News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Is Noctus alive?

Started by SmartyPants, February 19, 2010, 08:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

As the Shadowling Queen, would you revive Noctus?

Definitely
Yes
Maybe
No
Hell No

SmartyPants

Would Noctus be alive in TRPG2 and TSoG?
Would the Shadowling Queen revive Noctus after the Hero killed him?

Due to Noctus's skills in fighting and his expertize at kidnapping, the Shadowling Queen would problably revive the experienced Shadowling Commander.

KZ

That's a possibility. Still, Noctus failed her by allowing David to escape. On the other hand, his attitude to the Main managed to bring the Main to attention of Gen. Tastidian and, afterwards, Nelis, and the Main was certainly a highly useful agent for the Shadowling Empire, whilst they could impose their control through the bracelet. So, for accidently revealing the Main's talent, maybe Noctus was given a second chance. After all, we do not know if he was any skilled at kidnapping, and how important David was to the Shadowlings- he could've been simply one of many Psys who were kidnapped by them, and Noctus could've been one of many Shadowlings leading others in those kidnapping missions, and it just so happened that David had excpetional ability.
Though given Noctus' mask, we probably can say with a degree of certainty that he was an experiences commander, and a pretty good fighter, from the boss-fight in TRPG1.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Frosty

The only thing Noctus failed at was David's protection. Otherwise, he had a bonemask and he got Tastiadan knowing about the Main.

I think that would be an interesting add-on to TRPGSog. Watch the voting, to see how popular the idea might be.
Yeah, I'm a snowman. Got a problem with that?

Kaseke

Of course Noctus may have been killed before they get to know about the true powers of the main. After all, David was very important to them.
If you seek it, you can find it. Freedom can be attained.

Frosty

But then afterword he could have been revived as soon as the Main's power was revealed.

torugo

if the shadowling queen had a revival station than its possible that noctus could be alive
however the shadowling queen might not have even bothered to allow him considering how easliy you took him down
mock the pheonix you will burn

Frosty

Who says you take him down easily? I didn't.

torugo

my stats were high when i first fought him so it seemed easy to me
mock the pheonix you will burn

SmartyPants

Quote from: torugo on February 22, 2010, 08:27:03 PM
if the shadowling queen had a revival station than its possible that noctus could be alive
however the shadowling queen might not have even bothered to allow him considering how easliy you took him down
The Main was powerful enough to take down the Mechanic's Base, survive an assassination attempt, escape the Bug Pit, destroy the energy golem workshop, and defeat Cerzak.  Cut Noctus some slack for losing to a very powerful psy.

KZ

There can be an extra twist to this: Noctus might've been revived by Nelis after the incident, but could've been killed, along with the other Shadowling Guardians, when the Queen's Palace was attacked by the Main.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on February 25, 2010, 10:33:02 AM
There can be an extra twist to this: Noctus might've been revived by Nelis after the incident, but could've been killed, along with the other Shadowling Guardians, when the Queen's Palace was attacked by the Main.
It has not been confirmed that Noctus is a Shadowling Guardian. CraigStern referred to Noctus on the wiki as a "Commander" instead of a Shadowling Guardian. We know Noctus is of high rank in Shadowling Empire's military due to his Bone Mask, but his lack of ridges on the inner edge of the bone mask means that he is of a different rank then the Shadowling Guardians.  Since all the Shadowling Guardians that were killed durring the Hero's last mission had ridges on their bone masks, it is unlikely that Noctus was there.

cyso

Alternatively, Noctus could have been a commander under Darkeye when his forces where destroyed by Cerzak. I guess my point is shadowlings had plenty of opportunity to get killed in the military. Even if he was revived, he could have been killed again and have not been revived again. After all, once Nelis was dead, there was no way to revive shadowlings.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

KZ

im2smart4u: you're right there, but there is also the promotion factor, for instance, as well as simple transfer within the military "departments", so to speak. We don't know whether ridgeless bone mask is of inferior rank to the ridged one, or whether it simply refers to a field commander of equal rank. Thus, Noctus could've either been promoted through deeds unknown to us or transferred to due to, say, loyalty shown, to Nelis. Thus, it's possible that Noctus was there. On the other hand, the Somnus scene has no interaction between one of the Shadow Guardians recognising the Main, so he might not have been there (then again, Tastidian, his superior, was speaking, plus the Main was the enemy, and it would've been a bit strange to speak out of rank and to the enemy).  yogc also provides a good alternative- we don't know how many Shadowlings were killed before wartime action was stopped during the time when the Palace was stormed (as Nelis was too busy defending herself) and when the Shadowlings armies stopped the fight: Noctus could've been killed-in-action during that time period, if he was revived in the first place.
This also birngs up another point not really highlighted, but sssss (I think) brought up the point about why Nelis can't simply revive Gen Drakeye if he gets killed on Lake Alto? And why fate, but not Nelis intervenes to save the Main? It was postulated that if the person is too important for the flow of history, then he/she cannot be revived just like that, not even by Nelis, as it affects too many people around the world.
For the Gen Darkeye part, my explanation can be that if Spriggats were to overrun the Shadowlings, then they would most likely capture Gen Darkeye, use deep scanning on him and prevent him from commiting suicide (is that even possible for Shadowlings?), thus extrating valuable information from Gen Darkeye. Also, why wouldn't Gen Darkeye simply kill himself (apart from the ethically dodgy part of leaving his troops) and then let Nelis revive him? Maybe she cannot revive those who voluntarily take their lives? Hence, the Main is forced to save Gen Darkeye, as there is no other plausible alternative.
Welcome to the forums!

Frosty

Quote from: KZ on February 26, 2010, 06:38:29 AM
For the Gen Darkeye part, my explanation can be that if Spriggats were to overrun the Shadowlings, then they would most likely capture Gen Darkeye, use deep scanning on him and prevent him from commiting suicide (is that even possible for Shadowlings?), thus extrating valuable information from Gen Darkeye. Also, why wouldn't Gen Darkeye simply kill himself (apart from the ethically dodgy part of leaving his troops) and then let Nelis revive him? Maybe she cannot revive those who voluntarily take their lives? Hence, the Main is forced to save Gen Darkeye, as there is no other plausible alternative.
The reason he wouldn't just kill himself is the fact that he is in a battle and he may just be still able to win, you never know what can happen. Also, this was a chance to take out Cerzak, and no shadowling would turn that down.

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on February 26, 2010, 06:38:29 AMyogc also provides a good alternative- we don't know how many Shadowlings were killed before wartime action was stopped during the time when the Palace was stormed (as Nelis was too busy defending herself) and when the Shadowlings armies stopped the fight: Noctus could've been killed-in-action during that time period, if he was revived in the first place.
There is as much evidence of him being killed in action as there is of him surviving the Shadowling Civil War.

Quote from: KZ on February 26, 2010, 06:38:29 AMThis also birngs up another point not really highlighted, but sssss (I think) brought up the point about why Nelis can't simply revive Gen Drakeye if he gets killed on Lake Alto? And why fate, but not Nelis intervenes to save the Main? It was postulated that if the person is too important for the flow of history, then he/she cannot be revived just like that, not even by Nelis, as it affects too many people around the world.
It is more likely that the Queen needs a corpse to revive anyone.  If General Darkeye was slayed by Cerzak, his body would be destroyed beyond revival and to prevent that, the Main is sent on a rescue mission. If the Main is killed, his leaderless team would likely be killed; leavy nobody left to recover the slayed bodies for revival.

Quote from: KZ on February 26, 2010, 06:38:29 AMFor the Gen Darkeye part, my explanation can be that if Spriggats were to overrun the Shadowlings, then they would most likely capture Gen Darkeye, use deep scanning on him and prevent him from commiting suicide (is that even possible for Shadowlings?), thus extrating valuable information from Gen Darkeye. Also, why wouldn't Gen Darkeye simply kill himself (apart from the ethically dodgy part of leaving his troops) and then let Nelis revive him? Maybe she cannot revive those who voluntarily take their lives? Hence, the Main is forced to save Gen Darkeye, as there is no other plausible alternative.
Since the final battle between the Shadowling Empire and the Dissidents was a diversion, it is unlike the Spriggats "were to overrun the Shadowlings".  It is more likely that the Shadowling Forces surrendered after their Queen was slain.  When the Queen died, most shadowlings lost the reason and the will to fight.  If the Dissidents wanted peace with the Shadowlings, they would not torture leaders like Darkeye.