News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Telepath Tactics - opinions

Started by Ertxiem, May 29, 2011, 05:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

Quote from: CraigStern on July 25, 2013, 04:24:32 PM
You spelled Pyro Hail "Pryo Hail," and used "Hero" without any spaces on that action (on all the the others, you used spaces afterwards). After fixing these typos, it works fine.

That said, I've made a small change to the game so it won't crash like that the next time someone does this; it'll just fail to teach the character the attack.
So it would seem that late-night typing is not for me. I should have just checked it all thoroughly first.

SmartyPants

Is there a way that I can play Telepath Tactics without the game being in fullscreen?

CraigStern

bugfartboy

I love the dialog editor, but it's tendency to put every new branch underneath the first branch is a little irritating. It makes it hard to start a new dialog with a different trigger, without having to manually change the trigger every time.

bugfartboy

Quote from: bugfartboy on July 24, 2013, 07:14:44 PMOn a side note, is there currently any way to run dialog at the end of a battle, with a way to determine if the player won/lost?
Never mind! I figured it out!

CraigStern

Quote from: bugfartboy on July 27, 2013, 01:26:06 AM
I love the dialog editor, but it's tendency to put every new branch underneath the first branch is a little irritating. It makes it hard to start a new dialog with a different trigger, without having to manually change the trigger every time.

Right-click a branch in the conversation you want to add to and select duplicate. ;)

Ertxiem

Quote from: CraigStern on August 05, 2013, 05:16:13 PM
I've begin some preliminary work on random battlefield generation!
[...]
Right now, the plan is to create an algorithm that intelligently cobbles together dungeons out of 5 x 5 prefabricated chunks. (Below is a picture of one such chunk.) I haven't 100% decided on all of the details yet, but I imagine that hallways will mostly be 3 x 5 in size, some with destructible objects to form choke points. I'll post more about it tomorrow when I make more progress. :)

The tough part of random battlefield generation is making diverse maps while avoiding isolated areas. They're great to increase the replayability of the game by adding diversity to multiplayer games and campaigns.

How random will the generation be? Is it just random, or do you have something more complicated? I understand the idea of the 5*5 chunks but I fear some obstacles will still be there, namely the problem of choosing a "good" neighbouring tile.

I was thinking about it and I have a somewhat simple but not perfect approach. You can think of tiles or chunks (like the 5*5 tiles you presented).

Lets start by defining an array P(i,j,k) of n*n*4 with probabilities (or something similar). The 1st number, i, would be the index of the current tile, the 2nd number, j, the index of the neighbouring tile and the 3rd number, k, would be the position of neighbouring tile: North, East, South or West.

Starting with any position on the battlefield (random choice), we would choose the 1st tile type i randomly.
The next tile type j would be chosen in the following manner:
- Choose a random position k, restricted to the ones that are not occupied;
- Choose a neighbour j in that position, with probability P(i,j,k)/(sum over all jj of P(i,jj,k)).
Now choose one tile that has "free" neighbours and choose the next tile. Repeat until the board is filled.

A more difficult approach would be a creation of paths such that all walk-able spaces are connected (if you don't want isolated sections of the battlefield). After that, the algorithm would need to choose the appropriate tiles for the walls of the path, having in consideration the neighbours' tile types.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

CraigStern

There will be certain principles governing the way the map is generated (rooms will be connected by hallways, for instance). I've written a dungeon creation algorithm before; I just haven't used it in any game I've released. I know more or less how it's going to work, but I don't want to make any proclamations yet until I've finished implementing it and made any necessary changes.

SmartyPants

I've edited a couple sprites and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get them in the game.  I believe I put the images in the correct folders, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to use these sprites for characters.

CraigStern

Make sure these are in the Data > Characters > REST folder, and make sure you've changed the spritetype in CharClasses.xml. (Note: you'll also still need to change the WALK and Attack animations separately.)

SmartyPants

I got the dying, walking, resting, and attacking sprites in the right folders.  I just needed to designate a new sprite name.

Thanks for the help.

bugfartboy

I noticed in the new Multiplayer Map, "Tavern", item sacks tend to spawn outside the walls of the tavern. While I like how the way items are now spawned makes turtling less appealing, I think it might be interesting to be able to set a condition that prevents items from spawning in certain spaces.

JeenLeen

What is the 'Frozen Hearts' campaign?  Is it just something to test things out in, or a very in-the-works / just-the-beginning of a campaign?

CraigStern

Quote from: bugfartboy on August 09, 2013, 09:44:19 PM
I noticed in the new Multiplayer Map, "Tavern", item sacks tend to spawn outside the walls of the tavern. While I like how the way items are now spawned makes turtling less appealing, I think it might be interesting to be able to set a condition that prevents items from spawning in certain spaces.

That's a good idea; thanks for letting me know.

Quote from: JeenLeen on August 09, 2013, 11:18:11 PM
What is the 'Frozen Hearts' campaign?  Is it just something to test things out in, or a very in-the-works / just-the-beginning of a campaign?

The latter! Eventually, Frozen Hearts is going to be the official campaign; Kovit is actually the "test things out" campaign, believe it or not.