News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Happy Holidays

Started by Duskling, December 24, 2010, 02:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

You had only stated Noël. You had not mentioned Bûche de Noël. And still, once again, if you look at the definition of Yule, two out of three of the definitions found on www.dictionary.com refer to Christmas. The only other definition refers to a pagan feast which I did not think you, being atheist and all, would celebrate.

ArtDrake

I hadn't mentioned it; Buche de Noel was only for sake of example, and you might have heard of it -- it's a very yummy dessert.

Yes, Yule is a pagan feast, pagan meaning "non-Abrahamic" to you Christians. The people celebrating it were polytheistic, but Yule has retained its status as a CULTURAL event, not a RELIGIOUS event, and thus I celebrate it. Happy Yuletide.

"Troll we now the Yuletide carols!"

'Tis a pagan song!, call'd "Deck the Halls".

SmartyPants

Quote from: im2smart4u on December 24, 2010, 11:06:43 AMno one celebrates Kwanzaa
Ironically, I met a girl who celebrates Kwanzaa.  She convinced her parents to do it, so she gets 7 more presents.

Steelfist

Well, merry christmas (Or various holiday  ;) )

ArtDrake

But the presents tend to be a bit smaller... and don't people get many presents from their parents on Chirstmas Day, as opposed to 7 one-present days? So it would work out to be close to even.

cyso

Quote from: The Holy namelesskitty on December 24, 2010, 08:40:44 PM
True, and according to most religious historians Jesus Christ was actually born in late spring. Christmas was celebrated first in the winter because it coincided with Yule.
Christmas is on the December 25 because that is when the Magi (also known as the wise men) arrived in Bethlehem to bring gifts to Jesus when he was a child.

Here is a sight I found interesting about the star of Bethlehem. Personally, I think the DVD is much better than the site, but oh well.
http://www.bethlehemstar.net/
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

ArtDrake

Do you have that info straight from a wiseman?

cyso

I got the information from the website and the corresponding DVD.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?