News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New Orb Ideas

Started by SmartyPants, August 20, 2010, 12:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArtDrake

"Not I," said the duck.

Mind Blast is an attack we just ought to just have to strategize around. Surely a brilliant strategist like yourself, who uses the fact that he plays on Brutal Friendly Fire as an argument point, should be able to manage surviving despite a rather weak attack remaining unresisted?

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling on September 04, 2010, 09:10:43 PM
"Not I," said the duck.

Mind Blast is an attack we just ought to just have to strategize around. Surely a brilliant strategist like yourself, who uses the fact that he plays on Brutal Friendly Fire as an argument point, should be able to manage surviving despite a rather weak attack remaining unresisted?
Why would you "strategize around" mind blast? I try to force enemies to attack with mind blast, because it is their weaker attack.  Using a mental resistance orb with that strategy would be very beneficial.

ArtDrake

I can see that. But I can also see the value in hit-and-run methodology, which doesn't really need much in the way of resistance, so I'm not exactly familiar with your strategy, meaning I'm not the best judge for this. If you would like the mental resistance orb, well, there's nothing I can do for you there, but I can still see your point.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling on September 04, 2010, 10:00:34 PM
I can see that. But I can also see the value in hit-and-run methodology, which doesn't really need much in the way of resistance, so I'm not exactly familiar with your strategy, meaning I'm not the best judge for this. If you would like the mental resistance orb, well, there's nothing I can do for you there, but I can still see your point.
Is that a yay or nay?

ArtDrake

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling on September 04, 2010, 11:04:42 PM
That is still a nay.
So, since you won't personally use it, then it shouldn't be in the game?  If I only want to use healing attacks with Duvalier, then would it be fair for me to say I want all the elemental attacks removed?

Quote from: Duckling on September 04, 2010, 10:00:34 PM
I can see that. But I can also see the value in hit-and-run methodology, which doesn't really need much in the way of resistance
With the "hit-and-run methodology" don't you often get hit?  You strike, the enemy strikes back, you retreat to heal, and then you strike again.  Wouldn't it be better to have resistance when the enemy strikes?  Your argument sounds like you are against all resistances.

KZ, you never properly explained why you don't like the mental resistance orb.

Cypher

If you have a problem, PM KZ.

ArtDrake

Thanks, Vanquish, but I'll pass.

Ertxiem

The argument for suggesting Orbs (or anything else) that it's supported by the majority of the regulars is based on 2 assumptions:
1. We are assuming that the majority of the regulars around here have an opinion close to the majority of the people that enjoy playing games like TSoG.
2. Craig takes time developing new content.
So we would prefer him to use his time creating something that we would like to see instead of him using his time to create something that we would dislike.

When I'm thinking on a suggestion one of the things that I think about is if it's interesting to multiple players (with different styles) or is it only interesting to few players. I tend to give more support to suggestions that may be interesting to many people.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

KZ

Well, methinks it's worth supporting those suggestions that you personally like, thus producing the statistics we work with- after all, we are all part of the group which, thanks to Craig, has some (limited) influence over what goes into TSoG. And some great ideas we have come up with over time, methinks ;)

The issue I have with the mental orb is that there are several unclassified attacks in the wiki, including the Tig, which make it ambigous as to how they should be classed- I suspect that it was simply an omission during production of TPA2, but either way, I'd rather first see all attacks classed, then see an orb which might apply to some of them. Otherwise, I don't mind it too much, but certainly prefer all the other ideas that eventually got formulated over it.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on September 06, 2010, 01:30:00 PMThe issue I have with the mental orb is that there are several unclassified attacks in the wiki, including the Tig, which make it ambigous as to how they should be classed- I suspect that it was simply an omission during production of TPA2, but either way, I'd rather first see all attacks classed, then see an orb which might apply to some of them. Otherwise, I don't mind it too much, but certainly prefer all the other ideas that eventually got formulated over it.
The ambigous attacks will not be afected by any orbs.  We already know that mindblast, feedback, and vengeance are not ambigous, because they were weakened when attacking Fernatus's mental resistance.  The Tig attack will probably end up physical like Sand Blast.

KZ

Well, ok, you persuaded me:  I'll go with "yay" then on this one, but in that case, I'd couple that to all attacks becoming classified, so there is not a single attack which remains un-classed- otherwise there will be voids which are hard to explain.

(Tig- "aerial" class, in terms of   a gas clowd? Or simply, hopefully, physical.)
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

I think it is time for revote for the mental-resistance orb.  I also don't "nays" should count unless you give a reason behind it.

Ertxiem

I don't think it's fair to discard clearly expressed votes. Some people may vote yay or nay based on the previous discussion but not mentioning it.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

Duskling

Quote from: KZ on September 04, 2010, 06:14:12 PM
- an orb which, when equipped, changes enemy immunity to resistance status (thus, damage decrease going from 100% to 50%), and changes resitance damage decrease from 50% to 25%.
Shouldn't inanimate objects always have a mental resistance? Just saying, as, if it's inanimate, it wouldn't be affected by mental attacks at all, what with the lack of a mind and all.