News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Comments on equipment limits

Started by Kletian999, May 14, 2015, 03:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kletian999

Now the great thing about this game is I can change the below if I really don't like it; but I thought I'd bring up a discussion anyway:

Bandits- Axe wielding Heavy Melee, cannot wear Helmets or Chain Mail, just Leather Armor.
Crossbowers- can wear helmets and leather armor- more than Bowman (buy design) who can wear Leather armor but no helmet.
Psychic mages- can wear leather armor, no helmets
Assassins and Engineers- cannot wear any armor.

Let's just say I'm surprised Bandits and Assassins don't get more defense being so in the thick of things, and am surprised Engineers are sitting ducks defense wise compared to "everyone".  You'd think they'd at least wear some Kevler-like vests versus arrows. 

Thaecrasis

To be honest, I've had my engineer in maybe 4 or 5 battles now, and I don't think she's even been hit once, and yet was always a crucial part of the game. My plan with Teresa Dayo, is always to either plant a charge on one bridge (then back off 1 or 2 tiles) and immediately shoot it with an explosive bolt, or to use the 3x1 barrier ability to cordon off sections of the map to allow me to have strategic advantage, while she simply stays back after barriers are in place. The only time an engineer should even think about being near an enemy is if you are in total control of the battle and have no fear of them getting hit.

While assassins do have to get into the thick of battle, they can use Awareness to negate backstabs, and with their superior mobility, they can get into many situations where they have the upper hand. I tend not to use Tremolo very often though, since I rather try to stick with a more defensive formation in my strategies, rather than rushing forward.

Kletian999

Teresa seems to be a magnet for ranged attacks from the AI in my experience so far.  Thankfully it's never been lethal.

Thaecrasis

Well if you find that's the case usually, then you'll know how to beat the AI more efficiently:

Using knowledge of what the AI is likely to do is an extremely important part of strategic planning, so here for example, if their ranged units are trying to target your engineer, have them 3 spaces behind Sabrina, and have her place a snare/iron jaw trap in front of her. Targets the AI like to hit will do anything to try and hit them. I use this example in positioning with Louise and have archers ending up stunned right in front of Sabrina, letting me finish them off without any trouble.

It's things like this that make the game really interesting compared to other tactical RPGs: There's no luck involved, so you have to learn about the AI to do better

bugfartboy

Quote from: Thaecrasis on May 15, 2015, 05:05:35 PM
It's things like this that make the game really interesting compared to other tactical RPGs: There's no luck involved, so you have to learn about the AI to do better
It's almost as if you were actually strategizing for battle! :D