News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Don't ask, don't tell

Started by SmartyPants, September 21, 2011, 11:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the repealing of "don't ask, don't tell" a good thing or bad thing?

Good thing
Bad thing

SmartyPants

Do you think there will be good or bad consequences for repealing "don't ask, don't tell"?

Deagonx

What is "Don't Ask, Don't Tell?"
I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?

SmartyPants

Look it up for indebt, accurate details.

Basically, it was a military policy where military recruiters wouldn't ask you about your sexual orientation, while you were expected to keep your sexual orientation private.  If someone in the military was to admit they were homosexual, then that person would be kicked out of the military. 

Deagonx

Quote from: SmartyPants on September 23, 2011, 09:56:44 PM
Look it up for indebt, accurate details.

Basically, it was a military policy where military recruiters wouldn't ask you about your sexual orientation, while you were expected to keep your sexual orientation private.  If someone in the military was to admit they were homosexual, then that person would be kicked out of the military. 

Under this policy, what would happen if equivalent someone "admitted" to being straight?

Duskling

I would say that asking for your sexual orientation is pretty unnecessary, as long as you want to serve your country. As long as the previous statement is true, then I don't really see the point of asking a recruit if they're homosexual or not.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Deagonx on September 23, 2011, 11:08:14 PMUnder this policy, what would happen if equivalent someone "admitted" to being straight?
Nothing.  There is a double standard.

Quote from: Duskling on September 23, 2011, 11:09:30 PMI would say that asking for your sexual orientation is pretty unnecessary, as long as you want to serve your country. As long as the previous statement is true, then I don't really see the point of asking a recruit if they're homosexual or not.
I prefer "don't ask, don't care".  In America, homosexuals are often treated as being on the fridge of society.  The military is much more conservative then other organizations in America, so the ostracizing of homosexuals would be greater in the military.  Soldiers need to rely on their fellow soldiers, so distrusting or alienating a brother-in-arms is dangerous.  Not wanting to exclude gays from service, recruiters "don't ask".  To prevent prejudice and discomfort, homosexuals are asked to "don't tell".  I understand this reasoning, but military men will get over it.  The military was against integrating at first, but they got over it.  The military was against letting women join at first, but they got over it.  I personally think it is a bad idea to shift major policy during war, but I understand not being patient enough to wait another ten years for us to leave Afghanistan.

Deagonx

Well, although I don't like it I assume it has it's purposes. I mean I would feel a little uncomfortable sleeping around someone who could potentially be attracted to me. I assume a women soldier would feel the same way about sleeping around men.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Deagonx on September 24, 2011, 11:07:40 AMWell, although I don't like it I assume it has it's purposes. I mean I would feel a little uncomfortable sleeping around someone who could potentially be attracted to me. I assume a women soldier would feel the same way about sleeping around men.
I will probably get the same discomfort, but I know it is illogical like the fear of the dark.  Plus, the same gay men would still be sleeping in the same room, but now they are allowed to be open about it.

ArtDrake

The only thing that makes this different is that it can be hidden. I don't think anyone has this awkward conversation:

"Mom? Dad? I have to tell you something."
"What is it, dear?"
"I think I'm black."
"Are you sure, son? It could be just a phase that you're going through."
"No, I know that it's not a phase. Are you disappointed in me?"
"No, son -- never. It's just... your mom and I had always thought..."

And so on.

SmartyPants

I don't know if it true, but I hear that soldiers are so close to each other that they already know who is gay without anyone "asking" or "telling".  When soldiers spend months with one another, it not difficult to learn who lacked any type of intimate relationship with women.  It reminds me of the time when flamboyant kid at my school came out.  Some people were suprised, but most people pretended to be surprised or laughed because it is so obvious to everyone.