News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

How to get rid of extra Soul Charges?

Started by KZ, July 24, 2010, 09:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KZ

Branching off from this topic, the question (quite unexpectedly, at least for myself) arose is "how ot get rid of soul charges"?
Although they're used to revive teammates in-game, it seems that some folks don't like to use them or have too many of them for ethical, practical, financial or style reasons (see page 2 of the original thread)! Thus, what sort of solutions would you like to see for this issue, folks?

How about if Luca reaches, say, 50 or 100 soul charges, she can either disperse them in-battle for a poweful elemental attack (e.g. Soul Blast, covers the whole area, like Holy Blast, and deals 20 damage to all enemy units, and friendly units as well, if friendly fire is on) or disperse them at the HQ, but instead gain extra 10-20 PsP or health (the leftover energy released in letting souls dissipate from the material realm into another plane can be gathered by Luca)? What are your thoughts on this?
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

MikeW781

Quote from: KZ on July 24, 2010, 09:30:38 AM
Branching off from this topic, the question (quite unexpectedly, at least for myself) arose is "how ot get rid of soul charges"?
Although they're used to revive teammates in-game, it seems that some folks don't like to use them or have too many of them for ethical, practical, financial or style reasons (see page 2 of the original thread)! Thus, what sort of solutions would you like to see for this issue, folks?

How about if Luca reaches, say, 50 or 100 soul charges, she can either disperse them in-battle for a poweful elemental attack (e.g. Soul Blast, covers the whole area, like Holy Blast, and deals 20 damage to all enemy units, and friendly units as well, if friendly fire is on) or disperse them at the HQ, but instead gain extra 10-20 PsP or health (the leftover energy released in letting souls dissipate from the material realm into another plane can be gathered by Luca)? What are your thoughts on this?
I think they could be traded for a monetary reward- prehaps a owner at the Arena wants you to revive dead combatants and will pay you handsomely?
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Dorgon 5000

Maybe she gets the power to take you to a secret area?

KZ

I think it will be a tad morally dubious to sell someone's souls for money, don't you think?

I don't know about a secret area- would that require a lot of extra work for Craig? Well, maybe getting a glimpse of what's on the other side, or getting to see some of the backstroies of some of the consumed souls (e.g. put in a couple of generic texts for a Bandit, a Ravinale Guard, a bug, etc) would be quite interesting, methinks. (Though that might look like a rip-off from Mardek 3...)
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Dorgon 5000

Quote from: KZ on July 24, 2010, 03:26:25 PM
I think it will be a tad morally dubious to sell someone's souls for money, don't you think?

I don't know about a secret area- would that require a lot of extra work for Craig? Well, maybe getting a glimpse of what's on the other side, or getting to see some of the backstroies of some of the consumed souls (e.g. put in a couple of generic texts for a Bandit, a Ravinale Guard, a bug, etc) would be quite interesting, methinks. (Though that might look like a rip-off from Mardek 3...)

Craig has made a lot of areas already, I donĀ“t think one more should be any big deal. KZ had a good idea, but rip-offs are something that we should keep the telepath series free from.

SmartyPants

Maybe Soul Suck should be weaken where it is more difficult to gather Soul Charges.

I doubt anyone can play all the missions(without constant gold farming) on Brutal Friendly Fire and not  have a single player die.

KZ

Why should soul suck weaken? It's already a weak enough attack as it is, or are you referring to the % of how many times a lethal Soul Suck manages to get Soul Charges?
If the latter, I'd still keep it at 100%, and those who wish to avoid extra soul charges, should simply refrain from using soul suck and, instead, use Mind Blast if they know that the attack will kill the enemy unit and get the team a soul charge.
Welcome to the forums!

algebra15

Sounds great. My only problem is: what if you're using Luca for giving Duvalier Psy Points? Then one would want to save up Luca's PsP, and if she's behind him, then a ranged attack works.
This is Gambit. The cards are about to explode. Goodbye!

KZ

Well, surely a skilled, or even a semi-skilled gamer could simply use Luca's Soul Suck in times when it won't kill the unit? I am sure that if the player half-heartedly tries avoiding accumulating soul charges, 98% of the time he or she won't be put into a situation where that would significantly affect game play and be of major inconvenience. I actually have to put effort into getting the soul charges, even when I am grinding or facing highly superior/inferior opposition.
Welcome to the forums!

algebra15

I admit that that is a good solution to the problem. And for one to say otherwise would be saying one is not even a semi-skilled gamer. Maybe we don't need a way to get rid of  Soul Charges.
This is Gambit. The cards are about to explode. Goodbye!

TheWanderingShadow

I kind of instictively collect Soul Charges now. :P I feel it isn't necessary to get rid of Soul Charges. I mean, it doesn't affect anything to have too many, right? Soul suck should be used as just any normal attack in battle. It even has tactical value, being Luca's only long distance attack.
_   _   _   ___     ___     _   _    ___   |  |
\ \/  \/ / '| _  \  / / \ \  |  \| |  / /  _  |_|
\_/\_ /   |_|\'\  \ \ / /  |_\_ |  \ \_./   O

Duskling

Quote from: TheWanderingShadow on October 20, 2010, 08:24:52 PM
I kind of instictively collect Soul Charges now. :P I feel it isn't necessary to get rid of Soul Charges. I mean, it doesn't affect anything to have too many, right? Soul suck should be used as just any normal attack in battle. It even has tactical value, being Luca's only long distance attack.
I agree, but don't you mean, "Luca's only long distance attack so far?"

bugfartboy

And it happens to have the opposite of a cost. So despite it being weak, it aids Luca in keeping her Psi Points up. The Soul Charges are just kinda a bonus in my opinion.

ArtDrake

It just bothers me that unless you purposefully kill someone off, you have no way to rid yourself of them. Perhaps there could be a Personality bonus for letting them go by en masse?

bugfartboy

Hmm. I don't know. Not everything need to have a bonus. Maybe it could create a possible battle based on what your personality is. Surely some of the spirits would want to get some revenge for being killed. And the Hero could try to talk himself out of it based on his personality.