News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

What is a Democrat/Republican

Started by Deagonx, July 29, 2011, 07:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deagonx

Quote from: SmartyPants on September 15, 2011, 07:33:29 PM
That is an example of why young people tend to be liberal.  When people get older, they tend to get more independent and make more money.  When people are young, they don't have any money for the govenment to take and they are dependent on thier parents, so young people are strongly for government programs.  Winston Churchill once said, "If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain."

I actually remember when you first said this. The bit about young people being liberal. Very well spoken I must say.

Off Topic: I have a student in my grade whos name is William Churchill.
I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?

ArtDrake

I'm sorry, but your Winston Churchill quote, although commonly attributed to him, is a misquotation. François Guizot, a French historian and statesman (of whom you most likely have not heard), originally said, in the mid-nineteenth century:

"N'être pas républicain à vingt ans est preuve d'un manque de cœur; l'être après trente ans est preuve d'un manque de tête," which translates roughly to:

"Not to be a republican at 20 is proof of want of heart; to be one at 30 is proof of want of head," republicans being the liberals of the time.

And he did not ever take the quote and modify it, or use it in a witty way such that the quote is attributed to him.

SmartyPants

Winston Churchill has used and modified other people's quotes many times.  He is usully given credit for them because of the witty ways he uses those quotes.

Does anyone have anything relevant on the difference between Democrats and Republicans?

Deagonx

Quote from: SmartyPants on September 20, 2011, 07:05:41 PM
Does anyone have anything relevant on the difference between Democrats and Republicans?

So far its just been mostly people pointing out the immoral beliefs of the other party.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Deagonx on September 22, 2011, 09:19:49 PMSo far its just been mostly people pointing out the immoral beliefs of the other party.
Immoral beliefs?  I see differences in opinion, but I dont see either side having "immoral beliefs".

Deagonx

Quote from: SmartyPants on September 22, 2011, 11:09:56 PM
Quote from: Deagonx on September 22, 2011, 09:19:49 PMSo far its just been mostly people pointing out the immoral beliefs of the other party.
Immoral beliefs?  I see differences in opinion, but both I see either side having "immoral beliefs".

I don't understand what you are trying to convey.

ArtDrake

He means that even though he thinks that the people that don't share his opinions aren't right, it doesn't mean that they're depraved.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling on September 25, 2011, 04:25:31 PMHe means that even though he thinks that the people that don't share his opinions aren't right, it doesn't mean that they're depraved.
Duckling said it well.  Democrats and Republicans are all Americans, so I think we can all agree to respect someone else's views.