News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Bug Theory (the creatures; not errors)

Started by SmartyPants, February 19, 2010, 05:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmartyPants

Quote from: WeBing on April 04, 2010, 11:53:31 PM
I like the concept, but what mechanism would the bugs have to receiving others' 'brain waves'? What would prevent something from Contacting the bug before the Queen does? Does it mean all bugs are psys?
The Bug Queen and her colony would kill anyone who trespasses in the area.

Quote from: WeBing on April 04, 2010, 11:53:31 PMOr perhaps we could explain it this way: Shadow Bugs are the females and Nymphs are the males [irony cough cough but it is better explained this way]. The bugs form no lasting bonds, and Nymphs can mate with multiple Shadow Bugs (but it is still a colony). They change genders depending on how many offspring they can produce (if there are too many Shadow Bugs some Shadow Bugs will turn into Nymphs to take advantage of it), which explains the abundance of Shadow Bugs versus Nymphs.
They can't be two different genders, because a Nymph has to metamorph into something.
There could be more shadow bugs then nymphs, because the Nymph stage is shorter then the Shadow Bug stage.  It is similar to why there are more human adults then children.

WeBing

I meant, what prevents another bug from contacting the larvae?

You also can't just judge something by its name. Would you believe me if I labeled your trash as gold?

From what we've observed, there are fewer Nymphs than Shadow Bugs.

fractals mmmm

SmartyPants

Quote from: WeBing on April 05, 2010, 09:08:10 PM
The non-queen bugs don't have a mind that can use contact.

You also can't just judge something by its name. Would you believe me if I labeled your trash as gold?
So the Nymph could be a misleading name and the creature really is a shadowling pirate.  ::)

WeBing

Quote from: im2smart4u on April 05, 2010, 09:58:46 PM

Yet they can receive contacts? Perhaps they lose their psy abilities with growth, or they are repressed?

So the Nymph could be a misleading name and the creature really is a shadowling pirate.  ::)

Yes, for all we know.

However, it could easily be an ironic name, or a reference to the nymphs of Greek mythology.

fractals mmmm

SmartyPants

Quote from: WeBing on April 05, 2010, 11:27:03 PM
Yet they can receive contacts? Perhaps they lose their psy abilities with growth, or they are repressed?
The Librarian was able to receive contact without being able to use the ability herself.

Steel Ersatz Man

I think the Nymphs are larvae which are born with a heavy armour coating and less speed to protect itself, shadow bugs are adults who have shed the armour for speed and the queens are just REALLY big shadowling bugs.
We are the steel alliance. None shall take our hill!

Tinkerbell

Quote from: im2smart4u on April 06, 2010, 02:31:24 PM
Quote from: WeBing on April 05, 2010, 11:27:03 PM
The Librarian was able to receive contact without being able to use the ability herself.

Are you kidding me?

@Ersatz Man

The Nymphs as speedy as the Shadow Bugs, deal only slightly less damage, and can heal as well, upon that, they have much more HP. For what evolutionary reason would the larvae be so powerful and fight? You'd think the queen would try expend less energy by creating weak larvae to be protected by the Shadow Bugs, than create powerful, seemingly fully grown creatures.

Your idea is also very similar to im2smart4u's.

Steelfist

Nymphs couldn't be female and shadow bugs male; the species could have a much higher male birth rate, in order to create many expendable soldiers that could be supported by the few females.

SmartyPants

A Nymph has to metamorph into something, so the two gender theory doesn't work.

Quote from: Ersatz Man on April 06, 2010, 02:46:56 PM
I think the Nymphs are larvae which are born with a heavy armour coating and less speed to protect itself, shadow bugs are adults who have shed the armour for speed and the queens are just REALLY big shadowling bugs.
For the most part that seems right, but if the bug queens are really big shadow bugs, then where are all the sizes in between the normal shadow bugs and the gaint bug queens?

Zhampir

maybe they only grow to that size when they're determined to be the queen.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Zhampir on June 07, 2010, 09:57:09 AM
maybe they only grow to that size when they're determined to be the queen.
Or a specially feed larva will become a Bug Queen after its pupa stage instead of developing into a Nymph.

KZ

Haven't seen the addendum to the initial theory, but my take on it is that it does explain a lot, and draw parallels with what we can sometimes see in wild cats that get adopted as newborns. Still, they do sometimes attack their owners and can be misdirected by primitive instincts. So, sounds good to me, though I would add that, once outside the influence of a large colony, the Shadow Bugs and Nymphs can be influenced to accept a new "owner" (much more difficult at later stages of development, but not impossible e.g. bears). This last bit can tie in nicely with what LethalLaurie and I came up with for interaction of Gelves with shadow bugs.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Dorgon 5000

From one subject to another, what do you think the shadow bugs eat? How can they find food in the caves?

SmartyPants

Quote from: Dorgon 5000 on July 19, 2010, 07:22:20 AM
From one subject to another, what do you think the shadow bugs eat? How can they find food in the caves?
Do ants gather food within their mounds?  Like ants, I think the bugs leave their homes to gather food and then bring it back to the colony.  Also like ants, I think the bugs' diets are many varieties of plants and animals.

KZ

I'd also add that the diet inculdes eating larger species, be they humans or spriggats, who get trapped in the Bug Pit. I believe that that was the intention of Cerzak, when he first encountered the Main.
Then, on the old forums, there was the idea thatthe Shadowbug Queen eats folks with their armor on and whilst digesting it, deposits the metal particles on top of her exoskeleton to strengthen it, and that's where she gets her extra shield from- the older the Queen, the stronger the shield and the more surface area it occupies.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!