The Sinister Design Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Poll

What do you think of Minecraft?

Minecraft? What's Minecraft?
- 1 (5.6%)
I'm not sure.
- 1 (5.6%)
It's totally awesome!!!
- 9 (50%)
It's okay.
- 7 (38.9%)
I'm not fond of it.
- 0 (0%)
MINECRAFT IS THE ROOT OF ALL WORLD EVIL!!!!! (In other words, I don't like it. :/)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 9050 times)

bugfartboy

• White Cape
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2011, 08:22:12 AM »

... Sweet! And, while I did figure out mods, I now have to figure out what's up with my minecraft.jar file. So it's a bit of a downer. You have your own private server?

Tastidian

« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2011, 04:58:44 PM »

Yes not mine though my cousin's its shared. Also if something is wrong it could be the mods aren't updated. Or you just got to delete what is in the bin files and start minecraft again and re-install your mods.

bugfartboy

• White Cape
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »

Oh, about that, I got it working. While I was away from home I got a completely new .minecraft folder. So it's working now. I had screwed something up and not made a backup file. But it's working now.

bugfartboy

• White Cape
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2011, 11:10:27 AM »

Tastidian

« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2011, 09:37:31 PM »

What a large mod, tell me is it worth getting and what about it makes it a good mod?

bugfartboy

• White Cape
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2011, 09:56:36 PM »

Basically, it's an entire expansion of Minecraft. It's less of a mod than a brand new Minecraft portion that you have to install. When you use some mods, it doesn't feel like Minecraft. But the Aether retains the feeling of minecraft. I think it's worth getting. But it's still in 1.01. So it's buggy. As in, when I installed it, no blocks or enemies gave drops. Which is crucial for the dungeons. But I may have done something wrong.

ArtDrake

• Black Cape
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2011, 12:25:03 AM »

Wow. The Aether mod is amazing. Slightly more amazing than BetterLight.  ;D

Does anyone know how to construct a base that is completely player-proof? Such that other players on SMP cannot get in, even with water, adding blocks, destroying blocks, arrows, Ghast fireballs, and creeper explosions? Because I'm stumped.

bugfartboy

• White Cape
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2011, 07:13:20 AM »

It depends on what kind of server. Anarchy? Freebuild? Simple PvP?

Xemadus Echina

• Blue Cape
  • :D ;D :) :( :-X :-[ :'(
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2011, 04:12:15 PM »

The only way to make a base player proof(or as close to it as you can get) is by hiding it at some random spot in the middle of a dirt based ocean.  In single player I created a base I'm calling Atlantis (Not that big yet. Still have to expand it. Its 3 blocks high and i went 10 blocks out from my starting point then cleared out all blocks within a diamond shape of those 4 points.)

Anyway, what you need to do is go down around 10 or 15 blocks (make a resting point every 5 blocks or so that you can refill later.) Then make sure to always build down, never up. if you really want to you can then place ladders in your access point up to about 3-4 blocks away from the surface. these last 3-4 spots should be refilled with dirt.  The deeper the original ocean the better as it will take longer for people to find your base assuming they know where it might be, and it will be less likely that people accidentally find your base.  Now then, if you're playing some sort of PvP or whatever and you find a player's base. Do be sure to steal whatever diamond supplies you can find before giving it a through trashing. 

And finally, hiding your valuables within this base.  Since it is of course still findable, a good idea is to add a treasure room which contains a floor made of lava.  Your chest(s) should then be connected to sticky pistons which leave them 1 block away from being accessible. a path of gravel can then be created using regular pistons. Now then, the tricky part comes from the redstone wiring. A delay circuit should be created using repeaters which give you about 5 or 6 seconds of the path being up. This is the basis of your trap.  When you walk across the pressure plate needed to open the iron door to your treasure room, this same plate will activate the bridge which will be kept up for 5-6 seconds. long enough to get on the bridge but not long enough to get to the chests. (be sure to have a very long path.) Alternatively you can time how long it takes to get to the chest from opening the door and set your timer up for that time minus a second.

Hope this helps
im writing a book!
http://sinisterdesign.net/forum/index.php?topic=236.0;topicseen
heres a free verse poem I wrote for school
You never know
Just what you will find after you
Lost your favorite thing. But
The important thing is that the
Game you play will help you to get by.

ArtDrake

• Black Cape
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2011, 02:05:25 PM »

Okay, so the idea is stealth, rather than blunt impenetrability.

Buggy, I don't know if this helps, but I'm thinking of a server where players have all and only the capabilities they have in SSP.

My first idea was to make a mountain with lava falls spilling off in all directions, and arrow dispensers behind the lava falls that shoot arrows through the curtain of lava when a pressure plate is stepped on, the lava falling all the way down to bedrock, but then I realized that a base invader could theoretically open up a Nether portal, go to the Nether, and open another portal in the hopes of being teleported into your base.

The answer to that, I guess, would be to set up a mock portal in your house that was half-submerged in lava, meaning that one would have to die as soon as they stepped out.

bugfartboy

• White Cape
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2011, 04:06:50 PM »

Ducky, you do realize theres a specific formula for portals, right? They'd have to be vary far away in the overworld, do some math, and then build they're portal in the Nether in a specific place. Not to mention hope you didn't put a portal in an obsidian surrounded room full of lava to redirect inter realm invaders. So that idea, while still a bit imperfect (as there is no such thing as a truely perfect base in Minecraft), isn't a bad one. But adding stealth to the mix is good too.

ArtDrake

• Black Cape
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2011, 08:08:19 PM »

About the portals, yeah. Isn't the formula that they look for another portal within 128 blocks (16 chunks) of the corresponding position in the other realm? And that, if they can't find one, they make another one at the nearest possible location?

And about portals: seeing as when a portal is generated, obsidian is created at the location of the new portal, couldn't you use that for obsidian farming? Like attached.

bugfartboy

• White Cape
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2011, 08:30:33 PM »

Yep. That's actually one of the most common methods. It's the only way to (legitly) get theoretically infinite obsidian. You'd need a set of portals a safe enough distance that they won't interfere, go through into the nether with one, deconstruct it all, go to the other one, go back topside, and repeat. Not as simple as the cobblestone generator, but useful all the same.

Tastidian

« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2011, 09:20:26 PM »

I've found this trap to be incredibly useful for protecting treasure. First you must create a large room a treasure room. It doesn't have to be very tall but just wide you must then have a death trap below, lava, really deep pit, or cactus pit what ever. You surround the treasure with pistons and pressure plates and there you have it a death trap.

Also I haven't a clue how to make this for I didn't try when ever this was made it was my cousin who did. I never use this unless we are online so I cant tell you. Also my cousin is away in the Philippines so I cant do a thing online.

bugfartboy

• White Cape
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2011, 06:44:20 AM »

Try the Redneck Mining Server. I'll edit the IP in in a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7