News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Obama's Birth Certificate

Started by Deagonx, July 04, 2011, 04:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deagonx

I find it rather preposterous that they use the term "African" on his birth certificate.

If he was born in the 1960s, they wouldn't have used such a politically correct term.
I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?

SmartyPants

Who cares?  His dad is from Africa, so he is African.  His birth certificate is from Hawaii, so it doesn't need to say "American", because everyone knows Hawaii is part of the United States.  My Texas birth certificate only says "white" instead "White American" or "European American", and it isn't a big deal.  Being "politically correct" is stupid most of time.

Deagonx

Well, you seem to have gathered something entirely different than what I was aiming for.

In the 1960s, they did not look too kindly upon african americans. If you look at another such birth certificate, it probably would have used "Negro" or at the very most "black"

ArtDrake

Yes, but it's Hawaii. How much do you know about the white-black relations in Hawaii at the time? I think they were too busy becoming a US state to discriminate too heavily.

Deagonx

Quote from: Duckling' on July 04, 2011, 10:49:25 PM
Yes, but it's Hawaii. How much do you know about the white-black relations in Hawaii at the time? I think they were too busy becoming a US state to discriminate too heavily.

I'd bet money that if we were to compare another birth certificate of an african american male at the time. They wouldnt look remotely similar.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Game Crazy Kid on July 04, 2011, 08:31:39 PMIn the 1960s, they did not look too kindly upon african americans. If you look at another such birth certificate, it probably would have used "Negro" or at the very most "black"
Again, who cares?  How offensive could "Negro" be if African Americans run organisations such as the "United Negro College Fund"?  Even Martin Luther King Jr self-identified himself as a "Negro" in his I Have A Dream speech.  Plus, isn't "Negro" just spanish for "black"?  Is calling someone "black" any more derogatory then calling someone "white"?  Frankly, I find "African American" too long to write.  My theory to why documents say "White" instead of "White American" is no one wanted to write the extra word and they weren't worried about offending anyone.

2010 United States Census now uses the grouping "Black, African-American or Negro".

ArtDrake

Thank you for not being a Trumpian Birther, 'Pants.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling' on July 05, 2011, 10:54:14 PMThank you for not being a Trumpian Birther, 'Pants.
I love the birthers conspiracies.  They are so stupid that they are funny.

Clearly, Obama is a secret muslim born in Kenya and trained by Al Qaeda in Indonesia.  He then pays off people to say they seen his birth certificate, so he can become president and turn the US into a communist utopia.  ::)

Deagonx

Quote from: SmartyPants on July 05, 2011, 11:17:20 AM
Quote from: Game Crazy Kid on July 04, 2011, 08:31:39 PMIn the 1960s, they did not look too kindly upon african americans. If you look at another such birth certificate, it probably would have used "Negro" or at the very most "black"
Again, who cares?  How offensive could "Negro" be if African Americans run organisations such as the "United Negro College Fund"?  Even Martin Luther King Jr self-identified himself as a "Negro" in his I Have A Dream speech.  Plus, isn't "Negro" just spanish for "black"?  Is calling someone "black" any more derogatory then calling someone "white"?  Frankly, I find "African American" too long to write.  My theory to why documents say "White" instead of "White American" is no one wanted to write the extra word and they weren't worried about offending anyone.

2010 United States Census now uses the grouping "Black, African-American or Negro".

It seems you again have interpreted something very far off from my point.
I am saying that during the 1960s, they most likely would not have used such a politically correct term such as "African American."

When did we get to things being derogatory...?

ArtDrake

Hey, Game Crazy Kid: If you're still reading this topic, you should also read the play, "Big River," by Mark Twain. In it, Jim is often referred to as "The African," and in a derisive way. It was not, in fact, a sign of growing equality between the ethnic groups, but only another expression of their mutual animosity. "African" very well could have been typical, or possibly a choice made in terminology by the parents.

I don't think we ever did get to things being derogatory.

Deagonx

Quote from: Duckling' on July 06, 2011, 11:05:26 PM
I don't think we ever did get to things being derogatory.

"Is calling someone "black" any more derogatory then calling someone "white"?"

It was in Im2smart4u's post.

ArtDrake

Ah. It was due to his equation of gross non-PC-ness and derogatory language.