News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

The Possible Ban on Fast Foods

Started by Deagonx, July 25, 2011, 12:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArtDrake

Well, it's certainly going to make people think twice about buying whole milk....

SmartyPants

Will you still want to replace transfat with unsaturated fat in fast food, if it leads to greater amounts of calcium deficiency and an increase in the price of fast food, pizza, mexican food, italian food, german food, and any other food that uses transfat, dairy, cheese, butter, non-lean meat, and est.?

ArtDrake

The price of dairy wouldn't go up.

What is "est"?

And yes, I will/would when/if this scenario you describe takes place.

Deagonx

Quote from: Duckling on October 18, 2011, 06:52:43 PM
The price of dairy wouldn't go up.

What is "est"?

And yes, I will/would when/if this scenario you describe takes place.

1. How do you figure? Dairy has transfats. Nearly all foods do.

est - ect. It was a typo.
I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?

ArtDrake

1. I'm sorry, but that's simply not true. Dairy contains saturated animal fats, not trans fats.

Deagonx, what is "ect."? Is it similar to "etc.," the abbreviation for et cetera?

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling on October 18, 2011, 06:52:43 PMThe price of dairy wouldn't go up.
Dairy has alot of fat, so dairy would be subject to a fat tax.  When you tax somthing, the price increases.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a fat tax would increase the price of dairy.

ArtDrake

I'm sorry. I though you were talking about this idea:

Quote from: SmartyPants on October 18, 2011, 05:44:26 PM
Will you still want to replace transfat with unsaturated fat in fast food ... ?

SmartyPants

Maybe I need to make my wording more simple to understand.  Are you okay with banning transfat in fast food if the end result is a fat tax that makes meat and dairy foods more expensive?

ArtDrake

Oh.... you're making the rather interesting assumption that one necessarily leads to the other.

You see, I hadn't even considered the idea that you would be connecting the two as a way to further your argument; you hadn't explicitly stated your assumption of the implication of a fat tax, and I, poor fool that I am, was left to believe that you were suggesting that all dairy products had trans fats in them, as Deagonx suggested.

My answer is yes, as the ends justify the means in that case. However, I don't eat meat, as my signature stated at one point, so I wouldn't be a good person on whom to base an accurate depiction of the reception of this "fat tax" idea of yours were it to be instated in the States.

SmartyPants

The fat tax won't improve people's health.  It will make healthy foods like dairy products and meat more expensive.  This means that people will consume less calcium and protein.  Because healthier alternatives are more expensive due to the fat tax, people will eat more cheap foods that use high-fructose corn syrup.

ArtDrake

Oh.... this was a misunderstanding. I like Denmark because they do ridiculous stuff like that, and not because I think it's effective. The thing about whole milk was a joke. I'm sorry if I mislead you into thinking that I actually thought that a tax on fat was a good idea.