News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Thoughts on current administration (of the country(s))

Started by The Holy namelesskitty, June 25, 2010, 06:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArtDrake

You can stop hating on the healthcare bill now -- it's all right. It's passed. Unless there is another healthcare bill?

Anyway, seriously. Marijuana is a drug, recognized as such by the FDA, the WHO, and me. It makes people artificially "happy", and this is an alteration of the body's normal functioning. The human body is not designed to be high. The end. Now, as Buggy said, keep the marijuana debate where it belongs, unless you'd like to talk about the political aspects of marijuana and how you think your leaders are handling the problem. If you want to talk about the lack of medical benefits, the fact that it's a drug, or the long-term health risks associated with this drug and its use, go to the Marijuana thread.

Quote from: im2smart4u on April 20, 2011, 10:31:20 PM
Quote from: Duckling on April 20, 2011, 06:36:26 PMNo. The Supreme Court ruled against Filburn because his activities affected interstate trade, because wheat was traded nationally. Marijuana does not have such a national trade; it grows most anywhere, and cultivation and distribution is nearly completely local. The United States can outlaw interstate trade of anything, but if the interstate trade is cut off, the product is no longer traded nationally, and no further Commerce Clause restrictions apply.
I don't think you understood Wickard v. Filburn.  Roscoe Filburn had no intention of selling his wheat, but by growing wheat, he effected the supply and demand which gives the federal government jurisdiction under the Commerce Clause.  Congress has the right to eliminate the supply and trade of any protect due to the Commerce Clause.

Quote from: Duckling on April 20, 2011, 06:36:26 PMHealth insurance applies because the market is national; people travel between states to recieve it, and health insurers operate in multiple states. But if there is no interstate trade, the intrastate trade cannot be regulated as per the Tenth Amendment.
I may be wrong, but I don't think you can buy insurance across state lines, because of all the conflicting state health care laws.  The Republicans' plan was to try to allow consumers to buy over state lines, so competition increases which causes prices to drop.  You didn't hear much about the plan because it was overshadowed by Obama's plan to socialize health care.

I don't think you fully understand Wickard v. Filburn. Roscoe Filburn had every intention of using his wheat for his own personal use, and by growing it rather than buying it, or using the part of his crop that fell below the restricted levels, he affected the national market. If Obama declares that healthcare is national and socialized, then the use of intrastate healthcare affects the national commercial system of healthcare, post-socialization. So, after inter-state healthcare is established, intra-state healthcare may be removed or interfered with in whatever manner Obama sees fit (legally). However, in the other direction (shutting down trade), if the federal government shuts down state marijuana trade (supposing that, to start, marijuana was legal everywhere), they are authorized to do to, as the intra-state trade affects the national trade. However, if they shut down inter-state trade, Wickard v. Filburn precedent no longer applies; there is no national trade. Therefore, intra-state trade cannot affect the national trade, therefore, it cannot be subject to limitations as per Wickard v. Filburn, as per the Tenth Amendment of the Constitution of the United States.

The Holy namelesskitty

Duck is right on this, Wickard v. Filburn did play out like that and he has used the correct interpretation of the ruling.
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

Zackirus

Well, In three to ten minutes I'll know who the next Prime Minister of Canada is...
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

The Holy namelesskitty

THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

Zackirus

No Need, The Conservatives have a majority! They have won 167 seats (155 is a majority) and surprisingly the NDP who have never been official the party of opposition with 104 seats.

Conservatives: 168
NDP: 102
Liberal: 34
Bloc: 3
Green: 1

I have a mission for everyone, check tommorow's paper to see if it has the Canadian Election in it for me!
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

bugfartboy

I was wondering when you'd tell us about the results.

Zackirus

Some ridings are still jumping around but the conservatives have won. The skies will be a bit more blue tomorrow folks.

- Lord Canada

bugfartboy

Hmm... Thanks for keeping us in the know, Zack. Sorry, though. For reasons you and I have talked about before, I won't be able to check the paper.