News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Gliding Archer

Started by KZ, March 16, 2010, 06:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What attack should the Gliding Archer have?

Piercing Crossbow (range 2-3)
Crossbow (range 2)

KZ

To finally allow the issue to rest and let the idea be formulated, kindly post your votes and quick reasoning here for which of the two options you'd rather see:  a glider with a piercing crossbow hitting range 2-3, or a simple crossbow hitting range 2 only.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Ertxiem

A piercing may be too powerful (putting aside the physical restrictions).
Furthermore, the flight ability gives an edge to the gliding archer. The damage can be increased if you feel he's not strong enough. An explanation would be the gravitational advantage gained due to striking from above.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

Zackirus

Here is the Revised addition to the Gliding Archer. I hope it says this way :P

Gliding Archer

Health: 28
Speed: 3 (flying)
PsP: 0
Attacks: Crosbow (Range 2, Cost 0, Attack 16) Crosbow 2 (Range 3, Cost 0, Attack 16)
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

KZ

I don't think in this instance Crossbow 2 is applicable: I very much doubt that the operator of the glider will have time to adjust the crossbow range!

Hence, this seems more likely:
Attack: Crosbow (Range 2, Attack 14)
Resistance: Light
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on March 17, 2010, 10:12:04 AM
I approve of this one for the many reasons that I am tired of listing.

Zackirus

Quote from: KZ on March 17, 2010, 10:12:04 AM
Hence, this seems more likely:

If you aregoing to remove one of the attacks can yo power up the frst one to 16
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

KZ

Well, the question is, if the Marksman is using the same standard issue Crossbow, why should it deal more damage then exactly the same one yielded by an on-foot Marksman?
Welcome to the forums!

Zhampir

Because the glider is moving, and the arrow's speed is reinforced by the force of gravity (-9.81 meters per second squared.)

KZ

That is assuming the archer is shooting directly from above, otherwise, given that there is a 2 tile range (guesstimate that to be around 3-4 meters), assuming the glider doesn't fly very high, then a lot of this acceleration will go down in the useless y component (perpendicular to ground), and very little into the x component (parallel to ground), which means little extra stength will be given to the arrow. But fair enough, let the extra 2 damage stand because of this factor.
Revised version:

Attack: Crosbow (Range 2, Attack 16)

How about now, folks?
Welcome to the forums!

Zackirus

I agree with these stats

- Lord Canada

SmartyPants

I don't care if the attack is 14 or 16, but I don't think the short distance off the ground would create a great enough force to cause any difference.  With a speed of 3, I don't think the glider is moving faster then if the crossbowman is running, so glider speed wouldn't increase the attack power.

KZ

I don't think glider speed was the cause that was used to ascribe the extra damage to, it was gravity accelerating the fired arrow downwards that should give it extra momentum and, therefore, more damage. I'd like to hear a few more opinions and then I'll change the stats in the formulated idea thread.
Welcome to the forums!

Zhampir

Is it possible to have a 1pt increase? the boulders he's flying over is likely only about 5.5meters, meaning the arrow is likely launching at about 7meters high. I'm guessing each block is a meter squared... so in the time of one turn the x component is 2 meters, the y component is about 4 or 5 meters and the acceleration due to gravity is 9.80 meters per second squared. Thus not giving much increase in speed, but a slight increase.

And sort of reviving the piercing attack, wouldn't it be possible to say that the glider used a repeating crossbow (this can help explain how he is able to hold onto a glider and shoot at the same time.)

SmartyPants

Quote from: Zhampir on March 17, 2010, 06:36:13 PM
the boulders he's flying over is likely only about 5.5meters
The boulder can't be bigger then 2.5 meters, because it is as easy to leap over a soldier or barrel as it is to leap over a boulder.

KZ

I don't really see much sense in increasing something by 1 point. 'Cause that,effectivly, is negligible. Thus, we either decide that gravity does play a significant enough role and the attack can deal 2 more damage, or decide to keep things simple, ignore all of this, and keep the attack stat at standard level of 14.

I think that more or less all active users have had their say, so if anyone wants to add in their word, please do so, as I'll be editing the formulated stats tomorrow.
Welcome to the forums!