News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Independence from the British Empire

Started by ArtDrake, April 09, 2011, 03:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deagonx

Maybes its cause they arent heavily taxed, they have a say in their leader... they have their own electoral board for their laws...
I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?

Deagonx

City of Chicago: 8 Million people

I guess they should get 13 Senators. Because they are 13x larger than DC.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Demon Duck on April 20, 2011, 10:41:50 PMNow, of course, this isn't quite an accurate comparison. America's treatment by the rest of Britain wasn't just becuase of inattentiveness, and the DCites aren't having regular skirmishes with the military. (don't bring a snowball to a gunfight)
I wouldn't compare a humorous license plate to numerous years of pensioning the king which resulted in less freedoms.  I don't think the people of DC have showed that they care enough to have the government actively try to change thier status.

ArtDrake

I told you that I wasn't trying to make a point with that. Did you listen?

Deagonx

Why the analogy is bad:

Well, for one DC gets to vote on their leader.
DC gets to be exempt from any state and promulgate its laws among a city council.
DC is not heavily taxed.
DC does not need representation in Congress because it is not nearly large enough of a population for it to have a purpose. It is not a state and it is exempt from being in any state because... well a lot of complications there but it being added to the union as a state won't work. I can't remember why, it involved something with the complications of it being a capital... and the constitution and all this other stuff. Nor can it be added to a state.

ArtDrake

Population of Rhode Island: 1,048,319
Population of Montana: 902,195
Population of Alaska: 626,932
Population of Wyoming: 563,626

Population of DC: 601,723, rising to nearly 1,000,000 during the week because of commuting workers.

Not nearly large enough of a population for it to have a purpose, eh? I'm sure Wyoming feels the same way.

And DC is taxed, just like the rest of the country, and the rest of the British Empire was experiencing moderate tax increases post-Seven Years' War, so the tax point is only partial.

Nobody in the British Empire got to vote on their leader, so I would appreciate it if you stopped using the choice of leader as a point in your favor; it's not. It was simply an alternate governmental system.

And finally, all states get to be exempt from any other state and make its laws, as could America. King George simply found objection to those laws in some cases, and overruled them, dissolving the Legislature if the objection was serious enough.

Deagonx

Not just population, it is also small in size.

Chicago is a city with 8 million people

I guess it should have 13 senators!

That last sentence was just dumb -.- Ofcourse states are exempt from states. they are states!
DC isn't nearly large enough to be a state

(I dont think rhode island should be a state)

Now, let me ask you something. Do you actually believe that the situation in DC is even relatively as bad as America's situation?

ArtDrake

I can say that you are just dumb, but it doesn't make it true. I was simply using your words to make the opposite point, because I figured that it might be more effective. I figured wrong.

I am finding that whenever I try to use a simple explanation of a matter, you pick at it and find the flaw that makes it the simple explanation. I commend you in that respect. However, when I elaborate, you proceed to either contradict me in an uninformed manner, which I resent, because debating with those that refuse to listen to fact is debating with a rock, or ignore my explanation completely, and bring up the same point again later as if I hadn't even addressed the point in the first place. This I find irritating.

I'm sure Rhode Island shares your opinion on acreage equating with the right to have one's views expressed in Congress by a representative.

Chicago is not a district or a state. Chicago is a city within the state of Illinois, and is represented by two senators along with the rest of Illinois. The Senate does not have population-proportionate representation; the House of Representatives does that, but your point about Chicago is, as I said, uninformed, unrelated, and incorrect.

Rhode Island recieved its right to be a state of the United States of America from Congress when the colony agreed in revolt against the rightful King.

And finally, your last question is rather silly, to say the least. DC is part of America, Deagonx! And before I answer this question, I must ask one thing: "Relative to what?"

Deagonx

I was talking about back then, and you knew that.

ArtDrake

Deagonx

Relative to the thirteen colonies situation around the 1770s.

ArtDrake

You mean, do I believe that DC is to the states as British America was to the rest of the British Empire.

Deagonx

No, do you think that the 2 situations are just as harsh?

ArtDrake

That's not a fair question. Revolt should be gagued in terms of deprivation of rights, which in turn should be determined by the rights others have that you don't.

Deagonx

DC has MORE rights. Those 600000 people alone get their own council for choosing their own laws.
Its not that simple for state.

Frankly, DC gets rights as if they were their own entity. Yet want to be part of everyone elses decisions? THAT Oh unholy bird, is whiny.