeated arguments are to be answered with a loud TAZER!!!!!
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

ArtDrake

bugfartboy

Apparently on it's authority. Tazers don't do any real harm namelesskitty. Tazere are for the forum games as a sign of disapproval. Therefore it is a bad deterrent and will be disregarded. Just to let you know.

The Holy namelesskitty

I know, I was trying to spread it, I feel ashamed.

I made the thread and I plan to referee the argument, on the grounds that being raised in multiple religions and ending up believing a little from column A, a little from column B. Please point out infractions to me, I will keep a scoreboard from now on, points will be deducted for infractions.

Rules:
1. no name calling or insults
2. Support all arguments with evidence support claims with links
3. Give 3 definitions from different sources to avoid cherry picking
4. Do not post the same argument twice unless resupporting it or showing how it headed off another.
5. To spectators remain unbiased
6. Point out infractions I have missed depending on frequency and magnitude of rule breaking I will decide punishment.
7. No threats.
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

ArtDrake

I don't think I can follow a rule preventing reiteration of a good argument.

bugfartboy

What punishment can you give namelesskitty? You aren't a mod and you definitely aren't Craig.

ArtDrake

bugfartboy

We have been over Tazing, Disownig wouldn't affect anyone and a virus would get THN banned from the forums and possible sent to juvie. And that was directed at THN Duckling.