News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New Enemy Ideas

Started by KZ, February 05, 2010, 07:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hellboy222

yeah that was my idea when I posted it have it only places with dirt and sand which there is a lot of desert.

Ertxiem

Another idea is to have a static dirt throwing golem that can shoot in the diagonal too. Perhaps a range 2 attack at North and a 1 diagonal attack at NE or NW.
Anyway, in my opinion, a static golem is not as fun to fight against as a moving one.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

KZ

Going back to the Arhcer Glider: I like the idea and I support it. Two pages back, I believe, I gave a hand-waving explanation of how it can be used without the need to resort to Crystals or the likes.
For the issue of ballistsics, like all the others said: that simply doesn't fit into the Telepath world, Craig also commented on the aspects on the old forums. Hence the majority is against gun-powder and the likes, . as was the case on the old forums as well.
For the Golem, I prefer best the Bolt Golem version: a ranged golem that fires bolts at people. (So, made from metal itself, it will have some of the bolts stored inside it- I'm pretty sure it will be credible enough, since it won't use more than 10 per battle, typically. And then the bolts can be re-stocked later on- same goes for arrows and the likes.)
With the excavating golem- there is the terrain type issue, which I don't think will be overcome, thus I think the above might be the best we can come up with in terms of rendering a credible, projectile-throwing golem.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

hellboy222

what about a golem like the laser ones but instead it shoots a condensed ball of pure psy which explodes once it touches something.
health:35
attack:psy bomb or explosion damage 15 range 3 3x3;
counter attack: damage 5 range1
speed:2
resistance:physical
weakness:none

Zhampir

For the archer golem I suggest the name Arbalest Golem (arbalest: noun :a powerful medieval crossbow with a steel bow, used to shoot stones, metal balls, arrows, etc.) It seems to fit with the current and probable future descriptions of this golem and it would be nice to have a more set name than floating it around with Cannon Golem, Archer Golem, and much better that "Piercing-Steel-Rod-Launching Golem"  :P

cyso

Name sounds cool, but no one playing the games would have any clue what arbalest means.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

Ertxiem

I see no problem with Arbalest. The same way most of the players will not know that Tig came from sterigma (a horn shaped structure from which the spores are released).
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

cyso

Good point. Should we call it the Arbalest Golem or just the Arbalest?
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

KZ

Seems like all folks are content with the Gliding Archer idea, so I'll go ahead and add that into formulated.

For the golem, I like the Arbalest name- those who know Russian will get the meaning of it straight away. Plus, Craig puts in lots of cultural references,so those who wish to, may explore and learn something knew (I mean, c'mon, Hobbes, Locke as Spriggat Assassins?! Penumbra? I am sure someone somewhere wondered... and found out something interesting because of it!)

I am against excavation type golem, due to terrain limitation, but a huge cross-bow with firing an arrow, rather than a bolt, seems fitting, in my opinion.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on March 14, 2010, 06:22:04 PM
Seems like all folks are content with the Gliding Archer idea, so I'll go ahead and add that into formulated.
The only problem I find with the Gliding Archer is the movement of a glider.  How can a glider float in one place and how does a glider make 90 degree turns?

Zhampir

as KZ stated, the glider only "flies" when going over flyable terain, other wise he is one the ground. in order to glide he/she either uses telekinesis to give him/her-self lift or uses some other sort of telepathy to "run-up" the object.

KZ

I did post an elaborate explanations a few pages back, if you don't mind sifting through it, then I think it's on page 6 or 7.
Zhampir almost got it right: the explanation involves using a very elaborate wing design to make sharp turns without resorting to Psy abilities (double wing model, with very complex aerodynamics- might be hard to draw).  The floating in one place, if over an obstacle, can be explained by the glider being forzen mid-flight during that one turn (effectively it's rather hard to apply real-time onto the battlefield turn system)- so let' jsut say that the person runs up in such a fashion as to fly over an obstacle and execute a complex turn.
Welcome to the forums!

SmartyPants

Quote from: Zhampir on March 14, 2010, 06:56:34 PM
as KZ stated, the glider only "flies" when going over flyable terain, other wise he is one the ground. in order to glide he/she either uses telekinesis to give him/her-self lift or uses some other sort of telepathy to "run-up" the object.
The Guard memebers are not allowed to be psys, so telepathy is not an option.

KZ

Just to point out: the Glider is part of the Mechanics ensemble, not the Ravinale Guard.
Welcome to the forums!

Zhampir

I think the glider is a unit of the mechanics not the cult. besides, as KZ pointed out, my memory of the dynamics of the glider were off. Instead the mobility of the unit seems to be entirely mechanically based without any (or little) psy influence.