News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New Enemy Ideas

Started by KZ, February 05, 2010, 07:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyso

QuoteBy increasing the Golems' range, the golems will be less easy to avoid and therefore they don't fit the golem niche.
The entire point of the cannon golem was to make a medium range, hard to defeat golem (sort of like Dorgon). If enough people think it shouldn't be mobile, though, I can change it.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

Presentiment

Quote from: im2smart4u on March 05, 2010, 02:51:05 PM
Guns and Bombs don't fit in the Cera Bella world, so enemies that use guns or bombs should not be put in the game.

The Mechanics had a golem which fired gigantic laser beams.

I'm pretty sure ballistics are fine.

hellboy222

for the glider add an attack that has a range of 4 and get rid of the counter attack.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Presentiment on March 05, 2010, 09:37:58 PM
Guns and Bombs don't fit in the Cera Bella world, so enemies that use guns or bombs should not be put in the game.

The energy golem uses crystals to fire lasers; not gun powder.  Gunpowder doesn't fit in the Telepath world, so guns and bombs don't fit in the Telepath world.

Presentiment

Quote from: im2smart4u on March 06, 2010, 12:14:36 PM
Quote from: Presentiment on March 05, 2010, 09:37:58 PM

The energy golem uses crystals to fire lasers; not gun powder.  Gunpowder doesn't fit in the Telepath world, so guns and bombs don't fit in the Telepath world.

Of course they don't use gunpowder.

That wasn't my point.

My point was, what evidence do you have for your claim ballistics do not fit in the Telepath world?

cyso

Well, there isn't that much evidence, but in the real world, guns were invented long after other ballistics. For example, cannons were invented in somewhere around the 3rd century, along with gun powder (it wasn't called that). Guns came along in the 15th century. It would be one thing to have gun powder (or black powder, as the called it), but guns wouldn't quite be in the time zone.

Presentiment

I don't see your point. We haven't seen any fireworks in Telepath yet, but we have seen semi-intelligent golems and automatons who fire lasers.

In our world, steam engines, AI, and lasers (much less lasers powerful enough to pierce entire battlefields), came far after the invention of guns.

cyso

The lasers weren't created the same way lasers are today. Like im2smart4u said, they stored energy in crystals. The lasers are not a demonstration of technology in the TRPG universe, they are a demonstration of what you can do with a crystal.
As for the golems, I think the wiki said they were a species.
Plus, even if guns were invented, they would be in their early stages. In their early stages, they were about as good as a crossbow. There would be no point to having a gun that would do the same thing as a crossbow. Plus, it goes against the feel of the games.

SmartyPants

Quote from: yogc on March 06, 2010, 04:02:25 PM
Plus, even if guns were invented, they would be in their early stages. In their early stages, they were about as good as a crossbow. There would be no point to having a gun that would do the same thing as a crossbow. Plus, it goes against the feel of the games.
If you were armed with one of the first guns, you had one inaccurate shot and then you had no time to reload.  Now you have to use the gun as a club.

Some cultures develop some concepts faster then others.  The Mayans had a highly advance understanding of astronomy, yet they never invented the wheel.

Plus, the majority of people agree that guns and bombs don't fit in the Telepath world.

cyso

Gliding Archer

Health: 25
Speed: 3
Attack: Piercing Crosbow (Range 2-3, Attack: 14)
Counter Attack: Crossbow (Range 2, Attack: 14)
Resistance: Light
Immunity: None
Cannon Golem: Health: 33
Speed: 1
Attack: Bolt Shot (for lack of better name): Damage: 10 Range: 1-3
As far as I can see, these are the only two ideas that have been presented for about two pages. I think it would be best if we started presenting ideas again. If you want to discuss gunpowder, I suggest you discuss it on the "Technology of Cera Bella" thread.

hellboy222

what about some type of watchtower health would be like 40 speed is 0 or something cant think of any attacks right now.

cyso

Instead of having a watch tower as an enemy, you could have it as a small building (1x1 square) and have a marksman or some other ranged unit inside.

Ertxiem

I like the gliding archer idea.
Could he be propelled by the same source of energy that the golems use?

About the canon golem, I don't really like it that much... I think that the dirt throwing golem is a better idea. Could it only appear in places whithout water or bridges?

Another way to go was to make a version 2.0 of the existing golems. Like an iron golem with a spin saw attack of range 2 from both sides, like:

LL&RR
LLL&RRR
LL-G-RR
-G-: Golem
L: Places attacked with the left arm
R: Places attacked with the right arm
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

cyso

The dirt throwing golem was a good idea, but it wouldn't make sense to scoop dirt up from a wooden bridge.
I think the iron golem might have a few friendly fire problems...

Ertxiem

All the ranged attack have a few friendly fire problems.

Before, what I meant to say is that the dirt throwing golem could appear only in maps without bridges.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.