News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New Orb Ideas

Started by SmartyPants, August 20, 2010, 12:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

I vote yay for Mental Resistance and yay for the enemy resistance orb.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Ertxiem on September 06, 2010, 06:40:15 PMThe enemy resistance reducer orb may even work on battlefield objects. Either directly affecting microbes living in it (making them explode with mind blast :P ) or indirectly, say, by Duvalier being able to feel the presence of little bits of metal (or other conductive materials) and creating electric currents that, in turn, create electro-magnetic fields in them that would push different parts of the material apart, thus effectively dealing damage. A bit far-fetched but not impossible.
I am not completly sure what you are suggesting.

The Holy namelesskitty

THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

KZ

Ert is effectively suggesting what I did in a more scientific way: Duvalier somehow manages to influence bits and pieces inside inanimate objects to electrocute them (what mind blast does, really- as it overloads the brain synapses with too many electromagnetic impulses- info).

namelesskitty, just to make sure- you say "nay" to not counting battlefield objects amongst enemies which are influenced by the already accepted and formalised immunity/resistance orb?
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on September 06, 2010, 07:05:31 PM
Ert is effectively suggesting what I did in a more scientific way: Duvalier somehow manages to influence bits and pieces inside inanimate objects to electrocute them (what mind blast does, really- as it overloads the brain synapses with too many electromagnetic impulses- info).
Nay, because it is too big of a stretch. Can you honestly tell me that you see yourself useing that type of orb just to do damage on inanimate objects?  An elemental blast would be more effective anyway.

KZ

You know, actually, that was quite frustrating initially, when things like Soul Suck no longer worked on inanimate objects. I actually would use it, especially in things like getting chests and getting inanimate objects out of the way- I've created quite a few maps back in the day where destroying them was crucial, and not being able to use a cheap and effective attack like Feedback or Mind Blast greatly increased the difficulty of the game. So- yep. But I do agree that the explanation is too big of a stretch, unfortunately.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

ArtDrake

I would have liked to beat the battle in which the cracked rock blocks the entrance to the bandits' hideout with only Duvalier, and I did, but only by timing my attacks so precisely that I got rid of all the enemies before the reinforcements came. I was on Bandit 53, and Longbowman 17. I really would have liked to have that orb right about then.

Quote from: im2smart4uAre you suggesting that just because you won't use it, it shouldn't be in the game?

If we're going to have an orb that beats resists and immunes, I'd like to see it work on everything.

KZ

Quote from: Duckling on September 06, 2010, 07:16:30 PM
If we're going to have an orb that beats resists and immunes, I'd like to see it work on everything.

I take that as a "yay"?

I make that "yay" as well, though I'd love to see a good explanation for this (and it's certaily much less hassle for Craig as well- no need to code in exceptions to the rule).

PS
Ok, so far we have 4 "yay" and 2 "nay".
namelesskitty, if you don't mind, can you explain why you wouldn't want immunity/resistance working on battlefield objects?
Welcome to the forums!

The Holy namelesskitty

Nay, bacause an orb will have a very hard time protecting you physically, as for the other, it just gives me a sense that even though it sounds good it will not go over well.
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

KZ

Quote from: The Holy namelesskitty on September 06, 2010, 07:21:34 PM
it sounds good it will not go over well.
With respect to whom? Craig? The general forum populace?
If the latter, then the majority actually are in support. If the former- I guess it's for Craig himself to ultimately decide on all of the formulated ideas- and this is fan generated stuff. ;)
Welcome to the forums!

ArtDrake

What do you think the orb does? It sounds like you think it does something it doesn't.

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on September 06, 2010, 07:13:58 PM
You know, actually, that was quite frustrating initially, when things like Soul Suck no longer worked on inanimate objects.
Will the orb effect other teammate's attacks because that is a diffrent story.  How will the orb effect Iblis?

Quote from: Duckling on September 06, 2010, 07:16:30 PM
I would have liked to beat the battle in which the cracked rock blocks the entrance to the bandits' hideout with only Duvalier, and I did, but only by timing my attacks so precisely that I got rid of all the enemies before the reinforcements came. I was on Bandit 53, and Longbowman 17. I really would have liked to have that orb right about then.

Quote from: im2smart4uAre you suggesting that just because you won't use it, it shouldn't be in the game?

Thanks for taking my quote out of context.  You said how you see how other people could use the orb, but since you couldn't use it yourself, then you didn't want it in the game.  I ask whether anyone would use the orb.

KZ

Ok, let me clarify folks: with respect to the immunity/resistance orb, it stands thus: it reduces 100% decrease in attack damage to 50% (thus, from Immunity to Resistance) and from 59% to 25% (thus halves the effect of resistance). Issue: should this orb affect inanimate battlefield objects?

Iblis will be affected only by attacks of Duvalier and no one else. Having even a single teammate who can pack a punch with mind blast would be useful. Iblis' immunity will be not as effective, and resistance will also be halved. Thus, the orb will affect both of the properties.
Welcome to the forums!

bugfartboy