News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Telepath Tactics - opinions

Started by Ertxiem, May 29, 2011, 05:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

David Hammond is doing a hell of a job on the character portraits. :)

bugfartboy

Quote from: CraigStern on June 27, 2013, 11:41:07 AM
David Hammond is doing a hell of a job on the character portraits. :)
I'll say! All the artwork looks absolutely amazing!

Ertxiem

Yup! I'm amazed at it, the portraits really look good.

I'll only make a few tiny comments on it (sorry about it): it might be my problem, but it's not very evident which is the male and which is the female cavalier. The same happens in the swordsman. And the lizardmen's noses are more different that what I expected... but what do I know about lizardmen?
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

bugfartboy

I don't know what I think of most of the human male character portraits. The mouths just look strange to me.

wartman

I like the portraits, but I think they'd benefit from a stronger directional light-source.

It's easier to explain this in pictures then in words, so here is a rough paint-over:

Don't be afraid to stick the darkest and lightest spots next to each other either, especially with metallic objects.

Hope I didn't step on anyone's toes by posting this, I actually think the portraits are great: solid anatomy and lots of character and the lizard dudes are pure awesome. The lighting could just use a little love :D.

CraigStern

Interesting. These portraits are largely based on the Nintendo DS Fire Emblem style (see e.g.), which employs pretty minimal lighting. My general impression is that these portraits are made with the assumption that the characters are outdoors in a sunlit setting, where strong directional lighting makes a bit less sense--but I could actually see a directionally lit variation for dimly lit indoor (or underground) settings being handy. I might leave it up to the mod community to make those variations, though, since we have a pretty huge number of portraits to get through.

wartman

Quote from: CraigStern on June 30, 2013, 04:15:34 PM
Interesting. These portraits are largely based on the Nintendo DS Fire Emblem style (see e.g.), which employs pretty minimal lighting. My general impression is that these portraits are made with the assumption that the characters are outdoors in a sunlit setting, where strong directional lighting makes a bit less sense--but I could actually see a directionally lit variation for dimly lit indoor (or underground) settings being handy. I might leave it up to the mod community to make those variations, though, since we have a pretty huge number of portraits to get through.

Hm. Yeah, I think I see where you're going with this. I should probably hold off on critiquing till I see this stuff in-game -- context is everything, and what makes sense for a single image won't necessarily work when it has to work in a dozen different places. I'll trust your artist knows his stuff.

SmartyPants

I wish there was a preview for the Map Editor so one can quickly and easily view and edit missions.

Ertxiem

Craig: Can the "weapon degradation" be used to do something like giving the bowman 10 flaming arrows?  So, the bowman would have that extra attack until the 10th flaming arrow was shot.
Ert, the Dead Cow.

CraigStern

Quote from: Ertxiem on July 04, 2013, 05:50:11 AM
Craig: Can the "weapon degradation" be used to do something like giving the bowman 10 flaming arrows?  So, the bowman would have that extra attack until the 10th flaming arrow was shot.

Yup! Just make a new weapon (a "Flame Bow," say) that is consumedAfter 10, useableWith Weapon Hand, and has grantsAtk set to--say--Bow/Flaming Arrow.

Ertxiem

Cool! Thanks.
And the scripts seem to be a nice feature too.
Ert, the Dead Cow.

bugfartboy

I'm loving that TT is slowly becoming more and more programmable... Now we just need the ability to trigger scripts with specific attacks.

bugfartboy

Do you plan on adding a dialogue trigger that allows a script to be run every turn?

CraigStern

Scripts can be run an infinite number of times.

If you're asking about making it so individual conversations can be triggered more than once per scene, that's something I'm planning to support soon.

bugfartboy

Something I noticed while playing around in what of the "Frozen Hearts" campaign that there is: In exploration mode, you can attack, but attacking again with the same character is impossible without the turn ending and beginning again. Which is impossible.