News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

How to get rid of extra Soul Charges?

Started by KZ, July 24, 2010, 09:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArtDrake

We'll see. They could have made it into more of a gladiator arena.

I don't fully understand how you can kill something, and use its energy to revive other stuff, and yet some creatures end up having even more Psy energy as ghosts...

but you don't see me pointing out the flaws, yogc.

These are just possibilities, and if you have better ones, please speak up. These don't even have to be implemented. It's just that if some people DO want to use up their Soul Charges, and don't want the guilt of killing their teammates (like moi), this is trying to be as complete list as possible of all possibilities that anyone might reasonably consider as uses for the Soul energy.

ArtDrake

Oh! I've a new idea for the use of Soul Charges!

Exchange some number (10, 13, 15, 17, 20?) of Soul Charges for an extra level in a combat skill; those that have met their end have knowledge that can aid you in battle.

Y'know, this is sounding really lame, now that I put it in writing. Never mind.

MikeW781

Quote from: Duckling' on July 01, 2011, 01:01:55 PM
Oh! I've a new idea for the use of Soul Charges!

Exchange some number (10, 13, 15, 17, 20?) of Soul Charges for an extra level in a combat skill; those that have met their end have knowledge that can aid you in battle.

Y'know, this is sounding really lame, now that I put it in writing. Never mind.
I kinda like it. It would have to be a lot though, but yeah. Good idea.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

ArtDrake

However, this may conflict with Craig's plans concerning the way abilities are unlocked. You could, theoretically, unlock Vengeance without ever using Feedback! Problem.

SmartyPants

One of issues of allowing people to get rid of excess soul charges is that players might not have any when a teammate dies.

I don't see the big deal of having extra soul charges.  I usually forget there are soul charges untill I talk to Luca.

bugfartboy

Quote from: im2smart4u on July 02, 2011, 04:39:39 PM
I don't see the big deal of having extra soul charges.  I usually forget there are soul charges untill I talk to Luca.
When I play the demo, it's ditto for me.

ArtDrake

im2smart4u, your first point could apply to money: why should we let people spend it on things they want, when they could end up having none for buying things they need?

The idea of Soul Charges piling up throughout the game just irritates me; however, I could be the only one that has this obsessive compulsion.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling' on July 02, 2011, 10:47:12 PMim2smart4u, your first point could apply to money: why should we let people spend it on things they want, when they could end up having none for buying things they need?
I see how you are trying to appeal to my libertarian side, but the game world is different then the real world.  Reviving is a game mechanic that allows the player to bring back a character after making a mistake in battle.  In TRPG2, one spends all the gold they can on training.  If half the party dies, then there isn't enough gold to revive them.  I belive Craig decided to use Soul Charges instead of gold to revive teammates, so they can focus all their gold on training.  If we try to turn Soul Charges into a type of currency, then it will beat the point of what Craig was trying to do.

ArtDrake

Ah, no. I wasn't trying to appeal to your libertarian side. Your libertarian side hadn't even shown up on my radar; it was just a convenient analogy.

But I see your point. That brings me to a second idea. You are familiar with the way in which Ali the Incorrigible refuses to gamble if you have less than a certain amount of money? The same concept could apply to Soul Charges. Luca raises a safety concern if you try to "spend" Soul Charges on attack levels when the transaction would leave you with less than a certain amount of Charges, about 5 or 10.

That resolves the concern you raise, hmm?

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling' on July 03, 2011, 12:30:31 AMBut I see your point. That brings me to a second idea. You are familiar with the way in which Ali the Incorrigible refuses to gamble if you have less than a certain amount of money? The same concept could apply to Soul Charges. Luca raises a safety concern if you try to "spend" Soul Charges on attack levels when the transaction would leave you with less than a certain amount of Charges, about 5 or 10.

That resolves the concern you raise, hmm?
Sounds good to me.