News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

China and Hong Kong

Started by Idozen Cair, May 16, 2011, 08:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idozen Cair

This is a thread for you all to post any kind of questions about China and Hong Kong, and as KZ said in 'Canada (with rules)' thread, get them answered from a person who is from that nation. I will be happy to answer you all and I hope I can do so!

Note: I doubt that I'll know more about politics than you guys do though, so I may not know the answer to questions considering politics.
I doesn't care, do I?

Idozen Cair

Well since HK is a sort of independent region, our politics aren't influenced much by Mainland China, although Mainland China do pick our CE (Chief Executive), which is a big thing, and it isn't much fair, and generally goes contradicting against our own politics.

One thing worth mentioning is that after the Opium War in 1997, a declaration was signed so that we, HK, would enjoy independence (mostly) from Mainland China for 50 years. What happens after that...is anyone's guess. I certainly dread that day.
I doesn't care, do I?

SmartyPants

Quote from: Idozen Cair on June 09, 2011, 08:28:16 AM
Well since HK is a sort of independent region, our politics aren't influenced much by Mainland China, although Mainland China do pick our CE (Chief Executive), which is a big thing, and it isn't much fair, and generally goes contradicting against our own politics.
What is the Chief Executive?  Is like a prime minister or president?

Quote from: Idozen Cair on June 09, 2011, 08:28:16 AMOne thing worth mentioning is that after the Opium War in 1997, a declaration was signed so that we, HK, would enjoy independence (mostly) from Mainland China for 50 years. What happens after that...is anyone's guess. I certainly dread that day.
Anything can happen in 30-something years.

Idozen Cair

QuoteWell since HK is a sort of independent region, our politics aren't influenced much by Mainland China, although Mainland China do pick our CE (Chief Executive), which is a big thing, and it isn't much fair, and generally goes contradicting against our own politics.
What is the Chief Executive?  Is like a prime minister or president?

The CE is almost equivalent to a Mayor, in US terms.
I doesn't care, do I?

koertchen

This may be going a bit off topic, but what does China think of Taiwan? They don't realize it as a sovereign country, but they don't really say it's not either... what is their position?
I've choked on bubble gum 3 times. Yes, 3.

Idozen Cair

The Central Government recognizes Taiwan as a part of China, but they don't dare say it out loud because it would bring possible riots or protests, and would bring unwanted attention.
I doesn't care, do I?

Tastidian

Why has China lasted so much longer than any empire that has ever been known. It supposedly lasted since it began.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Dullahan on July 25, 2011, 03:34:22 AMWhy has China lasted so much longer than any empire that has ever been known. It supposedly lasted since it began.
What are you talking about?   China has had dozens of kingdoms, empires, and governments.  Which "empire" are you referring to?

ArtDrake

Exactly. China has toppled many times over internally, and they face crushing poverty and disease. If that's "lasting" as an empire, I'm not sure I would want America to last.

Idozen Cair

Well you two kind of answered the question... Well though I do have to point out that the Four Empires, namely: India, China, Egypt and Babylon (Mespotamia) are supposedly the longest surviving empires in history, except for Babylon because it's already gone.

In conclusion, no, I don't know how to answer your question, Dullahan.
I doesn't care, do I?

Idozen Cair

Depends on which system/policies from what category you're talking about.
I doesn't care, do I?

SmartyPants

Isn't the term "two systems, one country"?  Like Hong Kong, would it work for Taiwan to have their own political, legal, and economic system, while the Mainland controls foreign policy and the military?  Can the Mainland Communist Party be trusted to not use their sole control of the military and foreign policy to subjugate Taiwan or even Hong Kong?

ArtDrake