News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New attacks for teammates

Started by KZ, February 05, 2010, 07:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypher

Zackirus

I'll Second for Diamond Shield
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

SmartyPants

Quote from: Ertxiem on August 18, 2010, 08:04:15 PM
I also think that Stasis Shield is a name too close to Static Shield. People may mix them up if they read too quickly.

About the usefulness of the Unbreakable Shield, I agree with im2smart4u's arguments. I don't see much use of it. Even if playing a mission like saving Gen. Darkeye.
When way I play TSoG, sometimes I use Set to make a bunch of Static Shields with Luca by his side to feed hum PsP. This way, the experience rises quite fast and soon I'm able to give more health than what the character starts with.
If I was saving Gen. Darkeye, I'm pretty sure a couple of Static Shields would be enough (and more long lasting than a Unbreakable Shield).
I find Set+Luca+Static Shield enough for any character that ventures near a lot of enemies. So I don't see in Unbreakable Shield enough in results to make it a really useful attack to have in an ally.
I know some of you argue with me for the sake of argueing with me, but if you realy believe that Unbreakable Shield would be useful, then you would debate with Ertxiem too.

Cypher

I never said it's useful, just that it should be called Diamond Shield.

MikeW781

Quote from: im2smart4u on August 19, 2010, 10:36:28 AM
Quote from: Ertxiem on August 18, 2010, 08:04:15 PM
I also think that Stasis Shield is a name too close to Static Shield. People may mix them up if they read too quickly.

About the usefulness of the Unbreakable Shield, I agree with im2smart4u's arguments. I don't see much use of it. Even if playing a mission like saving Gen. Darkeye.
When way I play TSoG, sometimes I use Set to make a bunch of Static Shields with Luca by his side to feed hum PsP. This way, the experience rises quite fast and soon I'm able to give more health than what the character starts with.
If I was saving Gen. Darkeye, I'm pretty sure a couple of Static Shields would be enough (and more long lasting than a Unbreakable Shield).
I find Set+Luca+Static Shield enough for any character that ventures near a lot of enemies. So I don't see in Unbreakable Shield enough in results to make it a really useful attack to have in an ally.
I know some of you argue with me for the sake of argueing with me, but if you realy believe that Unbreakable Shield would be useful, then you would debate with Ertxiem too.
Nobody has made this personal so far, and nobody is arguing with you for the sake of arguing. Let's not turn a disagreement between several forum-goers into a personal attack against you.

I think that it is usefull- there are many times Set is not strong enough to allow the Main to withstand a turn of damage. In battles like the bandit cave, and the battles leading up to that, I found that the new AI causes all foes, including the bowman, to focus on the weakest tank unit, usually Duvalier for me. He would end up taking about 50 damage, and would then have to retreat and be healed. An unbreakable shield/ diamond shield would be helpful in this scenario; I could have set cast it, and then the all of the attackers would focus on Duvalier (because he has the lowest health and is essential), who would take no damage. If I had healed Duvalier, they would attack somebody else, who might also have been weakened. This move allows me to have one character draw enemy fire, while sustaining no damage.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Cypher

On the other hand, Mike has a point. It would open up the possibility for many new strategies, ones were your tank units won't have to come back every turn after heavy damage for healing. It's not just useful against bosses, but also against battles with areas crowded with enemies (most battles).

SmartyPants

Quote from: MikeW781 on August 19, 2010, 12:04:04 PM
I think that it is usefull- there are many times Set is not strong enough to allow the Main to withstand a turn of damage. In battles like the bandit cave, and the battles leading up to that, I found that the new AI causes all foes, including the bowman, to focus on the weakest tank unit, usually Duvalier for me. He would end up taking about 50 damage, and would then have to retreat and be healed. An unbreakable shield/ diamond shield would be helpful in this scenario; I could have set cast it, and then the all of the attackers would focus on Duvalier (because he has the lowest health and is essential), who would take no damage. If I had healed Duvalier, they would attack somebody else, who might also have been weakened. This move allows me to have one character draw enemy fire, while sustaining no damage.
I doubt the enemies would attack anyone with "Unbreakable Shield" when most of the time they won't attack Grif's front due to his counter-attack.  Do you expect Craig to reprogram all enemy AI for an attack that serves the same purpose as Static Shield?

Ertxiem

Just quoting my idea so that it's in the correct thread.
Quote from: Ertxiem on August 19, 2010, 06:35:35 AM
[...]
Shield Crush. The caster creates a shield around his enemy, trapping him, and reduces his size, thereby crushing the enemy inside.
[...]

Regarding the Unbreakable Shield the enemy AI should be able to recognize that a character is unaffected by their attacks and decide to attack another of our allies (at least this should happen with the brutal difficulty).
In my opinion, the Unbreakable Shield haven't created enough consensus to be formulated (at least not for now). Perhaps someone in a couple of days has some new idea or brings up some new argument that makes a few of us change our minds.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

MikeW781

Quote from: Ertxiem on August 19, 2010, 08:42:43 PM
Regarding the Unbreakable Shield the enemy AI should be able to recognize that a character is unaffected by their attacks and decide to attack another of our allies (at least this should happen with the brutal difficulty).
Quote from: im2smart4u on August 19, 2010, 04:47:19 PM
I doubt the enemies would attack anyone with "Unbreakable Shield" when most of the time they won't attack Grif's front due to his counter-attack.  Do you expect Craig to reprogram all enemy AI for an attack that serves the same purpose as Static Shield?
I was thinking the AI would need no change at all, so they would attack the target they usually would, so you could anticipate this and put the shield on him. But, you guys are right, it doesn't make a ton of sense to add. Set already has a formidable arsenal anyways, so I am now neutral towards it.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Cypher on August 19, 2010, 10:43:25 AM
I never said it's useful, just that it should be called Diamond Shield.
Quote from: MikeW781 on August 19, 2010, 09:00:03 PM
But, you guys are right, it doesn't make a ton of sense to add. Set already has a formidable arsenal anyways, so I am now neutral towards it.
Does anyone actually want Unbreakable Shield?

SmartyPants

Quote from: im2smart4u on February 13, 2010, 10:55:14 AM
I thought of a Static Shield would be useful for Psy Points.

Boost: Luca doesn't just supply Psy Points anymore. She now helps teammates focus to the point where they can store even more PsP.
Element: Mental
Range: 1 Space
Cost: Psy Power + Boost Level
Amount Transferred: (Psy Power + Boost Level)/2
Status Effects: Target's max PsP increases

An alternative for Boost could be the ability to increase a target's Psy Power. This could increase the damage of attacks, the potency of shields, and the amount of stored PsP. This form of Boost is similar to Fury.

Boost:
Range: 1 space
Cost: 6
Status Effect: Target's Psy Power increases by 1
I think Ertxiem would agree

Cypher

Ertxiem

I remember something like boost. (Checking the link... Oh. Now I remember why I remembered!)

I prefer the 1st version. It's more original in the sense that you can "get" the 2nd version with training.
To make things interesting, what if boost costed Luca some PsP and Health?
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

Cypher

Well...I guess it could be fair... but personally I prefer it costing just PsP.

MikeW781

Quote from: im2smart4u on August 20, 2010, 12:01:11 AM
Boost: Luca doesn't just supply Psy Points anymore. She now helps teammates focus to the point where they can store even more PsP.
Element: Mental
Range: 1 Space
Cost: Psy Power + Boost Level
Amount Transferred: (Psy Power + Boost Level)/2
Status Effects: Target's max PsP increases
Why does the cost go up with the Psy power can skill?
Aside from that, which was likely just an error, i like the idea.