News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Modder's Q&A thread

Started by Kletian999, May 19, 2015, 08:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

Which battle never actually loads?  The map it's supposed to load afterwards?  The only thing I can think of, from personal experience, is an improperly formatted xml file.  It could be anything related to the campaign. 

The first place I'd look is the map you're trying to load.  The fasted way to see if the map itself is broken is to attempt to open it with the Map Editor.  If it opens correctly, then you should be okay.  If not, open it up in your text editor of choice (I use Notepad++) and look it over carefully.  Do you have any unclosed or broken tags?
Correct Examples:

<Dialog branch="0" r="1">
        OnTurn/0/bugfartboy/This is a dialog tag!
        <Reply>.../EndTurn/</Reply>
    </Dialog>

<Script>My Cool Script
        <Action>AddObjective/Find the bugs!</Action>
    </Script>

Incorrect Examples:

<Dialog branch="0" r=1">
        OnTurn/0/bugfartboy/This is a dialog tag!
        <Reply>.../EndTurn/
    </Dialog>

<Script>My Cool Script
        <Action>AddObjective/Find the bugs!</Actio
    <Script>

If the map is fine, the next logical place to look is any file you may have changed recently.  This includes:

• AOEPAtterns.xml
  • Attacks.xml
  • CharClasses.xml
  • CharNames.xml
  • ItemClasses.xml
  • ObjClasses.xml
  • PersistentDialog.xml

Again, open it up in your text editor of choice and look it over carefully.  Do you have any unclosed or broken tags?  If so, fix them!  If not, I don't know what to tell you.

SollunarEclipse

Yes the one right after. It's supposed to load the battle in the introduction.xml next battle=''Next Battle". I checked the coding like you suggested for misplaced tags, but it seems all right. I only edited the charclasses, introduction, and my map level, so I didn't mess around much. And I am still on the beginning steps, so even for those,  I mostly copy and pasted what was originally in there as examples (for charclasses).

Although, I do have blank templates in charclasses. Basically, for allies and enemies I have the basic template (all the coding that is similiar like asking for sprite, gender, name, stats, lvl up stats, etc), but most everything within the "" (again when asking for sprite, gender, stats, etc) is blank. This wouldn't mess it up, would it? (I don't actually use those templates in any map. Only in the creation of new characters.)

1st Image-Template I was talking about above
2nd Image- Loading Screen I get stuck on. One time the words Loading... didn't even appear on the bottom, if that makes a difference.

bugfartboy

That would definitely mess it up. You need to either comment your blank entries out (by putting them between <!-- and -->) or delete them entirely. I recommend commenting them out so you still have them available to you.