News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

100 Members

Started by Zackirus, March 27, 2010, 08:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duskling

What if we become a big and friendly community?

KZ

That would be good, but keeping the friendly and familiar part would be a tad hard. And getting all those nice, friendly and smart/well versed folks onto here will be a bit of a challenge ;)
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Duskling

Indeed it is, but KZ, may I ask you something?

KZ

I'm all up for it, but attracting the right kind of folks takes time, y'know. Like LL or Ert, they come, and sometimes they go, but it's nice when there is a healthy, fruitful and intellectual discussion.

(Judging by the way the question is phrased, a PM would do just fine.)
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Duskling

Since I had nothing better to do at the moment, I counted all the members with over 20 posts, we have 31 of those users.

Ertxiem

We could use a forum size measure (I saw something similar elsewhere) n:
n is the largest integer such that at least n forum members have at least (the same) n posts (excluding forum games).

Currently, n=28 (i.e., 28 members have posted at least 28 messages).
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

Tastidian

Quote from: KZ on July 22, 2010, 07:34:38 AM
That would be good, but keeping the friendly and familiar part would be a tad hard. And getting all those nice, friendly and smart/well versed folks onto here will be a bit of a challenge ;)

Like me.  ;)  :P I think we would need a lot of mods. I hope LL comes soon from the old forums LL is awesome. Each mod should only monitor a certain Part like fanart, general discussion, etc. etc. etc. Ert and you KZ should be the ones who are all knowing forum mods.

Duskling

Wouldn't that be a little unfair for the mod who overwatches "Fanart?" Honestly, not much happens around there.

Tastidian

By the time a lot of people will be there or if not why not just the entire creative section, one for TSOG, one for the rest of the games, 2 for general and intro.

The Holy namelesskitty

I think that if there just were many mods watching everything, that would be just as good if not better, not to mention much easier to coordinate.
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

Tastidian

How about clones of erts and kzs? :P

Duskling

Quote from: PinkPanzer on July 29, 2010, 12:49:37 AM
How about clones of erts and kzs? :P
I'll just assume you are serious and say that that is a horrible idea! They'll all turn out to be spammers sooner or later because of the confusion of which KZ or Ert is which. Don't point out the post count.

MikeW781

To be honest, we don't need any more moderators for our community size.

Out of the many forums for game developers I've seen, this one ranks top. We have two very, very dedicated moderators, and an active developer who listens to our suggestions. Craig has made a perfect balance for mods: members, and we have a great atmosphere here. If a newbie posts an idea, it is thought of the same as if KZ himself suggested it. If the new member posted something unreasonable, or incompatible with the TsoG series, he is politely told so. If he sticks around, he learns how to post good ideas.
In some forums, there aren't enough moderators. Consider Bungie.net. Bungie is awesome, and everybody knows they care. But they don't have enough mods to control the enormous fanbase, and the number of 10 year olds who post "Cool story bro" in every single thread.
In other forums, like Infinity Ward, the mods are simply non-existant. The only moderator is somebody named "fourzerotwo" that people make jokes about, and the only reason I know he's a mod is because it says so on the top of every board. The only reason the forum isn't filled with terrible language is because they put a filter in that switches cusses for ***, and it doesn't work half the time.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

The Holy namelesskitty

I actually agree, that we are getting along just fine for now, but there are becoming more and more active posters, and soon we may need one or even two new moderators, which brings us to the question of who to make the new moderators. To answer this simply, I have no clue, but probably, somebody who was active in the old forums, is not a spammer, is good at seeing both sides of a problem, and is not likely to lose interest. If somebody has an honest suggestion please tell me.
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

MikeW781

Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!