News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

How does the Crystal Orb work?

Started by SmartyPants, July 09, 2010, 12:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmartyPants

Quote from: Fyer on January 19, 2011, 04:39:28 PMIT'S A GHOOO-SSTT OOORRBBB... Ooooooo!!!! Wooohh!!! Maybe instead of it just beig crafted or forged, a powerful spirit was somehow trapped in it so that the bearer of the orb becomes like the spirit to a degree. Including the resistance. But not the flight. Does that make more sense? I mean, we already have ghosts. Why can't one just be trapped telekinetically in a crystal orb?
That is one of the most ridiculous things that someone has posted on this forum. It is almost as bad as the crazy Theory on Everything.

bugfartboy

I personally think it makes more sense than "tapping into a person's spirit".

Steelfist

Perhaps it causes the air around the holder to become more solid, slowing psysical attacks, so they do less damage. However, as mental attacks do not precisely interact with the air, they are not affected. Similar to mind shield, maybe, but it's moderately reasonable (All things considered).

SmartyPants

Quote from: Steelfist on January 21, 2011, 12:13:34 PMPerhaps it causes the air around the holder to become more solid, slowing psysical attacks, so they do less damage. However, as mental attacks do not precisely interact with the air, they are not affected. Similar to mind shield, maybe, but it's moderately reasonable (All things considered).
It makes sense, but it seems like it would take alot of power to compress air inorder for it to slow down a sword or spear.

Steelfist

I wouldn't say that it was beyond their capabilities; we don't know their powers, but it is likely fairly vast.

ArtDrake

Before I go any further, I don't suppose anyone would be open to an explanation involving relativity, would they?

Steelfist

I don't mind. Try to keep it concise.

Idozen Cair

Quote from: im2smart4u on January 19, 2011, 05:15:18 PM
Quote from: Fyer on January 19, 2011, 04:39:28 PMIT'S A GHOOO-SSTT OOORRBBB... Ooooooo!!!! Wooohh!!! Maybe instead of it just beig crafted or forged, a powerful spirit was somehow trapped in it so that the bearer of the orb becomes like the spirit to a degree. Including the resistance. But not the flight. Does that make more sense? I mean, we already have ghosts. Why can't one just be trapped telekinetically in a crystal orb?
That is one of the most ridiculous things that someone has posted on this forum. It is almost as bad as the crazy Theory on Everything.
Put Theory on Everything on the candidates to be deleted. Anyway my theory is somewhat similar to KZ, but I just wanted to ask why will a thickness in skin decrease the damage done by elemental attacks?
I doesn't care, do I?

ArtDrake

I was thinking maybe that it creates a small temporal field at the perimeter of your body where time progresses at one-half the speed, and thus decreases any damage done by a factor of two.

bugfartboy

But then other non-physical/mental attacks would be prolonged too.

ArtDrake

I thought telepathy didn't so much pass through space as through... minds?

And Light, Dark, and Cold should be fine. Light should fry just as much, and since it's intense over short time, it would be less intense over more time, so really, there should be no difference in damage. Shadow should be just as corrosive. Cold should have even less kinetic energy.

I'm not sure about Heat, though...

bugfartboy

So there's the flaw in your theory. So how would heat be affected?
Just like other theories atheists have a habit of coming up with

ArtDrake

One still obtains if one is too close to a fire. Moving in the temporal field for twice as long means the kinetic energy will decay as radiative twice as fast, pretty much compensating for the reduced kinetic energy.

bugfartboy

And that temporal field would be creates how? Magic?
Predicted answer: I don't know. It just happened.

ArtDrake

And those Psy powers across the entire Telepath Universe would be created how? By magic?