News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Post your theological argument here.

Started by The Holy namelesskitty, September 18, 2010, 10:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Holy namelesskitty

Deduction of points would be the punishment imposed, points are awarded for won issues, and the magnitude of the victory, negative points can happen.

Issue #1: possibility of a single god. argument base value: 10 points.
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

ArtDrake

Oh, sure it's possible. What's to debate about?

The Holy namelesskitty

Agreed, switch

Topic #1: why would god show such impartiality with death via cancer? Base value 10

ArtDrake

Honestly, though it's good of you to try to arrange an arena for us, the theology thing is just what crops up places here and there. I simply have different views on religion's social implementations than he (Buggy), but arguing about an aspect of the theology is meaningless to me. I wouldn't care why a god was impartial if they existed, as I am firm in my belief that there is no such deity.

And I can't very well convince Bugs that God isn't real, 'cause there are so many catch-22s; there can be no proof for God, the devil put evidence saying the Earth isn't 5000 years old here to test our faith... the reasons atheism cannot be proven go on.

The Holy namelesskitty

You don't need to change his mind, I just give the victor points.

ArtDrake

I'm not interested in debating. The evidence is pointed so overwhelmingly in the atheistic direction, whereas all the Christians have going for them is a holy scripture.

SmartyPants

I see believing in religion or believing in atheism as being optimistic or being pessimistic.  If you have a religion, then you believe something awaits you in the afterlife which means that you think things will be okay after you die.  Atheists believe that they are going to become worm food after they die which is just a sad outlook.  Agnostics are interesting because they want to be optimistic and believe in a god and an afterlife, but they can't quite believe what the organized religions tell them.

ArtDrake

It's not a sad outlook, as far as I'm concerned. I think after a certain time, many people realize that they've gotten all they can from living, and they would like to have some peace. I wouldn't want to have eternal consciousness forced upon me.

And you're confusing terms. An agnostic is someone who believes they have insufficient evidence or knowledge to support their belief. I'm an agnostic.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling on November 28, 2010, 04:37:13 PMIt's not a sad outlook, as far as I'm concerned. I think after a certain time, many people realize that they've gotten all they can from living, and they would like to have some peace. I wouldn't want to have eternal consciousness forced upon me.
That outlook is sad.  You consider "peace" the complete annihilation and disappearance of who a person is or was.
I just received some major insight into what kind or person you are.

bugfartboy

Quote from: im2smart4u on November 28, 2010, 06:32:30 PM
Quote from: Duckling on November 28, 2010, 04:37:13 PMIt's not a sad outlook, as far as I'm concerned. I think after a certain time, many people realize that they've gotten all they can from living, and they would like to have some peace. I wouldn't want to have eternal consciousness forced upon me.
That outlook is sad.  You consider "peace" the complete annihilation and disappearance of who a person is or was.
I just received some major insight into what kind or person you are.
It kinda scares me. Life is not something we should put up with. It should be enjoyed. If "peace" by your definition, Duckling, is death, then if I and a couple million other people are right, there will be no peace for the unbelievers after death. It reminds me of this rather rude song I learned.

Rev-a-la-tion
Rev-a-la-tion
Twenty-One Eight
Twenty-One Eight
Unbelieversgoto he-ll
Unbelieversgoto he-ll
BURN BURN BURN
BURN BURN BURN

But that's not what I or any Christian should really want.

ArtDrake

Death is sad. It isn't about watching bad people burn, for the petty pleasure of it. It's not about having an eternal reward for being good according to someone else's standards. It's about death.

bugfartboy

For those of you who will, try listening to the audio recording of a testimony if a man who literally spent just under half and hour in hell.Here it is. You may choose not to believe this but I do. I'm scared. And I'm free from this fate. You just have to listen.

ArtDrake

That is total bull. This is a quote from a person who spent five long years in Candyland.

"It was very sweet. I went along the candyland road, and I say the gumdrop forest. The snowman made of candy was niiice.... but that molasses dude almost got me."

True story.

MikeW781

Quote from: Bugfartboy on November 28, 2010, 11:05:57 PM
For those of you who will, try listening to the audio recording of a testimony if a man who literally spent just under half and hour in hell.Here it is. You may choose not to believe this but I do. I'm scared. And I'm free from this fate. You just have to listen.
This man offers absolutely no proof. I don't understand how you can so thouroghly reject other religons as false due to a lack of proof, and yet accept this mans word so blindly. It is ridiculus hypocrisy; you choose to accept some testimonies and reject others, despite equal proof for all of them.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

cyso

I haven't heard the video clip, and I probably won't listen. Anything described as a burning lake of sulfur doesn't sound good.
Quote from: MikeW781 on November 29, 2010, 03:02:42 PM
I don't understand how you can so thouroghly reject other religons as false due to a lack of proof, and yet accept this mans word so blindly. It is ridiculus hypocrisy; you choose to accept some testimonies and reject others, despite equal proof for all of them.
One of the reasons I believe what I do is somewhat tied to this belief. Discuss if you want to.
Man is imperfect, and is sinful. There is no part of him that is not tainted by sin. There is nothing he can do to stop or save himself from his sins.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?