News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Osama bin Laden- Dead

Started by Duskling, May 01, 2011, 11:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

Though is the death of one man really going to do that much? He'd probably be made into a martyr.

The Holy namelesskitty

He already is which is why Pakistan is ahunning all association with his informal execution. If Pakistan claimed responsibility a revolution might be instigated among militant Muslims living in the north of Pakistan, which is where the highest prevalence of militant Mulsims live.
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

SmartyPants

Quote from: MikeW781 on May 02, 2011, 06:00:33 PMBasically sums up my feelings. I'm not about to run around yelling "USA USA USA," but I prefer him dead to alive and free. It was something that needed to be done, but its not a celebratory event
I was one of those guys chanting "USA".  This is a great victory for the USA.  There hasn't been a man this hated by America since Hitler.

Quote from: The Holy namelesskitty on May 02, 2011, 08:57:35 PMHistory is written by the victors, although he was a horrible man, consider this if you were Japanese during the bombings, what would you opinion be of Americans?
Actually, Japan did rewrite history, while American texbooks obsess over Japanese internment camps.

Quote from: Bugfartboy on May 02, 2011, 10:07:04 PMThough is the death of one man really going to do that much? He'd probably be made into a martyr.
Better a martyr, then a living charismatic figurehead.

MikeW781

Quote from: im2smart4u on May 02, 2011, 10:40:24 PM
Quote from: MikeW781 on May 02, 2011, 06:00:33 PMBasically sums up my feelings. I'm not about to run around yelling "USA USA USA," but I prefer him dead to alive and free. It was something that needed to be done, but its not a celebratory event
I was one of those guys chanting "USA".  This is a great victory for the USA.  There hasn't been a man this hated by America since Hitler.

Quote from: The Holy namelesskitty on May 02, 2011, 08:57:35 PMHistory is written by the victors, although he was a horrible man, consider this if you were Japanese during the bombings, what would you opinion be of Americans?
Actually, Japan did rewrite history, while American texbooks obsess over Japanese internment camps.
I disagree on the importance of the victory, and I personally think its a little barbaric to go around chanting USA.... it seems reminiscent of the scenes we show of Muslim terrorists chanting for the downfall of an enemy.

Also, the whole history is written by the victor thing is just a bad COD quote. Its not real anymore, we have too many records.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

ArtDrake

Hoorah. Our government murdered a guy in cold blood ("tactical execution"). Let's move on from the inglorious happening and continue to fight terrorism where we see it.

The death of a wrongdoer is not cause for celebration. It is reasonable to take joy in knowing that your country and family are safe, but taking joy in the end of a life is barbaric.

Love the sinner; hate the sin.

The Holy namelesskitty

but if the sin is murder, killing the sinner is a good idea.

what are everyone's opinions on Pakistan's involvement.
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

Idozen Cair

Well, I think the more they do, the more people suspect them.

This post would make a great poll.
I doesn't care, do I?

pruneman

I know that his acts were evil, but, I find it awkward celebrating death. I find it nicer to celebrate that his reign of terror is over, not that he's dead.
pruneman is awesome!!!!!!!!!

dancash

he was an old man... yes he was a member of a horrific organisation. but people should not treat this as a cause for celebration. nor was he a threat at his age. he was a symbol and it seems more to have been a victory for america's pride rather than against terrorism in my opinion.

Steel Ersatz Man

Now, I have mixed feelings about Osama's death.

On the one hand, by killing him, more lives will be saved in the long run, you know what they say, sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

On the other hand, he was just a very confused man who happened to have a lot of power. Also, his son was killed as well. It wasn't the sons' fault, his Dad gave him a biased viewpoint and he never heard both sides of the story. He probably thought he was protecting his hero father from the 'Evil American Capitalist Pigs.'

Yes, I am sorry that he is dead, I think they could have just tranquilized him, sent him to a maximum security prison and used him as bait for the other terrorist forces that would be loyal to him. Then, they would have quite a few terrorists behind bars and there would be no bloodshed. Plus, the terrorists would be less likely to do anything drastic because the Americans captured him, not killed him.

So, yes, that is my opinion on the matter.
We are the steel alliance. None shall take our hill!

Steelfist

We all know it means nothing, except as a symbol.

But, will that symbol damage Al-qaeda, or merely give the decentralised leadership a method of inspiring there 'troops'?

I say the latter.

As for the 'we should have captured him' route. That would have invited even greater reprisals; taking hostages to encourage his release, bombing targets if we do not release him, ect. It would have been an even greater cause for attacks than his death.

It's an unfortunate situation all round, and I honestly think this was the best course of action.

Ertxiem

I also think that capturing Osama bin Laden would raise the chance of hostages being taken and bombing targets to release him. However, I would see with better eyes a quick judgement than the execution of an unarmed person.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

Steel Ersatz Man

It seems you only read half my argument, I concede that, maybe, killing Osama was the best course of action, but what about his son and other innocents who may have been harmed during the attack? The news stated that Americans 'Tried to avoid civilian casualties,' or something to that effect, however, that doesn't mean there were none or even a small amount.
We are the steel alliance. None shall take our hill!

Deagonx

Would I be too far off to say that this could have, if anything, strengthened Al-Qaeda?

With Osama gone, there is easily a second in command to take his place.

Understandably, Osama was a terrorist figurehead. But it would be hard to become a second-in-command. It would have to be another hardcore-fanatic. Probably younger, and probably with plans for when he becomes the leader.

I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?

Steelfist

You misunderstand:

Bin-Laden was not truly a leader - the leadership has long been decentralised.

It is worrying that Obama believes - I forget exactly - that this is the greatest achievement of the USA in the 'War on Terror'.

However, is it that hard to imagine some minor leader somewhere telling his troops they must avenge Osama ? . .