News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Mac, Windows or Linux?

Started by Cypher, August 02, 2010, 05:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is the best operating system?

Mac
Windows
Linux

Cypher

The title is self-explanatory. I think the Mac is the most efficient, and user-friendly.

The Holy namelesskitty

Windows is the most powerful and cost effective.
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

MikeW781

Windows are good. The Mac operating system allows you to easily preform basic functions, but when you learn how to use Windows, its better
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Duskling

I use Windows Vista, and I'm happy with it, especially since I can't afford a Mac. :D

Ertxiem

Well, since Linux is free, it must be the most cost efficient of them all! ;)

In my opinion, Linux is quite good if you want to do some common tasks and some computer based scientific research. Mac OS is the more user friendly of them all and has some good applications for artists (and ends up being the more expensive of the three). Windows has the most applications, in particular games.
So I guess it comes down to what you want from the OS.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

Duskling

Quote from: Ertxiem on August 14, 2010, 09:23:31 PM
Well, since Linux is free, it must be the most cost efficient of them all! ;)

In my opinion, Linux is quite good if you want to do some common tasks and some computer based scientific research. Mac OS is the more user friendly of them all and has some good applications for artists (and ends up being the more expensive of the three). Windows has the most applications, in particular games.
So I guess it comes down to what you want from the OS.
Oh the logic of it is tearing me apart! :D Really, I didn't even know about Linux until the point I stumbled upon Sinister Design.

KZ

Linux is the most versatile of the lot, as people can taylor the OS to their individual needs, which also means that it's much more difficult to develop blanket-cover viruses that hit windows most of the time. Thus, from the point of view of security, Linux can be the best of the 3. However, the big downside to Linus is that you have to be proficient in programming in order to navigate your way around- thus it's the least user-friendly of the 3.
Windows generally does a good job for your average users, who doesn't want to know the mechanics of it all, plus most software is windows-compatible. The downside is the weak data protection, due to the vast majority of malicious software targeted to the standard settings of this OS. It is also considered to be the "buggiest" of the lot.
Mac, apart from being the most expensive, though not very glitchy at all, has also the compatibility issue - although a great deal of software is Mac compatible, most start out with the aim of making their software compatible with windows, and only then with Mac. It is also quite a restrictive OS- mac products can only be used on it, and not elsewhere - so some people make a stand against "on principle".
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Cypher

Quote from: KZ on August 30, 2010, 12:03:21 PM
Linux is the most versatile of the lot, as people can taylor the OS to their individual needs, which also means that it's much more difficult to develop blanket-cover viruses that hit windows most of the time. Thus, from the point of view of security, Linux can be the best of the 3. However, the big downside to Linus is that you have to be proficient in programming in order to navigate your way around- thus it's the least user-friendly of the 3.
Windows generally does a good job for your average users, who doesn't want to know the mechanics of it all, plus most software is windows-compatible. The downside is the weak data protection, due to the vast majority of malicious software targeted to the standard settings of this OS. It is also considered to be the "buggiest" of the lot.
Mac, apart from being the most expensive, though not very glitchy at all, has also the compatibility issue - although a great deal of software is Mac compatible, most start out with the aim of making their software compatible with windows, and only then with Mac. It is also quite a restrictive OS- mac products can only be used on it, and not elsewhere - so some people make a stand against "on principle".
Speaking of which, I'm very happy it's now legal to jailbreak your iPhone/iPod Touch.

bugfartboy

So where do you get Linux? Never mind. But I never knew of it's existence until now. But I use windows vista.

Cypher

Quote from: bugfartboy on August 30, 2010, 12:11:25 PM
So where do you get Linux? Never mind. But I never knew of it's existence until now. But I use windows vista.
That's not so uncommon, I believe. I think Vista is a bit slow, don't you?

bugfartboy

Yeah. Mines only a year old and it takes foorreevveerr too llllloooooaaaaaddddd... Is Linux available to download online?

Cypher

Quote from: bugfartboy on August 30, 2010, 01:08:07 PM
Yeah. Mines only a year old and it takes foorreevveerr too llllloooooaaaaaddddd... Is Linux available to download online?
I extrapolate it is.

I have a Mac and Windows (Vista, unfortunately) and I use the Windows for documents and work, but my mac to browse the net (so much faster! ;D)

Ertxiem

There are quite a few Linux distributions (types of Linux) out there. You may want to take a look at the section "Tools for choosing a distribution". I, personally use Kubuntu 8.04 (from Apr/2008), since my computer was bought a few months earlier than that (I tried Kubuntu 10.04 but its slower in my PC). I find it quite user friendly (although not as much as Windows), but you'll need some time to get used to the way some things work. However, when something doesn't work, it will give you an headache to fix it.

Trying linux with a live CD or a live USB is a nice way to explore a Linux distro without changing anything in your hard drive. Another way to go is to install a virtual machine (I use VirtualBox when I really need to use Windows).

I was told that Windows 7 is clearly faster than Windows Vista (I just have tried Win7, so I can't tell anything first hand).
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.