News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New Shadowling Colors

Started by SmartyPants, April 03, 2010, 07:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What new color shadowlings should there be?

Orange
4 (19%)
Yellow
2 (9.5%)
Orange & Yellow
9 (42.9%)
There shouldn't be new colors
6 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Duskling

Alas, I' am bested and silenced once more, but I'll be back...

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duskling on June 03, 2010, 06:13:55 PMAlso, it says that they "start out red" and they "finally turn green," which implies that orange and yellow were most likely just ignored, or didn't seem likely in the TRPG universe.
The wiki only includes current canon, so speculation about orange and yellow won't be included in the article.
For example: The color purple wasn't in the wiki until the appearance of Malis.

SmartyPants

I think it would be cool to make Carrion orange since he is younger then most shadowlings.

KZ

Just to point out, folks, that the colour wheel wasn't much of a discussion point in the olden days- and I am not sure why it was put up on the wiki in the first place, as most theories about Shadowling colour revolved around their age and the energies related to the emitted wavelengths (hence- colour), and not much was siad in terms of looking at age and colour from point of view of art. So I don't think the absent parts of the wheel are that important. However, given that "yellowing" upon death would equate to having lower energies, it sort of fits in, yet it also implies that a dying old Shadowling is more powerful than a young red one! Which doesn't make much sense, really! Plus, I doubt we'll get to see much of newborn or dying Shadowlings (from old age, that is). It's also a good question of how do Shadowlings die of old age? Given the idea of Shadowling anatomy from the old forums, methinks they'll explode like stars and dissapear in a whiff of dark smoke (ie like the "plume" Malis mentions), when they no longer can or care to control with their Psy power the raw energy within them.
On the point of Shadowling immirtality, I think it's pretty clear that they are very mortal indeed (take, for instance, Nelis, who was considered unique and immortal by Shadowlings, suggesting that they are quite mortal; think of Lala, who talks about getting older, which does imply, quite clearly, eventual passing from the material plane).

I, for one, would like to see some light shed on what other appendices, like the horns, can Shadowlings obtain? (Presumably, they'll also be bones?)
After all, the colour idea has been discussed quite a bit, but those horns (as Craig said- some Shadowlings simply get them, not an indication of power or status or age), though random, do allow room for creativity...
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

I don't understand why you think the "emitted wavelengths" would make shadowlings more powerful.  The Light element deals with electromagnetic radiation or "emitted wavelengths", while the Shadowlings' Shadow element deals with physical forms of negative emotions.  The color wouldn't effect a shadowlings power because shadowlings don't use the Light element (Tastidian and Nelis being the exception).

I also thought of a better theory to explain Nelis and Tastidian's color.  Since spirits are made of pure psy energy and the spirits are completly white, then raw psy energy is white.  Therefore the massive amount of psy energy in the Shadowling Queen and Tastidian causes them to glow white.

Sorry KZ, but the poll shows that most people want to see more shadowling colors

KZ

Interesting way of looking at it, but the nature of the Shadowling may have nothing to do with their ability to manipulate an element- for instance, although humans are mostly water, it doesn't mean we can freeze it or heat it up or manipulate it much on our own free will. Thus, these two points are not mutually exclusive.

Mmm, that theory has been around for quite some time, im2smart4u, for about two years, about the high amount of raw Psy energy causing Nelis and Tastidian to glow white. The only extra bit is the connection to the Spirits, which is quite neat, methinks.

It's fine by me, as long as those colours are fitted and explained away nicely, I don't see why not. Question is wherether Craig would have the time or desire to see them added in.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

Since not everyone likes the yellowing while nearing death idea, does anyone have a better idea for including a yellow shadowling?

Bromtaghon

Genetic experiment?
Over-exposure to sunlight?
Quote from: Tastidian on July 02, 2010, 02:52:50 AM
He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends.

Current Elemental Master of Cryokinesis.

Zackirus

Quote from: Bromtaghon on July 02, 2010, 07:57:56 PM
Genetic experiment?

As Barzul's story suggests: the experiment to give shadowlings the ability to control light. I don't think however Craig would use that idea as the main focus right now is the situation in Ravinville and not Somnus.
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

Duskling

How about a Shadowling that took a direct Light Blast and survived?

Zackirus

That sounds impropable as the many people might have survived a direct elemental attack but they didn't devolp those elemental attacks...
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

Duskling

I mean that the EMP in the blast was strong enough to alter his/her DNA to make him yellow, but not so to make him fluent in Light attacks, I mean, a Shadowling with a Light attack would be ridiculous.

Bromtaghon

Zhampir

Yes but Nelis' control of light based attacks comes from the amount of psy power dwelling inside of her.

Bromtaghon

Does it? I've never heard any official confirmation about where her power comes from.