News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Post your theological argument here.

Started by The Holy namelesskitty, September 18, 2010, 10:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deagonx

I don't think you saw the main point. If those were written at the time they say they were, they date back to 150-70 BC.
Get it now?

Sorry you feel offended.
I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?

Steelfist

Quote from: Deagonx on February 27, 2011, 08:06:03 PM
The fact that he exists. :)

This statement fills me with incoherent rage. Not sure why. Nonetheless, I'll continue with the discussion.

Religions predate 150-70 BC quite significantly. You obviously can't get any point you are trying to make across. To put it simply, you have no proof of god's existence, you have no proof that your god is real over any other, and you are likening those who disagree with you to those who are blind to colour.

You're comments consistently irritate me. You offer vague arguments, then complain when nobody gets your point.

I understand that god wishes our minds to be like to a small child's. I fear you took that too literally.

Deagonx

Quote from: Steelfist on March 01, 2011, 12:40:30 PM
Quote from: Deagonx on February 27, 2011, 08:06:03 PM
The fact that he exists. :)

This statement fills me with incoherent rage. Not sure why. Nonetheless, I'll continue with the discussion.

Religions predate 150-70 BC quite significantly. You obviously can't get any point you are trying to make across. To put it simply, you have no proof of god's existence, you have no proof that your god is real over any other, and you are likening those who disagree with you to those who are blind to colour.

You're comments consistently irritate me. You offer vague arguments, then complain when nobody gets your point.

I understand that god wishes our minds to be like to a small child's. I fear you took that too literally.

Let me further explain the analogy. The idea of faith is so distant, and unrelative to your mindset. It's impossible to explain.

Proof? I have proof that you don't consider proof. Then so be it.

Was that last line a crack at my age?

Zackirus

To a person who has never heard of either story of creation, which sounds more likely:

"Everything was created by God in seven days"

"The universe expanded from a hot and dense state"

Quote from: Steelfist on March 01, 2011, 12:40:30 PM

Don't please insult the other debaters, we are trying to have a proper debate here. 
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

Deagonx

Umm.. I wouldn't know, I've heard both sides and believe the big bang makes entirely no sense.

Duskling

Quote from: Deagonx on March 01, 2011, 07:22:38 PM
Umm.. I wouldn't know, I've heard both sides and believe the big bang makes entirely no sense.
Well, I've also heard both sides and believe God makes entirely no sense.

Zackirus

Quote from: Deagonx on March 01, 2011, 07:22:38 PM

Okay then, before you can say that religion has the correct creation story, you must first understand science's creation story. First, what don't you understand about The Big Bang Theory?
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

Deagonx

Thats too bad duskling. Because God is the real one.

Zackirus

Quote from: Deagonx on March 01, 2011, 07:50:23 PM
Thats too bad duskling. Because God is the real one.

BEFORE you can say "God is the Real One" you must at least understand The Big Bang Theory so that you don't have a biased opinion.

- Lord Canada

Deagonx

You act as if a scientific theory will change my faith. Like I will suddenly have a (false) revelation about religion.
I won't, I have read a brief summary of it. And it doesn't make sense.

Just like you, have you fully read the bible? If not, how can you choose to disregard is as untrue?

Zackirus

I don't act as it will change your view on Faith, I don't want to change your view on faith. It is not fair to say: Since I don't understand something, I don't believe in it.

I have read the bible and after close consideration I believe that both of them cannot be proved until their is more evidence to support them, I am Agnostic.

- Lord Canada

Deagonx

Agnosticism is undecided theism.
Are you saying that you don't believe in the Big Bang?

Zackirus

I am saying that I believe in neither.

- Lord Canada

cyso

Since you guys have been begging for some evidence for the Bible...

The biggest evidence for the Bible would probably be the prophecies. Some of them include this one from Deuteronomy 28.
Moreover, the Lord will scatter you among all peoples, from one end of the earth to the other end of the earth; and there you shall serve other gods, wood and stone, which you or your fathers have not known.
This was written in Deuteronomy, which is as old as Moses was. The writer would have to have been incredibly lucky to correctly predict the scattering of the Jews (in the Diaspora about 1800 years later).

Another one also from Deuteronomy:
You who were as numerous as the stars in the sky will be left but few in number, because you did not obey the Lord you God.
I admit, it wouldn't be too incredibly lucky for someone to correctly predict that.

Another one, from Daniel 2:
After you (Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon) another kingdom will rise (the Persians), inferior to yours. Next, a third kingdom, one of bronze, will rule over the whole earth (the Greeks under Alexander established an empire over all of the world known to the Babylonians at the time). Finally, there will be a fourth kingdom (Roman Empire), strong as iron-for iron breaks and smashes everything-and as iron breaks things to pieces, so it will crush and break all others. Just as you saw the feet and toes were partly of baked clay and partly of iron, so this will be a divided kingdom (The Roman Empire divided into two kingdoms); yet it will have some of the strength of iron in it, even as you saw iron mixed with clay. As the toes were partly iron and partly clay, so this kingdom will be partly strong and partly brittle. And just as you saw the iron mixed with baked clay, so the people will be a mixture and will not remain united, any more than iron mixes with clay (the Roman empire doesn't exist anymore)

This next one will require a bit of explanation. It is from the book of Daniel. Daniel had seen a really confusing vision. It involved a ram with two horns. A goat with a "prominent horn" between its eyes attacks the ram, breaks its horns, and tramples it. Then, at the height of its power, the goat's large horn is broken off and in its place, four horns grow. Daniel is confused by this. Then, he receives an explanation. The two horned ram represented the kings of Medes and Persia. The goat represented Greece. The large horn of the goat was the first king (the first king over the Greek Empire, Alexander). The four horns were the four kingdoms that emerged after Alexander's death (I think they were the Kingdom of Ptolemy/Soter, the Kingdom of Cassander, the Kingdom of Lysimachus, and the Kingdom of Seleucus/Nicator, but it might be referring to the Antigonid dynasty in Macedon and central Greece, the Ptolemaic dynasty in Egypt based at Alexandria, the Seleucid dynasty in Syria and Mesopotamia based at Antioch, and the Attalid dynasty in Anatolia based at Pergamum).
Here are the verses.
He said: "I am going to tell you what will happen later in the time of wrath, because the vision concerns the appointed time of the end. The two-horned ram that you saw represents the kings of Media and Persia. The shaggy goat is the king of Greece, and the large horn between its eyes is the first king. The four horns that replaced the one that was broken off represent four kingdoms that will emerge from his nation but will not have the same power.
Alexander the Great died about 300 years after Daniel lived.

I could go on for a while. Tell me it you want more.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

Deagonx

Its undeniable, cyso has 'proof' as I did not.
Though, I found it... unworthy to debate something as real as gravity. And, like gravity, religion is something that is and always will be there, even if not fully understood and acknowledged.

Cyso, I must admit.. I am not very versed in the bible. I tried to get through it at around 11, but it was an original kind-of bible with all the... Hebrew Lingo.

I do my best :/