News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

His Dark Materials vs. Harry Potter

Started by Visitor, May 02, 2011, 09:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visitor

The Authority is this super powerul angel being that claims to be god and Metatron is his successor. His Dark Materials is really good. It's actually a trilogy; The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spy Glass.

The Holy namelesskitty

Those are great!!!, but pop culture books.
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

Visitor

Quote from: The Holy namelesskitty on May 04, 2011, 07:48:19 PM
Just a little pretentious there, but they are good books for children and young adults. I do find that the whole anti-established religion theme gets past alot of people though, because they are such popular books and people treat them less as literature and more as Harry Potter w/ animals.

The Holy namelesskitty

Quote from: Visitor on May 06, 2011, 10:51:35 PM
Quote from: The Holy namelesskitty on May 04, 2011, 07:48:19 PM
Just a little pretentious there, but they are good books for children and young adults. I do find that the whole anti-established religion theme gets past alot of people though, because they are such popular books and people treat them less as literature and more as Harry Potter w/ animals.

is harry potter not literature?
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

Visitor

Yes, but using it sarcastically conveys what I'm trying to say better than if I were to name a random non-book. Pullman writes to teach/show you something, and makes the book entertaining so you'll be tricked into reading his message. Rowling just writes to entertain, with morals and themes that have very little depth to them.

Idozen Cair

That I have to disagree, Visitor. Even if Rowling does only write to entertain (which she does not), her books have themes and morals that actually has quite some depth into them. I'd prefer to continue my argument now, but it's off topic. Perhaps you'd show the courtsey of starting another thread?
Thank you Craig.
I doesn't care, do I?

CraigStern